You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cadaver juice in eye
Started by floverwatch
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
U gud. It happens to all of us
Lmao, it happens. Wait til you get to the GI. You’ll be wishing it was still cadaver juiceHey guys,
I accidentally got a drop of cadaver juice/preservative fluid in my eye last week in anatomy lab. It splashed onto my face when a bone snapped. Anybody else have this happen ever? Should I be concerned or go see a doctor or anything?
Thanks!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or when you have to intubate a hepatitis C-infected cirrhotic patient with a massive variceal bleed. You'll be wishing it was still cadaver juice.
D
deleted87051
You all need eye protection. It’s required in the OR. Makes sense in other patient care areas too.
I always wore goggles. My lab group had an especially wet experience. Lots of liquefied fat that would splatter during any blunt dissection.
You all need eye protection. It’s required in the OR. Makes sense in other patient care areas too.
This is actually hospital dependent. Rotated at 4 different locations for surgery and only 1 of them explicitly required eyewear in the OR (the other 3 didn't even require shields on the masks).
A
AnatomyGrey12
This is actually hospital dependent. Rotated at 4 different locations for surgery and only 1 of them explicitly required eyewear in the OR (the other 3 didn't even require shields on the masks).
Yeah I was going to say the same thing, eye protection has actually been optional more often than required at the hospitals that I have experience with.
I flung some juices/solid material in my mouth. I felt dirty the rest of the day, but I am still living. You should be good, OP.
I got some products of conception on my face in the OR once. That was pretty gross. Probably would rather it have been cadaver juice.
You’re at high risk of prion disease. Get immediately to your nearest ER and loudly demand prophylactic opiates.
I think you will turn it to a zombie. Sorry.
T-Virus is resistant to degradation by embalming.I think you will turn it to a zombie. Sorry.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That happened to me. Still alive decades later 🙂 just wash it out well.
Incidentally a classmate of mine had a globule of cadaver fat land into his mouth when he was talking. That was the second most disgusting thing I’ve seen in my medical career.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Incidentally a classmate of mine had a globule of cadaver fat land into his mouth when he was talking. That was the second most disgusting thing I’ve seen in my medical career.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was told by our anatomy prof (PhD) that the embalming process kills everything, but prions might still remain behind. Although the changes of prion encephalitis are very low in an urban setting. So in short, you should be fine.
RIP, OP.
I got some products of conception on my face in the OR once. That was pretty gross. Probably would rather it have been cadaver juice.
Just once? All my ladies have been products of conception.
That's nothing. I got some in my mouth. 
Just once? All my ladies have been products of conception.
But in the OR?
You anesthesiologists are quite a wild bunch.
I actually have a spot of permanent discoloration on my left hand from fixant getting through a hole in my glove years ago. My bet is that the fluid is designed to dissolve keratin and seep through tissue efficiently, which basically left me with a tattoo from embalming fluid remnants. While it is probably harmless, your greatest risk would be damage to your cornea from the fixant causing discoloration or scarring. An eye wash at the time would have helped, but now there is nothing to be done. You're probably fine
If you haven't needed to do an eye wash, you should be fine. Buy eye Care to protect yourself
probably not optional if you want disability insurance to kick in should anything happenYeah I was going to say the same thing, eye protection has actually been optional more often than required at the hospitals that I have experience with.
A
AnatomyGrey12
probably not optional if you want disability insurance to kick in should anything happen
Then literally every surgeon in most of these hospitals would not get disability insurance...
But in the OR?
You anesthesiologists are quite a wild bunch.
We don't put the drapes up for no reason
What took the top spot?That happened to me. Still alive decades later 🙂 just wash it out well.
Incidentally a classmate of mine had a globule of cadaver fat land into his mouth when he was talking. That was the second most disgusting thing I’ve seen in my medical career.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What took the top spot?
Finding half a rotten sandwich in a pannus fold of a morbidly obese patient when I was about to prep.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I did anatomy lab last year. Our school had masks and goggles available for people to wear if they wanted. See if you can do that if you are concerned about it happening again. I personally wore the mask every time i was in lab (even for practicals in which we didn’t dissect). And if I wsd helping with a dissection, I wore goggles.
A
AnatomyGrey12
Finding half a rotten sandwich in a pannus fold of a morbidly obese patient when I was about to prep.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finding half a rotten sandwich in a pannus fold of a morbidly obese patient when I was about to prep.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I probably shouldn't have been eating when I read that 🤢
It happens to everybody, I even managed to get some under my glasses. Then there was the time I accidentally happened to fling some cadaver gunk/juice into the mouth of the guy standing next to me.
One of my lab partners then said (as he was walking away to clean himself), "He should take that as a sign to stop talking once in a while."
One of my lab partners then said (as he was walking away to clean himself), "He should take that as a sign to stop talking once in a while."
no.......Finding half a rotten sandwich in a pannus fold of a morbidly obese patient when I was about to prep.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
what did you do with it?Finding half a rotten sandwich in a pannus fold of a morbidly obese patient when I was about to prep.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
what did you do with it?
Threw it away. This was when I was already an attending and I could afford to eat real food.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Finding half a rotten sandwich in a pannus fold of a morbidly obese patient when I was about to prep.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you got the storage might as well use it.
Seems like the issue was that this patient seemed to forget. Out of sight out of mind!
Finding half a rotten sandwich in a pannus fold of a morbidly obese patient when I was about to prep.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
We found a completely undigested burrito in the stomach of a patient undergoing an egd who swore she hadn’t eaten since midnight. That was super gross and the attending was pissed.
Yep, I imagine buried somewhere in the insurance carrier's policy (what the hospital requires is irrelevant) is a provision that if they try to submit a claim because something happened to their eye and they weren't wearing eye protection that the insurance won't pay out.Then literally every surgeon in most of these hospitals would not get disability insurance...
Similar threads
S
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 2K