Cal State vs. UC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeNe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ll be transferring from a CC to a 4 year soon and I’m very confused as to which state school system I should transfer to. I’m planning on going to med school one day. Should I attend a Cal State or UC for undergrad? Thanks for your help. :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

All things being equal, you're generally better off with UC. The CSU system is a fine one, but they're not as nationally known as the UCs. When adcoms see an app from Cal State Northridge, it reads like a regional college. When they see one from UCLA, they know where you went to school.

Note my first sentence. This are not always equal. There are reasons for choosing CSU over UC for reasons of location. Some folks prefer CSUs due to smaller class sizes, but that's not really applicable to you, as the huge lecture hall classes are largely in the first two years.

Many folks from CSU do outstanding and get lots of admissions to great med schools. It won't hold you back. But like I said, all things being equal, UCs are more highly regarded.

Best of luck....

I've been a student in both systems and I have to say that not only is it easier to academically excel in the CSU system, the classes are small and the professors are very approachable. However, if you think you can accomplish the same in the UC system, then that is the better choice.

Id go where you like. I think the UC's will have more oppurtunity for research, but I don't think they will really give you an edge against going to a CSU. I remember the dean of admissions for UC Davis med explicitly saying that wether someone went to a UC or CSU does not matter to them.