CA ORM. 3.41 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 510 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenmonkeyy

Reaction score
Hello!

I graduated in June of last year from a UC and I've been really lost as to what steps to take next. I applied to MD schools during the past 2019-2020 cycle, which wasn't a great idea in hindsight; got only Rs. I'm currently studying for an MCAT retake scheduled for 6/5, looking to get around a 515. Is this enough to balance out my disheartening sGPA and apply this coming cycle? Should I do a DIY postbacc? Maybe an SMP? Here are my ECs:

- 1 yr basic undergrad research, no publications
- 2000 hrs/2 yrs emergency dept medical scribe
- 2 yrs in leadership in 2 clubs during university
- 200 hrs non-clinical volunteering
- No clinical volunteering :(
- 3 month long study abroad public health program in the Dominican Republic (intermediate Spanish fluency)
- 500 hrs medical assistant- This is my current job.

I also have 5 strong LORs from professors/physicians/PI from my lab.

I'm honestly looking into just MD schools as I'd ideally like to specialize in emergency medicine, but who knows. Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking to specialize in EM, a DO school would be perfect. EM isn't nearly as competitive as some other specialties. Even with a 515, your GPA is lethal for almost any MD program, and your ECs don't really make up for it. If I were you, I would just apply DO and forget about retaking the MCAT.

On the other hand, if you feel like you have to go to an MD program (Despite the impressive D.O. match this year), you will have to do some sort of Post-Bac GPA fixer - which may take a lot longer than you think. @Goro has a great post on GPA reinvention you should read.

If you insist, retake the MCAT, but apply both MD and DO this year. Otherwise, you are looking at another year or two of GPA fixing.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're looking to specialize in EM, a DO school would be perfect. EM isn't nearly as competitive as some other specialties. Even with a 515, your GPA is lethal for almost any MD program, and your ECs don't really make up for it. If I were you, I would just apply DO and forget about retaking the MCAT.

On the other hand, if you feel like you have to go to an MD program (Despite the impressive D.O. match this year), you will have to do some sort of Post-Bac GPA fixer - which may take a lot longer than you think. @Goro has a great post on GPA reinvention you should read.

If you insist, retake the MCAT, but apply both MD and DO this year. Otherwise, you are looking at another year or two of GPA fixing.
Thanks so much! I guess I'm just worried that I might change my mind about what to specialize in after getting in, especially because of the changes to STEP 1. Other than that, DO does sound like a great idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! I guess I'm just worried that I might change my mind about what to specialize in after getting in, especially because of the changes to STEP 1. Other than that, DO does sound like a great idea.
I see what you're saying, but DOs still have to take the COMLEX exam - which is reported as a score instead of P/F. Potentially, if you did well enough on the COMLEX, you could still show that you are competitive for an Ortho or Derm position.

Hello!

I graduated in June of last year from a UC and I've been really lost as to what steps to take next. I applied to MD schools during the past 2019-2020 cycle, which wasn't a great idea in hindsight; got only Rs. I'm currently studying for an MCAT retake scheduled for 6/5, looking to get around a 515. Is this enough to balance out my disheartening sGPA and apply this coming cycle? Should I do a DIY postbacc? Maybe an SMP? Here are my ECs:

- 1 yr basic undergrad research, no publications
- 2000 hrs/2 yrs emergency dept medical scribe
- 2 yrs in leadership in 2 clubs during university
- 200 hrs non-clinical volunteering
- No clinical volunteering :(
- 3 month long study abroad public health program in the Dominican Republic (intermediate Spanish fluency)
- 500 hrs medical assistant- This is my current job.

I also have 5 strong LORs from professors/physicians/PI from my lab.

I'm honestly looking into just MD schools as I'd ideally like to specialize in emergency medicine, but who knows. Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you so much!
If you are retaking the MCAT, try to improve by at least 10 points (520) to make the shot for MD worthwhile. But if you really want MD, you need to look at postbac options as opposed to going for a decent DO shot. It's your money and your education debt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Ok sounds good, thanks to both of you for the advice! I'm starting to lean towards DO but I'll look into all my options.

Ok sounds good, thanks to both of you for the advice! I'm starting to lean towards DO but I'll look into all my options.

It is true it's harder for DO to get into competitive specialty, but with your stats, it might take you 2 yrs to repair your GPA for MD. And there is no guarantee you will get in.

Once you are in med school, you might find out you enjoy plastics or ortho; you might also find out you like FM or IM or Neurology. If you want to become a doctor, get into med school first and the rest will take care of itself.

Last edited: