Calc Physics or Trig Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sully677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard different things about Calc based Physics and Trig based Physics. Is the MCAT about Trig based Physics but private med schools require Calc bases Physics. Any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I took trig based in undergrad bc could not fit calculus into schedule. However, I had no desire to go to big research/private school some of which require calc based physics. If you do, definitely take calc based. You should do fine on the MCAT (which if I remember correctly was trig based) if you study. I HIGHLY recommend a prep course.

ok...thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took trig based in undergrad bc could not fit calculus into schedule. However, I had no desire to go to big research/private school some of which require calc based physics. If you do, definitely take calc based. You should do fine on the MCAT (which if I remember correctly was trig based) if you study. I HIGHLY recommend a prep course.
A prep course is personal preference. It's only a way to give you structure and a boost. You still have to do most of the work on your own. So from that light, some may see the prep course as not worth it because they can just study themselves.

I have heard different things about Calc based Physics and Trig based Physics. Is the MCAT about Trig based Physics but private med schools require Calc bases Physics. Any help would be great!

Most schools don't require the calc-based physics, but since it is the more demanding version, it looks a little better on the transcript (provided you can do well in it -- an "A" in trig-based beats a "C" in calc-based). Trig-based is the minimum you need for the MCAT, but you will definitely get everything you need for the MCAT out of the calc-based course. In other words, calc-based physics is not a disadvantage in your MCAT preparation, and can possibly strengthen your med school application.

i just took trig-based and it didn't seem to hurt me in getting into med school. my physical sciences part of the mcat was 2-3 points lower than the other sections but was still OK (v13/bs12/ps10). but i don't remember a darn thing from the class -- it was a joke at my school.

yeh..i am from TN and for instance, UT Memphis does not require calc based physics...but I am pretty sure Vanderbilt and most of the other private schools require Calc based physics