CA2 and above ITE score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucladoc2b

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I know CA1 ITE scores are often used for fellowship (and to guage Basic readiness) is there any value to a high CA2/CA3 score?

Members don't see this ad.

Having a great ITE score doesn’t guarantee you anything when applying for fellowships, but it’s probably better than having a terrible score when going through the process.

More importantly, I presume that there is some “Mendoza line” for ITE scores under which the risk/likelihood of failing the actual Written/Advanced Exam goes way up.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of programs build in “carrots” to encourage ITE studying, particularly in CA-3 when scores tend to decline. Mine offered to pay for Advanced exam fees above a certain threshold, I’ve also seen bonuses to education fund and extra “academic” days.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t understand questions like these. The whole point of residency is to graduate and become a consultant level physician. Not mediocre. Not a nurse. Not a technical monkey. You want to be someone the internists and surgeons trust and look to for guidance on their patients. That means reading and studying and doing well on ITE. While the score itself doesn’t matter, residents should try to do well and study. That is the value of a high ITE score: you’re a doctor who worked hard and studied and knows their specialty and can act as a consultant. Otherwise, why didn’t you just go to CRNA school?

Reactions: 12 users
CA2 ITE matters as well, some fellowship programs asked me to forward my updated ITE scores.

Reactions: 2 users
All the programs I applied to for fellowship wanted my CA-2 ITE's once they were available.
I don't think CA-3 matters much, except for things like Advanced exam readiness, personal pride, and external rewards / punishments from your program.

I don’t understand questions like these. The whole point of residency is to graduate and become a consultant level physician. Not mediocre. Not a nurse. Not a technical monkey. You want to be someone the internists and surgeons trust and look to for guidance on their patients. That means reading and studying and doing well on ITE. While the score itself doesn’t matter, residents should try to do well and study. That is the value of a high ITE score: you’re a doctor who worked hard and studied and knows their specialty and can act as a consultant. Otherwise, why didn’t you just go to CRNA school?

Sigh. This isn't helpful. But thanks.

Burneracct -

I don’t disagree with what you said, but put yourself in the Fellowship Director’s shoes: for example, ACGME cares about the board certification rates of the fellowship’s alumni. And a program wants to brag about having 100% board and echo cert rates for the past however many years. Folks applying with high scores might be any better clinicians or know any more (or they might be better an know more), but they sure are good test takers.
If there’s one interview slot left for a fellowship cycle, I can’t really blame the PD for choosing to interview the guy with 95s versus the guy with 59s, if all else equal.

I dont know about y'all but I'm not applying to fellowship and am currently doing month 2 of cardiac. Obviously, I'm studying, I can't just NOT study, but my motivation is not very high at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont know about y'all but I'm not applying to fellowship and am currently doing month 2 of cardiac. Obviously, I'm studying, I can't just NOT study, but my motivation is not very high at all.

I’m a CA-1 and I’m already burnt out on a chill PACU rotation. Please send help

I’m a CA-1 and I’m already burnt out on a chill PACU rotation. Please send help

Nothing weird about preferring to be in an OR doing anesthesia as opposed to PACU, Preop, ICU, or pain clinic. What you do and don’t like will change during residency and in some ways that may surprise you. Luckily you can most likely avoid the things you hate once you’re done.

What about it is burning you out? For me, it was much easier knowing every little thing about my own patients as a ca1 during my OR days combined with the constant interruptions of Non-PACU scutwork that our rotation included. The thought of having to manage a whole recovery unit of patients i don’t know seemed stressful at first. It gets easier throughout residency and your PACU nurses are probably better than you think at anticipating and helping handle common PACU disasters.

for those who matched into ccm recently — did programs ask for updated ca2 ite as well?