-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Calculated cost of pharmacy school
Started by BMBiology
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Interested in going international?? 🙂
No real plans but that would be awesome
I just realized you might have meant that in a different way...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is so bad for California. Tuition ranges from 30~45K a year.
Time to find a benefactor. LOL.
The fact that a new and for-profit school like Northstate cost as much as USC is a complete and utter joke.
Hoping to graduate with less than $20k in loans. Live at home + instate tuition + free ride through undergrad, plus I have some savings from working as a delivery driver.
Wow gratz to you sir!
The fact that a new and for-profit school like Northstate cost as much as USC is a complete and utter joke.
That's just ridiculous. It's for profit =___=
Is Student Loan Debt Forgiveness A Good Idea?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-15/student-loan-debt-forgiveness-good-idea
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-15/student-loan-debt-forgiveness-good-idea
Is Student Loan Debt Forgiveness A Good Idea?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-15/student-loan-debt-forgiveness-good-idea
The word "forgiveness" is not the right word. It is misleading. Whatever that is "given" will be taxed.
All this debt will end up in the Chernobyl sarcophagus that is the Fed's balance sheet. This generation of students will be the agents of change. Either this odious debt is discharged by a change of bankruptcy laws or federal forgiveness, or we're looking at sh*tstorm that could spin out of control. We're talking Human Millipedes hundreds in length wrapped around so that everyone gets to be " a middle".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tcqPt1jwRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tcqPt1jwRo
If the auto industries get a bail out, why not the students too?
If the auto industries get a bail out, why not the students too?
You have a job and don't need a bail out....
The word "forgiveness" is not the right word. It is misleading. Whatever that is "given" will be taxed.
Yea. Yahoo (I know they are a crap source) ran an article not too long ago about some grad that had nearly 300k in Loans and was doing the Loan Forgiveness plan. Basically they would have to pay the base monthly fee for 20 years, then whatever was forgiven would be taxed as income. I think they were going to owe over 100k in taxes when that 20 year mark hit.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's graduation time which also means it's almost time to start paying back your student loans.
Oh crap I almost forgot, thanks for the reminder!
That sounds like a bad idea because you are basically using borrowed student loan money, on which you are accumulating interest on, to pay your car loan, which is also being charged interest.
Financially speaking this is the dumbest thing ever. Might as well hand over your financial freedom to CVS.
Take a step back and think about this for a moment. I am a pharmacist and my TAKE HOME PAY is a little over $80,000 per year. You students are BORROWING almost that much each year, and it is certainly more than an average WORKING person earns. Don't you think it's a bit excessive?
Salary is in the decline. Many new graduates are only getting 30 hours a week. That is a 25% cut in salary!
Have a barf bag ready for your student loan exit counseling. Shows you a nice big grand total in large font.Oh crap I almost forgot, thanks for the reminder!
Have a barf bag ready for your student loan exit counseling. Shows you a nice big grand total in large font.
No joke!
Have a barf bag ready for your student loan exit counseling. Shows you a nice big grand total in large font.
No joke!
Finished my exit counseling today. The total loan amount didn't kill me half as much as the monthly payment calculator. Damn
Do you derive pleasure out of making other people resent you? Or do you just think it makes you look better when you put others down? Seriously, dude!It's great to be in your mid 20s with no student loan debt. All of you suckers that still owe thousands get no pity from me.
Hard to believe 40k/year is normal for some of you... Seems crazy high to me.
So after I graduate next year, I'm looking at ~130K total. I will only be able to work part-time for a year while I finish my PhD. I will receive a salary for the program (~20K) that year and if I can find part-time or per diem work, I'm assuming I can take home around 40ish (tell me if I'm off base).
Do you think it's better to:
1) defer my loans while in my PhD program (~1.5 years) and not worry about it until later
2) Use the income from my PhD to pay off the unsubsidized grad plus loans on a monthly basis (or large payments)
3) Go on IBR with the 60K income
4) Go on a 10 year plan to pay them off
5) any other idea you can think of
Some people say defer and some say IBR.....
So I have seen many current and future pharmacy students stress the COST for a Pharm. D.
Should we make our decision to attend based on the cost of the school? From previous post many argue that the PROGRAM we attend really doesnt matter, unless we want to complete a RESIDENCY. Please share you opinion.
So I have seen many current and future pharmacy students stress the COST for a Pharm. D.
Should we make our decision to attend based on the cost of the school? From previous post many argue that the PROGRAM we attend really doesnt matter, unless we want to complete a RESIDENCY. Please share you opinion.
Why don't you make your choice based both on cost of school as well as the program? It seems the lower "ranked" programs also cost more, generally speaking...
Hard to believe 40k/year is normal for some of you... Seems crazy high to me.
I don't think many people have the option of spending less than 40k/year. For me, the only state schools that I could go for in-state tuition would cost me more in the long run with living expenses. I go to school locally and commute from home. It's actually cheaper for me to go to school that costs more in tuition over going to a cheaper in-state school where I would have to take out additional loans for more living expenses.
Just thought i would bump this thread up since those entering pharmacy school. My public service is done for the day.
Everyone should just go to an accelerated 3 year program. You get the same degree and the tuition, living expenses and loan interest you save your fourth year added to the extra salary by working a year earlier (100K) makes for huge savings.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone should just go to an accelerated 3 year program. You get the same degree and the tuition, living expenses and loan interest you save your fourth year added to the extra salary by working a year earlier (100K) makes for huge savings.
Except lack of employment as a result of being in such a compressed program may put you at a competitive disadvantage with residencies and Rph employment.
I had to deal with this when evaluating UOP student applicants...smart as all can be but when there's a premium on institutional work experience, it's sometimes hard to normalize them to UCSF applicants who had the time to do it.
Except lack of employment as a result of being in such a compressed program may put you at a competitive disadvantage with residencies and Rph employment.
I had to deal with this when evaluating UOP student applicants...smart as all can be but when there's a premium on institutional work experience, it's sometimes hard to normalize them to UCSF applicants who had the time to do it.
Plenty of people work in my 3 yr program. I do locally and lots of others do while some go home weekends to work. I think the benefits overall outweigh the cons for 3 way programs especially since the job market gets worse every year so there's one more incentive to git-er-done.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K