caffeine for exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vatootova

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to take a large dose of caffeine with the least amount of fluid... this is for final exams, so I don't have to constantly use the washroom. I tried caffeine pills but they made me queezy so looking for another option.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to take a large dose of caffeine with the least amount of fluid... this is for final exams, so I don't have to constantly use the washroom. I tried caffeine pills but they made me queezy so looking for another option.

it isn't just the fluid that makes you use the bathroom. Caffeine is a diuretic.. causes decreased adenosine = decreased tubuloglomerular feedback in afferent arterioles = less vasoconstriction of afferent arteriole = increased GFR = you pee. that's how I understand it anyway.. iirc it also decreases sodium reabsorption.

i experimented w/ this. caffeine is a diuretic but there's a big difference between taking it in Mt Dew/coffee form and 5-hr energy form. less fluid = less pee.

Members don't see this ad :)
it isn't just the fluid that makes you use the bathroom. Caffeine is a diuretic.. causes decreased adenosine = decreased tubuloglomerular feedback in afferent arterioles = less vasoconstriction of afferent arteriole = increased GFR = you pee. that's how I understand it anyway.. iirc it also decreases sodium reabsorption.

indeed... I have a renal exam next week :p. but it is only a mild diuretic and it is mainly the fluid with coffee that causes you to have to pee a lot, so reduction in fluid intake will still be beneficial. Any suggestions?

espresso, those b-vitamin 5-hour energy drinks, red-bull.. all should have more concentrated dose. I dunno though cause even though I drink coffee a lot I don't touch it during exam weeks cause I focus/remember better with less caffeine. g/l.

Cut back on the caffeine (as mentioned above it has diuretic properties) and substitute 15 to 20 minutes of aerobic exercise (walk up some flights of stairs) if you need to feel refreshed. Caffeine makes you jittery and doesn't actually improve your thinking especially under stressful situations.

Study in chunks of 50 minutes and take frequent breaks to walk around and get some fresh air. You can decrease your stress, make your brain more efficient and get rid of those nasty caffeine side effects that hamper you achieving your best performance.

Take care with cutting back on the caffeine as you can get withdrawal headaches if you cut out all caffeine. Cut back slowly and replace with movement. You will stay out of the "sand-box" and you will be more efficient. Good luck!

cola nut. if you have an african grocery store in the city you live in , go in and ask for cola nuts. it will not be on display so you have to ask for it.

Be warned though that it does not taste good.

I would suggest some qat but i just heard its illegal in the US (even though i've seen it being sold openly in stores)

:idea:

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I had not heard of cola nut. I will look into that... but in the meantime, I think I will try some of those 5 hour energy drinks, they claim to pack a punch in a tiny volume :)

Cut back on the caffeine (as mentioned above it has diuretic properties) and substitute 15 to 20 minutes of aerobic exercise (walk up some flights of stairs) if you need to feel refreshed. Caffeine makes you jittery and doesn't actually improve your thinking especially under stressful situations.

Study in chunks of 50 minutes and take frequent breaks to walk around and get some fresh air. You can decrease your stress, make your brain more efficient and get rid of those nasty caffeine side effects that hamper you achieving your best performance.

Take care with cutting back on the caffeine as you can get withdrawal headaches if you cut out all caffeine. Cut back slowly and replace with movement. You will stay out of the "sand-box" and you will be more efficient. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice... I agree this is probably a good idea, but with exams in a few days I think it is too late for that since I don't want to feel like a zombie during an exam. I plan to cut back in the summer though when I am not as busy and I can sleep a bit more :D

Thanks for the advice... I agree this is probably a good idea, but with exams in a few days I think it is too late for that since I don't want to feel like a zombie during an exam. I plan to cut back in the summer though when I am not as busy and I can sleep a bit more :D

I believe they've done studies on staying up late with caffeine to get extra studying in with the net result being no improvement in retained information. The benefit of the extra studying is canceled out by the sleep deprivation you have when you stay up late with caffeine. Well, whatever works for you. Although I'm not sure those 5-hr energy drinks have any caffeine. They probably work mostly by placebo effect, which I think would be quite sizeable in this realm.

5 hr energy has about 100mg of caffeine, same as a coffee or a couple of Mt Dews. tastes like soap to me, but it works. all the b-vitamins in it probably don't do squat, but i find it to be a suitable vehicle for caffeine in a small package. i have used it with success the day before a test when i'm really too tired to study, or early on the morning of a test when i want to study after little sleep. if you drink it right before the test you may get a little flushed and jittery. that's the big guns - usually i just drink Mt Dew until about 7 pm. I'm currently in detox since i took my last final friday.