Calculating Centripetal Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markymark71990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty with the following question. Could somebody explain why the answer is B? I chose A. Apparently they are plugging in GMM/R^2 instead of MV^2/R for centripetal force and Im not quite sure why

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 1.33.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 1.33.06 PM.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 90
centripetal force in this scenario is equal to gravitational force i believe.

Reactions: 1 user
For any satellite body the centripetal force is the force due to gravity. Remember you need a force to change the direction of an object and the object (satellite) is changing direction to orbit the earth so there has to be a force. There is no other force in the system so the force that is keeping the satellite from flying off into deep space is the gravitational force.

ok awesome. Thanks for the clarification. Centripetal force always points toward the center of the circle, and in a satellite orbiting a planetary body, gravitational force also points toward the center, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
To try and answer your question about why you would use one equation over the other:

In this case, the reason that you wouldn't use the equation F = mv^2/r is because you have two variables that would change (the v and the r) from situation A to situation B. You can use the F = Gm1m2/r^2 equation, though, because that has nothing to do with speed and the only variable is r.

I am having difficulty with the following question. Could somebody explain why the answer is B? I chose A. Apparently they are plugging in GMM/R^2 instead of MV^2/R for centripetal force and Im not quite sure why

Status
Not open for further replies.