Cake decorating, manual dexterity.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheatLom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I put on my application I can ice, level, and decorate cakes. I use a piping bag and spatula.

Does this count as manual dexterity.

I also put I can sew and use a sewing machine. And put I once made a pair of sweatpants from plain cloth.

i submitted my app, so response while helpful, i can't change it now lol. Thank you all for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Better than nothing right! Cake decorating sounds fun

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure that will work.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep! I have cake decorating as one of my hobbies that utilizes manual dexterity. Specifically, flower work and piping.

Yep! I have cake decorating as one of my hobbies that utilizes manual dexterity. Specifically, flower work and piping.

Flowers can be a pain in the booty, especially if you go petal by petal.

Well I felt it was manual dexterity, cause the you have to apply the right pressure, be consistent with each pipe, and make sure things are level.
Sounds like you are also doing fillings (operative dentistry). That's perfect for manual dexterity.

Sounds like you are also doing fillings (operative dentistry). That's perfect for manual dexterity.

Sorry, misunderstanding. Are you saying cake piping is similar to operative dentistry?

hands down the most meaningless section on the app, but yeah that'll work.

I've seen some people list "playing video games" as a hobby that requires manual dexterity.

I've seen some people list "playing video games" as a hobby that requires manual dexterity.

I almost put video games as my hobby and what i have done to show I am capable of working in a group

Members don't see this ad :)
Had to bump this because I'd like some input as well!

I fear for the manual dexterity part because I'm not really an artist nor have I done anything like sculpting or graphic design. (I wish I could bake a cake like you).

All I have right now is video games, though I'm not exactly a professional gamer and just love to play role-playing games.
I do like writing fiction, and I wonder if typing fictions online counts.... Probably not lol.
(Man do I wish to draw!)
Other than that, the only thing I can think of is that, since I work at Converse (sneaker store), I also help make shoelaces and decorate grommets or studs on a sneaker. I wonder if that even counts.

I put cake decorating in my application under Dexterity... None of my interviewer asked about it lol. I don't think they care much...

As a dental student, I'm gonna give mad props for cake decorating because that stuff for me is hard. If you think about it, frosting the sides of a cake and trying to keep it even and nice with the top is what finishing a facial restoration on a posterior tooth is like. You're hugging a contour and trying to keep it smooth, just on a much smaller scale in the mouth.

A lot of my classmates play video games be they shooters, league, overwatch, or HoTS. We have some diamond league players here (myself not among them, haha). If you can get through a team effort with children yelling creatively cruel things or being basic and crude, either you have no feelings or are a masochist. Both of those work out really well here because you either have to not take it personally, or like to be uncomfortable rather often.

I did get asked about my dexterity skills at a couple of interviews. However, they never looked at my app and asked about the ones I listed, just generally asked about them.

I have a lot of "technical" dexterity skills (soldering, welding, machining) that I highlighted on my application and in interviews. At one interview I did get a follow-up question purposely asking about shaping and forming media. I think cake decorating is an awesome skill that highlights that ability!

Fun story: As the fall semester was winding down and then over the holidays I learned how to knit and completed a few projects. It wasn't on my application because it was a newly acquired skill. I had an early January interview and at one of the open-ended "What are your hobbies?" type questions, I reluctantly brought up that I had been knitting a lot lately. I'm a 6'3", 250# guy with a beard, so I got a shocked response of "Really!? You knit?" Come to find out, the interviewer was a huge knitter! We spent the next few minutes talking about some projects and how we both got into knitting and made a really good connection. Well, my interviewer was one of the top three admissions committee members and I was offered acceptance on the spot!

Point of the story: Every applicant at an interview has cleared the academic hurdles for acceptance. After that, they are just looking for strong personalities. You never know what random aspect of your life will click with someone on the other side of the table. So keep developing new skills and talk about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not far enough into school to let you know. I am bringing up the rear of the class, and will have to start making some tough decisions in terms of how much studying for science curriculum I am willing to do in order to spend time in the back up lab improving.

Stay tuned!

But from what everyone has told me everyone will eventually learn.
You'll kill it man. UCONN has your back 100%. Stay strong

could origami be considered manual dexterity? or will it just show creativity and precision, and accuracy. you know with the folding and all?

I did get asked about my dexterity skills at a couple of interviews. However, they never looked at my app and asked about the ones I listed, just generally asked about them.

I have a lot of "technical" dexterity skills (soldering, welding, machining) that I highlighted on my application and in interviews. At one interview I did get a follow-up question purposely asking about shaping and forming media. I think cake decorating is an awesome skill that highlights that ability!

Fun story: As the fall semester was winding down and then over the holidays I learned how to knit and completed a few projects. It wasn't on my application because it was a newly acquired skill. I had an early January interview and at one of the open-ended "What are your hobbies?" type questions, I reluctantly brought up that I had been knitting a lot lately. I'm a 6'3", 250# guy with a beard, so I got a shocked response of "Really!? You knit?" Come to find out, the interviewer was a huge knitter! We spent the next few minutes talking about some projects and how we both got into knitting and made a really good connection. Well, my interviewer was one of the top three admissions committee members and I was offered acceptance on the spot!

Point of the story: Every applicant at an interview has cleared the academic hurdles for acceptance. After that, they are just looking for strong personalities. You never know what random aspect of your life will click with someone on the other side of the table. So keep developing new skills and talk about them.

hey, my gf has been forcing me to learn how to knit lately lol. but, i wonder if baking and kneeding bread will demostrate manual dexterity too. I love to bake breads that i get knead and shape( by hand of course..mixers are boring lol)