CA pharmacists: What's going to happen in the next three years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's terrible...
1 tech only? How do you survive?
What can you do? It was Sunday so, I guess not so bad.... It’s the new norm. You just do everything. It was a 12 hour shift. Today’s my day off. I’m still in bed recovering.

Members don't see this ad.

I like how people think retail is for the misfits who cannot get into residency. Our classmate who was ranked #1 decided to go into retail. Could easily do residency. Many classmates got hospital positions without residency either, which is funny because some did residency just to do that same job. I love retail. I dont have to deal with big egos pharmacists in a small room. I can still make an impact with my fresh clinical knowledge to answer patient questions about their doctor treatments and what I think is best. I make recommendations that are cost-effective and accepted by doctors. And fun techs to work with. Retail is only bad if you have bad techs. Otherwise, it is WAY more enjoyable than my clinical rotations in hospitals.

I freely admit I can’t handle retail work. I’d probably blow a gasket having to deal with entitled customers.

At least in a hospital, there’s incentive to play nice (YMMV, obvs) since you’re all technically coworkers. Hunting down docs is way easier. I get a chair. I don’t have to count anything!

But then again I’m a double headed unicorn near San Francisco and make way more than retail pharmacists here, so take my post with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody knows about Chico and Susansville California. How would you rate living in any of these cities / town. I could potentially get a job offer there and I want to know what I'm signing up for

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody knows about Chico and Susansville California. How would you rate living in any of these cities / town. I could potentially get a job offer there and I want to know what I'm signing up for
I live and work in Chico. PM me for any info.

Reactions: 1 user
2017 grads working for the 3-letter chain are not getting 40 hours in Chico. You can expect the same. They consider 30 hours to be full time.

Last edited:
2017 grads working for the 3-letter chain are not getting 40 hours in Chico. You can expect the same. They consider 30 hours to be full time.

Really? Even in Chico?

But what about the ones who do provide status and have advanced practioner pharmacist license?

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, really. They over-hired and now the area is saturated.

Sorry to hear. I graduated long before 2017, was also offered around 30 hrs from a chain. Was pretty down cause when I started school we still had sign on bonuses and a shortage. Got a doctorate, 200K in debt and couldn't even land a full time job at the time. Things got worse before the got better for me, was treated like **** by my DM, floated to a lot of stores with angry ass disgruntled techs. Last day sure did feel sweet.

I work for said 3-letter chain in Chico; not only am I getting 40 hours or more a week, I’m having trouble getting floaters (or anyone) to cover my shifts for when I want time off.

I work for said 3-letter chain in Chico; not only am I getting 40 hours or more a week, I’m having trouble getting floaters (or anyone) to cover my shifts for when I want time off.
Well to be fair Chico is pretty rural.

Even the hospitals in Chico and Redding areas want residency or experience.

Well to be fair Chico is pretty rural.

I mean, its no Bay area or LA, and the area around Chico is basically farmland and tumbleweed, but Chico itself is a pretty nice place (minus the weather and geographic isolation). Chico State brings energy to the place that wouldn't ordinarily be there.

Chico has only a population of 220k compared to 18 million in the Greater LA area. I can only guess that it would take only a small number of unemployed or underemployed new grads from SoCal to saturate the Chico region.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCI is opening a pharmacy school and so is Long Beach. That make 14-15 schools in California plus influx of student going to out of state and coming back to a saturated market.

There is going to be alot underemployment.

I haven't seen a 2016 or 2017 grad at WM. I guess they all got into Kaiser or are living the life making 200k in the bay as clinical pharmacists

Chico is not that bad. Places like Chico or anywhere in the Salinas Valley aren't cosmopolitan but they are not far from "civilization." It's not like you're living in Crescent City or El Centro although I'm sure those places have their charms too

We're almost at the three-year mark. I think the predictions were spot on.

No one saw the CPJE freeze coming.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m hearing rumors about license issuing slowing down across all states because of that.

My gut says if the defendant breached CPJE, there might be a chance they also breached NAPLEX and disseminated that exam as well.

Even if I stay in pharmacy school, I will be far too late to the party to even have a chance of earning OT. 60-80% of pharmacists in my graduating class (2020) will be unemployed. Glad I won't have to worry about it. There just won't be enough spots for them all. It will be interesting to see how hard the job market tanks when the c/o 2017 graduates in a couple months.
60-80% unemployment in 2020 sounds about right.

• Haha
60-80% unemployment in 2020 sounds about right.

Wow! PAtoPharmBackToPA would have been graduating in 2020? It doesn't seem like his posts of woe have been that long ago. FYI, yes PA, your prediction is clearly wrong (apart from specific cities), there isn't 60 - 80% unemployment among graduating classes.

My manager hired a bunch of new grads to see if it would help the pharmacy. Just a bunch of lazy bums who are unprepared to take the grind. People in their late 20s tend to have a sense of entitlement and work less. Some are already demanding more vacation and they just started. I can only laugh at management for hiring these tools.

My manager hired a bunch of new grads to see if it would help the pharmacy. Just a bunch of lazy bums who are unprepared to take the grind. People in their late 20s tend to have a sense of entitlement and work less. Some are already demanding more vacation and they just started. I can only laugh at management for hiring these tools.

Management just wants to brag to their superiors how they were able to save $20/hr by hiring new grads.

Reactions: 5 users

I forget, what kind of Rph work do you do?

Wow! PAtoPharmBackToPA would have been graduating in 2020? It doesn't seem like his posts of woe have been that long ago. FYI, yes PA, your prediction is clearly wrong (apart from specific cities), there isn't 60 - 80% unemployment among graduating classes.

I am not sure it would have mattered when he would have graduated.

Since programs are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to admitting people these days compared to 20 years ago (aside from 0-6 programs, most of whom scraped the bottom for decades) but then they are actually allowed to graduate, it's not surprising.