CA resident - which OOS schools to include?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dymm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just wanted to get some advice on which OOS schools I should apply to as a CA resident. I am applying to all the CA schools (except Loma Linda) and 2 AZ schools. As for other OOS schools I was thinking about:

Roseman
Penn (dentist writing me the LOR went to Upenn, so I guess I will apply there)
Temple
Midwestern-Illinois

Please let me know if
my list of schools to apply to is looking foolish to you guys. I would be very grateful to go to any school at this point, so should I add any other OOS friendly schools where I would have a small chance?

Some stats

cGPA/sciGPA: - (bio major; upward trend since sophomore yr... :()
formal post-bac GPA: - (32 qtr units so far..)
DAT: -
I have good experience in volunteering as a dental assistant for both general dentist
(+450hrs) and an endodontist (~50hrs). I obtained a x-ray license recently, and
thinking about taking a coronal polishing course.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These look like good choices. I am a CA resident and got into Midwestern Illinois. Also, any new schools that are options are always good to apply to. You should add Oregon as well. Good luck!

UNLV. OHSU. UW, UConn, Creighton.
I would apply to Texas school as well. your stats are good.
One thing I wish I knew before I apply. cost of attending. Cheaper the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=635046

I followed that list more or less. There are some schools you may not want to consider because even though they accept a large % of oos, they don't actually have that many seats available. There are some schools that you might not want to attend simply because of location...

Add pittsburgh to your list! Pitt is very cheap (relatively). That pdf for cost of estimated attendance has pit at 307k, which is only 20k or so more expensive than our state schools.

***(this is almost a quick note myself also so please bare with me)

Thank you all for your help!
I read up on a few schools you guys have suggested, and I am feeling iffy about some of these schools. I will have to contact them regarding the some of the issues, but if you guys have any insights.. they are always welcome.

UNLV (requires 4 LORs... need 4th-not-so-strong-LOR from a biochem professor)
UW (asks for 3 different LORs, one of which is a community service type, which I unfortunately do not have.. anyone know how strict the rules are on this?)
UConn (web site said "for initial review you should have a science GPA of 3.2". I technically do not have this, so I'm not sure)
Texas schools (seem very OOS unfriendly to me according to the info/stats I found)

Thanks again guys!!

Last edited:
Quote: "UNLV (requires 4 LORs... need 4th-not-so-strong-LOR from a biochem professor)" <-- is this true? I haven't found this listed anywhere on the site & I'm from CA planning to attend there.
Creighton has a very small % of OOS application (~12 seats) so I'm not sure if you want to consider that.
Don't apply to any Texas school. They are very OOS unfriendly.

I'm from CA & planning to apply to all the schools you are. I'm also considering Boston , .Virginia Commonwealth, Case Western. .All 3 have solid programs and are considered "easy-to-get-into."

Quote: "UNLV (requires 4 LORs... need 4th-not-so-strong-LOR from a biochem professor)" <-- is this true? I haven't found this listed anywhere on the site & I'm from CA planning to attend there.
Creighton has a very small % of OOS application (~12 seats) so I'm not sure if you want to consider that.

I'm from CA & planning to apply to all the schools you are. I'm also considering Boston , .Virginia Commonwealth, Case Western. .All 3 have solid programs and are considered "easy-to-get-into."

Creighton shows 84% out of state enrollees, not sure where you are getting your number from...

Trust me, no program is "easy to get into." Its a random crap shoot more then anything unless you're the perfect applicant.

Creighton shows 84% out of state enrollees, not sure where you are getting your number from...

His out of state numbers are wrong but I wouldn't call Creighton OOS friendly. Many of their OOS students are from neighboring states. They also reserve seats for their Utah distance program.

Hey tangy, I found this info under the "Admission Info: FAQs section". I copy pasted the following from UNLV website:

How many letters of evaluation are needed? Do I need a committee letter?
Three letters of evaluation are required of which two must be from science professors. It is preferred that the third letter come from a liberal arts professor but an employer, pastor, etc is acceptable. In addition to the 3 letters, a letter from a dentist you have observed or worked for is required. Not all schools have prehealth professions committees. If your school does, then a committee letter will fulfill the requirement of three letters.

I'm not quite sure how I will fulfill this requirement myself, because I don't really know any liberal arts professors. I will probably just try to get LORs from 3 sci professors and 1 dentist. It will be a shame if they reject me due to this b/c I have some friends/family around that area, and it's close to CA.

Apply to Pitt. The difference between in-state tuition and out-of-state tuition is only 6K (39K/year IS and 45K/year OOS). Pitt's a good school too. Research more on it if you're interested.

Hello again everyone!
I am finalizing my application and just wanted to bump this thread one more time for additional opinions and advice on my current school list. I came up with this list after considering all the advice from helper sdn members, checking LOE/class requirements, and so on...

***Current list:
1. UoP
2. UCSF
3. UCLA
4. USC
5. WesternU (Pomona)
6. Midwestern (AZ)
7. Midwestern (Illinois)
8. OHSU
9. Roseman
10. Columbia
11. NYU
12. Case Western (Ohio)
13. Temple
14. Penn
15. BU or Tufts?

Last edited:
Apply to Pitt. The difference between in-state tuition and out-of-state tuition is only 6K (39K/year IS and 45K/year OOS). Pitt's a good school too. Research more on it if you're interested.

Unfortunately I do not have 3 sci LOEs and decided not to apply here.

Try detroit mercy
They are oos friendly and the school is also increasing class size