Calc and Physics in the Same Semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassarassasass

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a third year pre-vet student facing some tight ends currently. I had a rough freshman to sophomore transfer which, to put it lightly, screwed up a lot of my credits and now i'm struggling to get all my pre-req ducks in row. So far, actually, everything looks good. If my second round of Ochem goes well in the summer I should be set to complete everything for my final year. Except for one thing; Physics and Calc

I have had a bad history with math and have been utterly screwed over by the transfer system. Now I'm relying on a few hail mary cracks at the placement exam (which I can't waive, even when I had to take placements and remedials TWICE between transfers, Lord help me) to get me in calculus. HOWEVER, this means I won't be able to take it in the summer and will have to wait until this upcoming fall of my final year. That being said, I am also due for physics my final year.

Will I be in shreds if I take these both together?

I know a lot of physics is reliant on calc, so I'm worried. It might also be worth to mention that I am also due for a biochem and possibly a PVS that year as well.

It may also be worth to mention that, no, I am not bad at math, or calculus. I enjoy it actually once I remember how to do it. Both of my remedial instructors have questioned why I was in their class. Truth be told, I just eat dirt on placement exams.

Any suggestions, tips, or personal experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, have you checked with the schools you’re going to apply to that they actually DO require calc?? I know some don’t even require it anymore, so you may want to double check. If calc is required for you’re major, well I can’t help you there :laugh:

Second of all,
I know a lot of physics is reliant on calc, so I'm worried.
Which physics are you planning on taking? There’s calc-based and non-calc based. Non-calc based may be easier for you especially if you don’t have calc knowledge prior to taking the class and non-calc based physics should be accepted at most, if not all, vet schools. So double check on all of those because you may not even need to take calc and you probably don’t need to take calc-based physics.

Reactions: 2 users
I may have misunderstood, but would it be possible to take physics over the summer even though you can’t take calculus? I took the second physics course required by my college over the summer and it was the best thing I had ever done. It is far more manageable on its own or with only one other course (I took it alongside trig).

But...taking two difficult courses in the same semester is possible. I think you just have to be extra diligent with getting help when you need it and putting in a little extra effort. My undergrad advisor called me crazy once or twice with the schedule I presented him (I was cramming all prereqs into three years), and if I managed to survive, I’m sure you can do it too!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I may have misunderstood, but would it be possible to take physics over the summer even though you can’t take calculus? I took the second physics course required by my college over the summer and it was the best thing I had ever done. It is far more manageable on its own or with only one other course (I took it alongside trig).

But...taking two difficult courses in the same semester is possible. I think you just have to be extra diligent with getting help when you need it and putting in a little extra effort. My undergrad advisor called me crazy once or twice with the schedule I presented him (I was cramming all prereqs into three years), and if I managed to survive, I’m sure you can do it too!

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to take physics alongside orgo this summer, but very good suggestion! And yeah, I guess I have to put some faith in myself when overtaking 2 or more difficult classes. I have a lot of confidence in how I study and practice (which took YEARS to learn) and it only ever got me As or Bs so here's to hoping!

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, have you checked with the schools you’re going to apply to that they actually DO require calc?? I know some don’t even require it anymore, so you may want to double check. If calc is required for you’re major, well I can’t help you there :laugh:

Second of all,

Which physics are you planning on taking? There’s calc-based and non-calc based. Non-calc based may be easier for you especially if you don’t have calc knowledge prior to taking the class and non-calc based physics should be accepted at most, if not all, vet schools. So double check on all of those because you may not even need to take calc and you probably don’t need to take calc-based physics.

Calc is not required for my major but my advisor (disclaimer he's really old like 70+ and is kind of a harda** on me) was telling me I need a semester of calc to get into vet school if I still plan on doing it (on the edge right now). So I figured I just HAVE to take calc but my school has put me through so much crap in the math department that it feels impossible.

But your comment gives me an immense amount of relief. And I've heard of Algebra-based physics and if that's the case then I'm going to whoop it since I LOVE algebra.

Thanks for your pointers, oh Wise and Knowledgeable One. May everything be in your favor.

Your advisor definitely isn't correct about needing calculus. It looks like only two schools require it: UPenn and NCSU (which would also take logic instead? weird), every other school that has a math requirement will accept other things instead (college algebra, pre-calculus, and/or statistics)

Here's a summary of every vet school's pre-requisites (last updated about a year ago):
http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/prereqchart.pdf

Definitely confirm with the school's website if you're interested in a particular school, but that's a good starting point. As far as I know, all vet schools accept algebra based physics (again confirm with the schools you're interested in).

Reactions: 2 users
I would opt for algebra based physics. IMO, I did both at the same time for two quarters of both without an issue. Algebra based is way easier than calc based but be warned it is not as easy as algebra (the math isn't the hard part, it is figuring out how to set up the problem)

Calculus 1 is pretty enjoyable when you get the hang of it. I think it is easier than precalculus. Don't worry too much about doing both together if you really enjoy the math

If you do decide to take them simultaneously, it certainly is possible. I'm in a post-baccalaureate program and crammed all of the math/science pre-reqs into 1.5 years (skipped re-taking Calculus though, cuz I didn't need it). Hasn't been particularly fun to do, and there are a few classes I probably could have done better in if I'd had more time to do practice problems, but it's do-able.

Calc is not required for my major but my advisor (disclaimer he's really old like 70+ and is kind of a harda** on me) was telling me I need a semester of calc to get into vet school if I still plan on doing it (on the edge right now). So I figured I just HAVE to take calc but my school has put me through so much crap in the math department that it feels impossible.

But your comment gives me an immense amount of relief. And I've heard of Algebra-based physics and if that's the case then I'm going to whoop it since I LOVE algebra.

Thanks for your pointers, oh Wise and Knowledgeable One. May everything be in your favor.
The second I realized I didn't need more than pre-calc (I think UF required it at the time), I dropped the calc I was in like a hot potato. Saved me money and I didn't have to deal with the headache (it was before the drop deadline).

I'd say for math, there is no reason to take higher/more courses than you need to. Some schools require 'higher level science electives,' but that's a different story. If the schools you want to apply to don't require calc, you don't need to take it.

Unfortunately, a lot of schools have uninformed/misinformed advisors designated for pre-professional students. Some of these advisors do little to no research at all when it comes to veterinary school. Heck, my undergrad had a pre-vet advisor within the veterinary school and I still did my own legwork. Carefully research each school your interested in, see what their pre-reqs are, and form a list of choice schools from there (factor in cost as well!!).

Reactions: 4 users
The second I realized I didn't need more than pre-calc (I think UF required it at the time), I dropped the calc I was in like a hot potato.
I changed my life plan (and major) and dropped the required linear algebra, also like a hot potato, after a day but had already struggled through calc 1,2,&3 for my original major :hilarious:
(Though I will say, calc 2 was my favorite but probably mostly because I had a great prof)

I changed my life plan (and major) and dropped the required linear algebra, also like a hot potato, after a day but had already struggled through calc 1,2,&3 for my original major :hilarious:
(Though I will say, calc 2 was my favorite but probably mostly because I had a great prof)
I don't even know what linear algebra is so I guarantee I would have had issues in that class.

I don't even know what linear algebra is so I guarantee I would have had issues in that class.
AFAIK linear equations and matrices and vector spaces. Or something like that. I think it was like harder algebra? It was the better sounding (and supposedly easier) option over calc 4/differential equations, but once I changed majors it and wasn’t required, I dropped it before I could really tell you what it was :laugh:

I took Calc 1 and Physics 2 in the same semester and got an A and A- respectively, but I am good at math. It’s definitely not unheard of you just have to work hard and you’ll do great!

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, a lot of schools have uninformed/misinformed advisors designated for pre-professional students. Some of these advisors do little to no research at all when it comes to veterinary school. Heck, my undergrad had a pre-vet advisor within the veterinary school and I still did my own legwork. Carefully research each school your interested in, see what their pre-reqs are, and form a list of choice schools from there (factor in cost as well!!).

Ugh Amen to that :(