Cadwell Sierra Wave EMG Machines

Started by avatar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I am an unabashed Sierra Wave fan.

The lease/purchase decision is purely one for you and your accountant. I purchase all capital equipment provided I have the cash. Just my preference because the effective interest rates are really high on most medical leases.

I use reusable electrodes and concentric needles (I'm cheap, but not that cheap), and can always tell when the electrodes are going bad by the 60hz noise with my Sensory studies.

I would buy directly from Cadwell (I buy all my stuff from them)-GREAT customer service, quick turnaround time. If I'm spending a buck or two more, so be it. They are a wonderful company to work with.

I am a nobody. A solo practitioner in Rural Oklahoma. They treat me like I am their most important client.
 
Cadwell is great. Our group tends to buy all of our equipment, so I can't really comment on the lease v purchase option.

I've used disposable and reusable electrodes, and with picking up a few tips/tricks here and there, I'm actually faster with the reusables.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I lease my first wave, bought my second. It depends on your financial situation. Discuss with your accountant.

Buy from Cadwell. The service they provide is second to none - fast and reliable. They can solve most issues over the phone, and if not, within warranty will provide a loaner free of charge, out of warranty for a small rental fee (<$100 for a week usually, often far less). They send the loaner/rental out before you send yours in, so there is no gap in unit availability.

I use disposable electrodes. They are cheap and easy to use. Ripping off all that tape for non-disposable is a PITA, to me, as is cleaning the non-disposables. I keep a full set of non-disposable, as they come with the unit, but rarely use them, except the ring electrodes.

I have the system set up so customized, I can do a routine single limb R/O CTS (median and ulnar motor, w/ F-waves, median, ulnar and radial sensory, plus needle exam) and have the report done in 15 min often. 20 minutes if we're being "chatty." A simple BLE exam this am took me 30 minutes.
 
I use a 2-channel, which works fine. A few years ago when I inquired, they said it would cost about $4000 to upgrade to a 4-channel.

The main reason I would like it is so that swapping out the ring electrodes for the bar would take less work, but it's not worth that price. Plus I have enough wires hanging around, getting tsangled, etc. I don't need more.
 
All the machines we had in training were 4 channel amplifiers. Now that I'm buying a machine, I'm racking my brains trying to think if there is anything I would actually need 4 channels for in the scope of my practice (Sports and Spine). Any opinions on whether a 2 channel amplifier should be just fine?
I use a two channel. I do Blinks, and Facial N. studies. I do rep stim exams. The only thing you need a 4 channel machine for is if you plan on doing evoked potentials.