MA/MS CACREP vs APA for Masters Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1074022

Greetings,

I am currently working in the addiction field as a baccalaureate level addiction counselor. I have been interested in pursing a masters degree in counseling, addiction, or clinical psychology. I have been leaning towards m.psych im not sure if I should hold now until the APA makes decision and we know the future for m.psych will be. Career wise i'm not pressed to start or get a masters. Income wise id say I do just as well as those with a masters. Should I have off or dive in? I am in tx LPAs recently obtained the ability to practice independently after a period of supervision.

I know this has been brought up in the past but the narrative may be different now that the APA is considering accrediting master's degrees in clinical, counseling, school. They even mention MFT and Addiction specialties.

The APA is currently considering accrediting master's degrees. I live in a state that does allow for masters level psychological providers. There are only 17 states that allow for any form of masters level psychological providers. The scope of practice varies greatly with some being very limited and others allowing for a great deal of autonomy and even independent practice.

CACREP came in and pretty much wiped all LPAs' and Masters in Clinical/Counseling Psychology off the map in some states while others have smaller program. CACREP does have the advantage they are friendly to online education whereas the APA has not and there are few clinical psych. masters online.

If the APA begins accrediting masters degree will the Masters in Clinical Psyh make a come back, Will LPA's make a come back? Will the APA be able to leverage their power and history and take on CACREP when it comes to counseling psyh and other areas?

Members don't see this ad.

It will probably be awhile before the APA gets anything up and running and state laws follow suit. I would suggest looking into MSW programs as well. LCSWs have a more portable degree and can bill Medicare.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I graduated from a CACREP (& MPCAC) master's program in 2019 and obtained licensure as a Licensed Psychological Associate in Texas. I could, if I chose to, make a decent living with this license and have plenty of flexibility in what I do (if I chose to seek the supervision hours required for independence). However, my only purpose in getting an LPA was 1) to pass the EPPP BEFORE applying to doctoral programs (it's a one and done test, I don't think I'll have to take it again) and 2) to have a license in case I do not get accepted to a doctoral program this year.

If you have any questions about the master's program I attended, my journey getting licensed, or anything like that, I am happy to share as this was all a recent experience for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Career wise i'm not pressed to start or get a masters. Income wise id say I do just as well as those with a masters. Should I have off or dive in?
Consider any additional schooling as an investment, either to increase income or to increase opportunities that aren't open to you currently (other types of clinical work, supervising others, moving into administrative roles). Or in an ideal scenario, both (and without taking on significantly debt).

If you're happy with your current position and income, I'd be even more selective about programs and tuition costs to make sure that it'll add value to your career. And since you're in a state with more options than most, keep an eye on what types of degrees people who have positions you'd aspire to hold. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly? CACREP is a mess. APA drags its feet and has been saying they will look into masters accreditation for the better half of the past decade.

Go social work and don't look back. It is nice to have a national org that actually lobbies for your rights.

Hi! I graduated from a CACREP (& MPCAC) master's program in 2019 and obtained licensure as a Licensed Psychological Associate in Texas. I could, if I chose to, make a decent living with this license and have plenty of flexibility in what I do (if I chose to seek the supervision hours required for independence). However, my only purpose in getting an LPA was 1) to pass the EPPP BEFORE applying to doctoral programs (it's a one and done test, I don't think I'll have to take it again) and 2) to have a license in case I do not get accepted to a doctoral program this year.

If you have any questions about the master's program I attended, my journey getting licensed, or anything like that, I am happy to share as this was all a recent experience for me.
Hello!
I read your comment and wanted to ask you about LPA. I consider myself someone who recently got interested in clinical psych so I'm still learning a lot.
Would there be a huge difference in getting different types of licenses after a masters? Such as LPA vs LCSW?
From what I have read, LPAs are only available in certain states and fewer states than other licenses. If that is true, my next question would be that in those states that offers LPAs accreditation, is the job outlook valuable or saturated?

Apology for the lots of questions!

Would there be a huge difference in getting different types of licenses after a masters? Such as LPA vs LCSW?
If you are confident you want to practice as a masters level clinician, the LCSW is the most widely known degree. And since graduate training curriculum are more standard since the MSW degree has been around a long time, if you move and need to get licensed in another state, you’re likely to have an easier time.

If you hope to work for an agency (local hospital or community mental health org, VA, prison, etc), some positions may also be LCSW-exclusive and that may be influenced by how LCSWs can code/bill Medicare, Medicaid, and insurance for more clinical tasks than other masters level degrees.

If you’re only interested in private practice, then having any MA/MS degree that leads to licensure in your state is likely fine.

One concern that some people have about the MSW is less therapy training which is true in a vacuum. However, if therapy is your true passion, you are almost certain to learn more through hands on practice beyond what any 2 year degree program can teach and by attending advanced skills workshops in specific therapies that appeal to you. Good luck in your search!

Reactions: 2 users