CA Dominican U PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RumMonkey

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m starting to explore my options for transitioning from my career in corporate America to becoming a psychologist. I’ve had the good fortune of working with some great executive coaches, as well as some excellent LMFTs and psychologists, and have a passion for painting. I was thinking of going into private practice and doing a blend of executive coaching, art therapy, and research.

I have a BA in an unrelated field (2001) and my MBA (2016). Currently I’m working on getting some basic prep classes out of the way at my local community college. I do fine with school, but let’s just say I’m probably not Stanford material, unless they give bonus points for being an adult learner (read: over 40).

Does anyone know if the PhD in Art Therapy Psychology from Dominican in San Rafael would meet the requirements for licensure as a psychologist? I have a note out to the school, but am waiting for a reply. Has anyone heard of the quality of the program? I believe it moved there from Notre Dame de Namur in Belmont, but I don’t know how good it was previously or how it is now. They have a PhD and an LMFT that I’m interested in.

My current thought is to start my coaching practice and work on the Art Therapy LMFT part-time. Once I am allowed to be a therapist, then quit my day job, work on the PhD, and fill any extra hours with coaching & therapy.

Another local(ish) option that crossed my path was the University of the Pacific in Stockton PsyD. I did not see anything detailed about the practicum and student teacher ratio though, so it is tough to tell how it is. I did search the forum and the last thing I saw was from someone who went there over ten years ago, so I am not sure if things have changed for the better.

Thoughts, cautions, advice?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the PhD in Art Therapy Psychology from Dominican in San Rafael would meet the requirements for licensure as a psychologist?
No and it never will be. Nor is art therapy a regulated/licensed practice in a majority of states, including California.

See APA Accreditation - Home for more info on the types of education that will result in licensure for psychologists
Another local(ish) option that crossed my path was the University of the Pacific in Stockton PsyD.
As a CA native, I've literally never heard of this school (but had for Dominican and Notre Dame de Namur). Their PsyD program does not appear to be accreditated by APA, which is a pretty low bar to meet. So hard pass for me.
I do fine with school, but let’s just say I’m probably not Stanford material, unless they give bonus points for being an adult learner (read: over 40).
You don't need to be Stanford material to be a psychologist. Most of us here probably wouldn't have gotten into Stanford (I certainly didn't). But you do need an understanding of behavioral science research foundations and that can only be acquired with a significant time commitment (e.g., RA for a research lab).

There are programs that offer shortcuts but as you know from the business world, a Kellogg or Wharton MBA grad is probably pretty different from a Touru U online grad.

Based on your interests/career phase, an LMFT or other master's degree that's licensable from a Cal St program might be the best fit for you if you want to operate within regulated and evidence-based spaces for your next career move.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks so much for your reply!

Yes, I definitely want the ability to work in the regulated and evidence-based manner: one of the reasons why coaching was so helpful to me was it helped me make the connection between some of my less than desirable leadership traits and past trauma…which I then worked through with a great therapist. I want to be able to do that for other people.

okay, sounds like it is back to Google and trying to find a good lmft or lcsw program in the sf bay area.

thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Talk to those LMFTs and psychologists you know about how they got to where they are.