Caffeine Tolerance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteodoc7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical school is starting in August. I know there will be late nights of studying, some of which maybe very late. I'm planning on cutting back all caffeine this week, and not drinking any until I began medical school. My hope is that I can return to the days when a cup of coffee had amazing effects on my late study hours! My question is how long would it take to completly destroy my tolerance that I have built up since undergrad? If it functions anything like my tolerance for alcohol, I might be able to reset my caffeine tolerance to zero before orientation! Here's hoping to return to those glorious days when a cup of coffee kept me grinding on a sluggish day.

Members don't see this ad.

You think it would take more than half a year to lose some tolerance to caffeine? I think it should work faster than that, without cutting it out completely as well.

Congrats on starting med school. You're gonna have a whopper of a headache later this week, not worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure there will be late nights but a lack of tolerance to caffeine won't replace the benefits of 7 hours of sleep.

Reactions: 5 users
I would advise trying to find another source of energy such as exercising in the morning and adequate sleep.

Reactions: 3 users
I would advise trying to find another source of energy such as exercising in the morning and adequate sleep.

If you're getting adequate sleep at any point in your life, you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you in med school?
Nope I'm applying. I realize that it's not possible to get adequate sleep all the time, so adequate may not have been the best term. If I may restate, it's important to try to maximize your ability to get a good nights rest. This is something that I forgot the importance of even in undergrad, and prioritizing time for your body to recover is crucial. I noticed even an hour or two more of sleep would provide me much better functionality during the day.

I don't think this will be beneficial in the long run. You should consider finding alternatives to keep your mind sharp such as exercising or even power napping.

Medical school is starting in August. I know there will be late nights of studying, some of which maybe very late. I'm planning on cutting back all caffeine this week, and not drinking any until I began medical school. My hope is that I can return to the days when a cup of coffee had amazing effects on my late study hours! My question is how long would it take to completly destroy my tolerance that I have built up since undergrad? If it functions anything like my tolerance for alcohol, I might be able to reset my caffeine tolerance to zero before orientation! Here's hoping to return to those glorious days when a cup of coffee kept me grinding on a sluggish day.

Continue caffeine consumption at your normal dosage. When med school comes around, just starting drinking double and your desired effects should double. Better yet drink 4x your current amount. At least, I think thats has pharmacokinetics work, I didn't go to that lecture.

Reactions: 2 users
Continue caffeine consumption at your normal dosage. When med school comes around, just starting drinking double and your desired effects should double. Better yet drink 4x your current amount. At least, I think thats has pharmacokinetics work, I didn't go to that lecture.

How do you feel about the rotation sites and that portion of the curriculum/training? When I was there, they were talking about hopefully adding 6 more? It's just tough to gauge since this campus is so new.

At any given time, I'm 2% coffee and dry shampoo by body weight. IMO it's not really worth the taper, as your tolerance will immediately build right back up. Now's a good time to develop other sleep-hygiene habits. Power-naps, exercise, keeping electronics out of the bedroom, etc. See your primary care physician and establish a care regimen with access if needed to sleep aids and antidepressants. These are things you might need later, but won't have time to deal with, so set those up early. Good luck!

This is a great idea OP. I did the same thing. That being said, my caffeine addiction spiraled out of control since July and now... well I play the ignorance is bliss card with myself. I don't know how much I intake and I don't want to know because honestly it would probably cause palpitations :rofl:

But anyways... ya definitely a good idea to try and taper off before medical school starts OP.

Reactions: 1 user