CA Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

egpndoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I will be attending dental school this fall, almost certainly at Pacific. But I have interviews coming up at the other 4 CA dental schools. I want to know how people would rank them in order of graduating competent dentists. i will more than likely not specialize, I don't care about weather or religion or research or the area around the school. I care about education and being able to do well. All opinions are welcomed, thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

egpndoc said:
I need some advice. I will be attending dental school this fall, almost certainly at Pacific. But I have interviews coming up at the other 4 CA dental schools. I want to know how people would rank them in order of graduating competent dentists. i will more than likely not specialize, I don't care about weather or religion or research or the area around the school. I care about education and being able to do well. All opinions are welcomed, thanks a lot.

then go to pacific...
It is such a great school for general dentists Faculty and students are so nice.. The school is great as well..
Plus, it is three years..

zidanereal2003 said:
then go to pacific...
It is such a great school for general dentists Faculty and students are so nice.. The school is great as well..
Plus, it is three years..

i know they graduate very competent general dentists and they treat you really good. they actually let the undergrads do perform endo on #1 and #16. any other school would give that to the endo residents (pacific doenst have this program) i am just a bit apprehensive about how tough it is going to be since the first year is like doing 2 years. im kind of the person that needs to be eased into things. but if its not too bad (the 3 pacific students that i have talked to so far say it hasnt) then i will go for pacific. where are you going in the fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
egpndoc said:
i know they graduate very competent general dentists and they treat you really good. they actually let the undergrads do perform endo on #1 and #16. any other school would give that to the endo residents (pacific doenst have this program) i am just a bit apprehensive about how tough it is going to be since the first year is like doing 2 years. im kind of the person that needs to be eased into things. but if its not too bad (the 3 pacific students that i have talked to so far say it hasnt) then i will go for pacific. where are you going in the fall?

Well, think of it this way. More than 100 students each year get into U of Pacific . Most of them do fine in their first year.. I am sure you will be Fine..
If you like the school, I would suggest you study there..
I am going to UPenn. It is my top choice. I loved it there when I intereviewed.
There are several reasons I chose Upenn over other schools ( I don't think it is important for you to know what they are)

I hope this helps..

zidanereal2003 said:
Well, think of it this way. More than 100 students each year get into U of Pacific . Most of them do fine in their first year.. I am sure you will be Fine..
If you like the school, I would suggest you study there..
I am going to UPenn. It is my top choice. I loved there when I intereviewed.
There are several reasons I chose Upenn over other schools ( I don't think it is important for you to know what they are)

I hope this helps..
i know UPenn is a great school. i applied there, but i havent heard form them and i applied in July. I dont know why. Upenn and Columbia are the only two out of state schools i would go to. I dont care baout the reasons you chose UPenn, those are personal. I just know its a good school. good luck with everything

egpndoc said:
i know UPenn is a great school. i applied there, but i havent heard form them and i applied in July. I dont know why. Upenn and Columbia are the only two out of state schools i would go to. I dont care baout the reasons you chose UPenn, those are personal. I just know its a good school. good luck with everything
Thanks
Good luck you too

Applied to all CA schools last year except Loma Linda.

Got into all of them; went to UCLA, thinking I should've gone to UPenn.

Competency as GP?
UOP would rank first, UCLA would rank closer to the bottom (less patients, much much more research), and USC/UCSF would rank somewhere in between, in my opinion.

I didn't interview @ Loma Linda, so I can't say anything there.

ive heard from multiple sources that loma linda's program is number one clinically i think uop is pretty high also...schools like uop and loma linda pump out good GPs esp if you dont wanna specialize.

ziptree said:

Competency as GP?
UOP would rank first, UCLA would rank closer to the bottom (less patients, much much more research), and USC/UCSF would rank somewhere in between, in my opinion.

jonnytight said:
ive heard from multiple sources that loma linda's program is number one clinically i think uop is pretty high also...schools like uop and loma linda pump out good GPs esp if you dont wanna specialize.

Their board scores are pretty low compared to other CA schools.

ziptree said:
Their board scores are pretty low compared to other CA schools.
u mena LLU or UoP has low board scores?

In comparison with other dental schools, i would agree UCLA would rank last.
Just want to point out that many clinical faculty left USC. That is likely to impact their program.
LLU is also a good clinical school.
Since there are specialty programs in UCSF, some of their patients may not go to dental student.
So my ranking
UOP, LLU, UCSF, USC, and UCLA.

ziptree said:

Competency as GP?

Why do you rank UCLA last, and especially that's the school you are at!

Well, you have to know that all graduates from all the accredited dental schools are competent(they should pass the license exam for sure). Basically meaning that all high school students should be able to write in English and learn alegbra too. If you have to put a ranking on sch, then this is what I would say.
Does it say much? that's up to you to decide.

If you want me to rank lifestyle as dental student, I would rank the sch across town 1st and 4th for UCLA. Overall, I think UCLA is great. If you dont mind hard work, I like it here. And Dugoni didnt even look at me, so I dont have to think much of them. Besides, I dont want to carry xxK more loan and have to force myself to earn money after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
LLU is a great school. Top in clinical studies, as mentioned earlier and a very friendly environment. Its also in a great location, a cushy suburb. Then again I hear UCLA is one very sweet neigborhood. USC is expensive, have relativly low board scores and not in an even passable environment. UCSF, dont know much, but it seemes to rank high as the best if your a CA resident. UOP's only claim to fame is the 3 year program and the great downtown location.

My list: LLU, UCLA, UOP, UCSF.................USC.

paolorossifan said:
LLU is a great school. Top in clinical studies, as mentioned earlier and a very friendly environment. Its also in a great location, a cushy suburb. Then again I hear UCLA is one very sweet neigborhood. USC is expensive, have relativly low board scores and not in an even passable environment. UCSF, dont know much, but it seemes to rank high as the best if your a CA resident. UOP's only claim to fame is the 3 year program and the great downtown location.

My list: LLU, UCLA, UOP, UCSF.................USC.

Erm, I disagree. UOP has great clinical instruction. Their operative dentistry class is way beyond ours (even though they started a quarter early, they're still farther than us if we were in our next quarter). They have a huge patient pool (SF), and everyone is a pretty tightly-knift family, especially if you went to UOP undergrad (which I did).

UCLA is in a very affluent neighborhood, shall I say, and thus, our patient waiting rooms are pretty much empty and the floors are spotless since no one ever walks on them. Our research, however, would rank higher than UOP's, but it's still pretty competitive to get into a decent research program here if you're not a Masters/PhD student.

USC's program is quite expensive, but I think of it as paying for free relaxation time. They still do alright on their boards, and most pass the CA license exam. Since USC is located closer to less well-off areas of the city, they have a larger patient pool than UCLA.

What else...I don't know, I'll update this post as I think of stuff, but for now, its back to History & Ethics and Oral Radiology for my midterms tomorrow.

ziptree said:
Erm, I disagree. UOP has great clinical instruction. Their operative dentistry class is way beyond ours (even though they started a quarter early, they're still farther than us if we were in our next quarter). They have a huge patient pool (SF), and everyone is a pretty tightly-knift family, especially if you went to UOP undergrad (which I did).

UCLA is in a very affluent neighborhood, shall I say, and thus, our patient waiting rooms are pretty much empty and the floors are spotless since no one ever walks on them. Our research, however, would rank higher than UOP's, but it's still pretty competitive to get into a decent research program here if you're not a Masters/PhD student.

USC's program is quite expensive, but I think of it as paying for free relaxation time. They still do alright on their boards, and most pass the CA license exam. Since USC is located closer to less well-off areas of the city, they have a larger patient pool than UCLA.

What else...I don't know, I'll update this post as I think of stuff, but for now, its back to History & Ethics and Oral Radiology for my midterms tomorrow.

I have a question: If you want to specialize...what would the rankings be for the 5 CA schools ? (in terms prepration, academic background, matching rates)

THanks for inputs!

Red823 said:
I have a question: If you want to specialize...what would the rankings be for the 5 CA schools ? (in terms prepration, academic background, matching rates)

THanks for inputs!

Specialize? Well I go to UC Davis and 8 alumni came back yesterday for a forum and gave us some useful information. Half were from Pacific and half were from UCSF. UCSF did a new thing this year which totally shocked me, they went from the traditional ABCDF grades to P/NP grades! This eliminates the class ranking so that everyone gets a chance to specialize, assuming they are qualified. The reason, one of the UCSF students noted, was because a rank 25 last year, who was very competent, did not get admitted into a OMS program because he wasn't in the top ten when he could have easily been rank 2 or 3 at another program.

I'm applying to dental school this year and I live and go to school on Northern California. So, UCSF and Pacific are my top choices. UCSF would probably be the easiest to specialize at 'cause the no-ranking seems like it would help a lot of students get into a specialty program. Pacific would be my #1 overall in CA though.

BTW...they're trying to get everyone to call it Pacific now...not UoP :D

Does anyone else want to share their personal ranking?

1. Uop/ucsf
2. Ucla
3. Ll
4. Usc

xxdakinexx said:
1. Uop/ucsf
2. Ucla
3. Ll
4. Usc
clinically: UoP/LLU, USC, UCSF, UCLA

Research: UCSF, UCLA, USC,LLU, UOP

Just what i can gather

Clinicially
1. UoP/LLU (LLU does more cases but uop faculty are much kinder to their students)
2. USC
3. UCLA (only because removable at UCLA is second to none)
4. UCSF.

Research? (Who cares really. What everyone cares about is how many people match to specialty).

Specialty

1. UCLA
2. USC (with their PBL, many are specializing. Heared more than 10 matched to OMFS this year)
3. UCSF (may change with new curriculum but would have to wait a few years for the new curriculum class to apply to specialty)
4. UOP/LLU

Ucla ranks higher than UCSF b/c it has a good denture course!!

And the good denture course is taught by a good dental insructor, Mark Hunt Sr.

This is what I heard from a 3rd year.
They say we may not have the best patient pool,
but our clinical faculty is so awesome that kinda balances out.

first of all all these rankings of CA dental school are their opinions. people tend to rank well known schools first like USC UCLA, but we are not in undergraduate anymore. for dental school we have to look at the facts. i specifically talked to UCSF Dean and other schools Deans during interviews. The said the ADA does rank dental school but they only tell the Deans of each school (I guess to avoid discussions like this). So the Deans told me that there are many different ranks, one for research, one for clinical, etc. For 2005: (according to CA dental school deans and ADA)

research ranking: Uconn, UCSF
clinical rankings: LLU, ?, UCSF

These are the facts from ADA so if you have any questions call UCSF Dean. Trust me I was also surprised, but you cant get any accurate than this. But eventually it all depends on where you want to go. We are all going to learn the same things basically. it is just how you use that knowledge.

Geez. For real, then UCSF is the bomb. I'm going, that's all there is to it!!!

Come on UCSF. Come on UCSF. Take me. Take me. Take me!!!

ecrdoubles15 said:
first of all all these rankings of CA dental school are their opinions. people tend to rank well known schools first like USC UCLA, but we are not in undergraduate anymore. for dental school we have to look at the facts. i specifically talked to UCSF Dean and other schools Deans during interviews. The said the ADA does rank dental school but they only tell the Deans of each school (I guess to avoid discussions like this). So the Deans told me that there are many different ranks, one for research, one for clinical, etc. For 2005: (according to CA dental school deans and ADA)

These are the facts from ADA so if you have any questions call UCSF Dean. Trust me I was also surprised, but you cant get any accurate than this. But eventually it all depends on where you want to go. We are all going to learn the same things basically. it is just how you use that knowledge.

Interesting info! Thanks! Anything else you got from your conversation with the deans about the CA schools? Obviously they'd want to only mention the good things about their schools, but any bad things?

Red823 said:
Interesting info! Thanks! Anything else you got from your conversation with the deans about the CA schools? Obviously they'd want to only mention the good things about their schools, but any bad things?

you know how it is, they only tell us about their good points, and when you ask them about their bad points they somehow turn it into good points. anyways, good luck with your choices. just remember it ultimatley depends on where you want to go. we are all going to take the same board exams and learn the same things. laters

ecrdoubles15 said:
you know how it is, they only tell us about their good points, and when you ask them about their bad points they somehow turn it into good points. anyways, good luck with your choices. just remember it ultimatley depends on where you want to go. we are all going to take the same board exams and learn the same things. laters

True true...

So where do you go to school? why you chose that place? Don't need to share if you don't feel like it...just curious is all

Thanks

i can also verify for this (jess_sb also stated this in another forum) as i too went to ucsf's interview....and i was suprised by the rankings and ucsf became my number 1 school. i really do hope that i hear good news from them also within the next couple weeks.

ecrdoubles15 said:

ziptree said:

Competency as GP?

Hi ziptree,

I applied to all CA schools as well and now I have an interview coming up at UCLA. I have already been accepted to Upenn. Now, I'm trying to decide between Upenn and UCLA. I'm a CA resident and I love the weather here, but that's not any substitution for low patient pool and less clinical emphasis. I'm curious as to why you would chose Upenn over UCLA ?

niceteeth said:
Hi ziptree,

I applied to all CA schools as well and now I have an interview coming up at UCLA. I have already been accepted to Upenn. Now, I'm trying to decide between Upenn and UCLA. I'm a CA resident and I love the weather here, but that's not any substitution for low patient pool and less clinical emphasis. I'm curious as to why you would chose Upenn over UCLA ?
because UPENN is just way better than UCLA (by far). it basically depends if you want to stay near home (UCLA) or go to a top school (UPENN). why would you want to desperately look for patients while you have other things to worry about. good luck. laters

How is UPenn better than UCLA? I got accepted to both but it seems to me they are equally great schools. UCLA is pass/no pass which for me personally is a better option. Students work together and there is less competition at UCLA . UPenn is a very competitive learning environment. Who wants to worry about getting "A's" in a curriculum that is tough to begin with?

ecrdoubles15 said:
because UPENN is just way better than UCLA (by far). it basically depends if you want to stay near home (UCLA) or go to a top school (UPENN). why would you want to desperately look for patients while you have other things to worry about. good luck. laters

BUBBLICIOUS said:
How is UPenn better than UCLA? I got accepted to both but it seems to me they are equally great schools. UCLA is pass/no pass which for me personally is a better option. Students work together and there is less competition at UCLA . UPenn is a very competitive learning environment. Who wants to worry about getting "A's" in a curriculum that is tough to begin with?
it depends on if you want to specialize or not. if you do, go to UPENN definitely. im not sayign UCLA is bad, its just that people there tell me its such a pain finding patients. anyways, laters. go where you want to.

ecrdoubles15 said:

Actually...a current 4th year at UPenn tells me that the patient pool at UPenn is definitely thinning, making it much more difficult for the class to gain points necessary to graduate. In fact, in recent years they have reduced the number of clinical points necessary to graduate to reflect the reduction in patient pool. Not say that UPenn is a bad school because it's one of the best. Great matching rates if you think of specializing.

just got an email from one of our most active 2nd year students. we, students, are starting a campaign to promote our clinics to people in different sectors such as other bruins students. we want to draw them to us. so the future is ours to create. and yes, our upperclassmen care about us. same as we are working on curriculum to give class of 2009+ a happier life. i dont care where u go. u get what u put in. upenn and ucla are great dental sch. seriously, upenn is my number 1 private sch to go to. but, upenn is expensive for me and kinda far from home, and cold(i m a SoCal person, hehe).

ecrdoubles15 said:
it depends on if you want to specialize or not. if you do, go to UPENN definitely. im not sayign UCLA is bad, its just that people there tell me its such a pain finding patients. anyways, laters. go where you want to.

The opposite is true. If you want to specialize and dont want to stress yourself out go to UCLA. Because UCLA has P/NP you could "rank" #82 and pull a 90+ on the boards and have a better chance at matching than a student that ranks #20 at PENN with a 90+. The point is with P/NP and no grades the board scores is all that matters. Also, if you specialize you will not need to graduate with great hand skills b/c you will learn that all during your specialty training.

J2AZ said:
The opposite is true. If you want to specialize and dont want to stress yourself out go to UCLA. Because UCLA has P/NP you could "rank" #82 and pull a 90+ on the boards and have a better chance at matching than a student that ranks #20 at PENN with a 90+. The point is with P/NP and no grades the board scores is all that matters. Also, if you specialize you will not need to graduate with great hand skills b/c you will learn that all during your specialty training.

actually the main thing they look at is board scores and where you went to dental school. becaue they know a 90 from UPENN is better than a 90 from UCLA just because its UPENN. also a 90 from UCSF is better than 90 from UCLA. its all relative. anyways, it doesnt matter. just go to school and do good. first we have to get through dental school.

dude, i dont see your logic. A 90 is a 90 everywhere. If you really want to specialize, please do better than a 90 cos class average for many schools are above 90. well, i guess i see your logic. cos our class board's average is like 92. A 90 at ucla looks really bad. but that doesnt make other 90 any better, does it?

I like Upenn. Hard to tell which one is better. For ucla and ucsf, we pay a lot less. Does it worth the extra money? Will Upenn utilize those money to help students, ie research, clinical exposure, etc... remember though, specialty is some extra years adding to your load.

it is ok to look down on other schools(no sch is perfect), but please provide solid evidence and strong reasoning.

ecrdoubles15 said:
actually the main thing they look at is board scores and where you went to dental school. becaue they know a 90 from UPENN is better than a 90 from UCLA just because its UPENN. also a 90 from UCSF is better than 90 from UCLA. its all relative. anyways, it doesnt matter. just go to school and do good. first we have to get through dental school.

ecdoesit said:
dude, i dont see your logic. A 90 is a 90 everywhere. If you really want to specialize, please do better than a 90 cos class average for many schools are above 90. well, i guess i see your logic. cos our class board's average is like 92. A 90 at ucla looks really bad. but that doesnt make other 90 any better, does it?

I like Upenn. Hard to tell which one is better. For ucla and ucsf, we pay a lot less. Does it worth the extra money? Will Upenn utilize those money to help students, ie research, clinical exposure, etc... remember though, specialty is some extra years adding to your load.

it is ok to look down on other schools(no sch is perfect), but please provide solid evidence and strong reasoning.

first of all im not looking down on UCLA at all. I was just answering some guy's question. Just in terms of specialization between UCLA and UPENN, you have better chance at UPENN. but i know UCLA is good. I live 20 minutes away from it. laters

ecdoesit said:

Maybe a bit off topic but has the getting patients gotten any better with the new outer clinic programs at UCLA? Thanks ecdoesit

i have no idea. one thing i m sure is that we wont get over-night result. If you have to choose a sch based on their clinical exposure solely, I dont recommend UCLA. But if you look at everything else, UCLA is great. though there is a new program starting from dental students to promote our clinics to other groups in the community. This is a brand new program. we just started to accept application. many will apply but few will be selected to help out promoting our clinics. Students are pretty active here.

Red823 said:
Maybe a bit off topic but has the getting patients gotten any better with the new outer clinic programs at UCLA? Thanks ecdoesit

ecdoesit said:
i have no idea. one thing i m sure is that we wont get over-night result. If you have to choose a sch based on their clinical exposure solely, I dont recommend UCLA. But if you look at everything else, UCLA is great. though there is a new program starting from dental students to promote our clinics to other groups in the community. This is a brand new program. we just started to accept application. many will apply but few will be selected to help out promoting our clinics. Students are pretty active here.

Can you give us all more details about the new programs that will promote the clinics? Will there be actual clinics outside of the main one at school? Or will the patients from these promoting programs have to come to the main clinic at school to be treated?

On a side note, do you know of the matching rates for UCLA this year?

Thanks!

It is too new that I havent got much info yet.
It targets mainly to undergrad students. Quite expandable.
These programs will bring new patients to our main clinic.

Matching rate? I have no idea. I dont really care about specialty, hehe. This morning, I overheard a D3 said pretty much everybody applied got in, except ortho and endo programs. Considering we hve ~30 people going into specialty without counting GPR or AEGD. I heard about 50% matching rate for ortho and endo. is that good or bad?

Red823 said:
Can you give us all more details about the new programs that will promote the clinics? Will there be actual clinics outside of the main one at school? Or will the patients from these promoting programs have to come to the main clinic at school to be treated?

On a side note, do you know of the matching rates for UCLA this year?

Thanks!

ecdoesit said:
It is too new that I havent got much info yet.
It targets mainly to undergrad students. Quite expandable.
These programs will bring new patients to our main clinic.

Matching rate? I have no idea. I dont really care about specialty, hehe. This morning, I overheard a D3 said pretty much everybody applied got in, except ortho and endo programs. Considering we hve ~30 people going into specialty without counting GPR or AEGD. I heard about 50% matching rate for ortho and endo. is that good or bad?

30 people applied...that's a pretty good number. Considering if most got in then that's pretty good matching rate I'd say. I have no clue if 50% matching rate for ortho and/or endo is good or not :p

YOu say the promoting programs target "undergrad students"? I was under the impression that dent students go out and promote too hehe my bad. Well if you know more about please do share the info as i'm sure some of us ( i know i am) would be interested in knowing how this spans out.

Red823 said:
YOu say the promoting programs target "undergrad students"? I was under the impression that dent students go out and promote too hehe my bad. Well if you know more about please do share the info as i'm sure some of us ( i know i am) would be interested in knowing how this spans out.

I would also be interested in learning more about this "undergrad program" that will improve UCLA's clientele. From the looks of it, these undergrad programs only help pre-dents get volunteer hours/experience.

You may have mistaken my words. Forgive me that i just had a 7 hrs ride from mammoth and it was late at night.

it was 30 got accepted. i would say about 40 applied. i m sure there are many who applied to GPR or AEGD, too.

and yes, the dental students will go out there and do everything they can to drag undergrad students to come to our clinic. ok, we are not that desperate, but we will try=)

Red823 said:
30 people applied...that's a pretty good number. Considering if most got in then that's pretty good matching rate I'd say. I have no clue if 50% matching rate for ortho and/or endo is good or not :p

yeah, get those undergrads in the lab. Just tell them that they can use it as an internship opportunity that will help them in the future when they apply for dental school or something.

Or... can the dental department pay them to have them come in? Like the way it is usually done in the psychology department.

ecdoesit said:
You may have mistaken my words. Forgive me that i just had a 7 hrs ride from mammoth and it was late at night.

it was 30 got accepted. i would say about 40 applied. i m sure there are many who applied to GPR or AEGD, too.

and yes, the dental students will go out there and do everything they can to drag undergrad students to come to our clinic. ok, we are not that desperate, but we will try=)

Definitely strange question to ask and absolutely out of topic to OP's post...sorry in advance.

Do dent students at UCLA wear scrubs to class? Is this the mandatory apparel? Also, when you're in clinic...it's all nice business casual type with no jeans? Rumors I hear from schools and people...just want to know if there's some truth to it. :D

no dress code in didactic classes. in the clinic, we have to wear scrubs and gowns, follow the almighty OHSA guidelines. each yr, we have 3 pairs of babyblue scrubs. u can wear it 24/7/365 if u want.

psych has research to back them up. besides, paying off patients would somewhat consider cheating. it doesnt make sense in real life. will u pay off ur patients just to get enough patients?

Red823 said:
Definitely strange question to ask and absolutely out of topic to OP's post...sorry in advance.

Do dent students at UCLA wear scrubs to class? Is this the mandatory apparel? Also, when you're in clinic...it's all nice business casual type with no jeans? Rumors I hear from schools and people...just want to know if there's some truth to it. :D