Calculus-Based Physics for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

001calcnet

Reaction score
I'm now officially a third-year pre-dental student, and about to finish my prerequisites for dental school. I only have Ochem II Lab (taking right now over the summer), Biochem (taking I and II), and Physics. For my physics requirement, my major (Biochem) allows me to take either the algebra-based sequence or the calculus-based sequence. I've talked to other pre-health students at my school about which to take and they all said to take algebra-based because it's easier. However, most of them are bio majors and only needed to take up to Calc I, but I've taken Calc I, II, and III, and got As in all of them. I feel like my knowledge of calc will allow me to do better at calculus-based physics more than algebra-based physics. I'm already registered to take the first part of calc-based in the fall.

Am I making a bad decision? Also, are there any dental schools that specifically require general physics instead of calculus-based? If it helps, I live in California.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm now officially a third-year pre-dental student, and about to finish my prerequisites for dental school. I only have Ochem II Lab (taking right now over the summer), Biochem (taking I and II), and Physics. For my physics requirement, my major (Biochem) allows me to take either the algebra-based sequence or the calculus-based sequence. I've talked to other pre-health students at my school about which to take and they all said to take algebra-based because it's easier. However, most of them are bio majors and only needed to take up to Calc I, but I've taken Calc I, II, and III, and got As in all of them. I feel like my knowledge of calc will allow me to do better at calculus-based physics more than algebra-based physics. I'm already registered to take the first part of calc-based in the fall.

Am I making a bad decision? Also, are there any dental schools that specifically require general physics instead of calculus-based? If it helps, I live in California.

Thanks!
I don't think it matters too much which physics you take, so long as you do well. Ironically my "calc-based" physics courses as a biochem major were still majority solved using algebra and the only calc was seen when they derived the equations. So unless the course is an engineering physics course, I could imagine you'll still see some type of algebra. But regardless, dental schools won't care which physics you take, they just want you to take it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't think of any dental school that requires calculus-based physics or calculus.
Harvard requires Calculus, calc 2/statistics

I can't think of any dental school that requires calculus-based physics or calculus.
Calc 1 and 2 I took because it was required for my major. 3 was recommended by the department and an impulsive choice that luckily worked out in the end, even though I know no dental school requires it

Harvard requires Calculus, calc 2/statistics
Do you think it's worth taking stats as well?? Outside of Harvard (I'm yet to know if I'll be a good fit there, and if I were I'd be covered on the math part anyway), I know some schools do require it but I don't think any of them are in California. I may add a math minor for my own interests and stats can count towards it.

Do you think it's worth taking stats as well?? Outside of Harvard (I'm yet to know if I'll be a good fit there, and if I were I'd be covered on the math part anyway), I know some schools do require it but I don't think any of them are in California. I may add a math minor for my own interests and stats can count towards it.
Stats is definitely liked by schools. Most would prefer biostats (which I found more interesting, and applicable!) if you decide to take it. But if you meet the math requirements for schools you don’t have to take it

Agree with others here saying go with whatever's easier but from my experience one risk of doing algebra-based physics is it might be so boring you fall asleep during the final.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I took Calc based physics and then Algebra based physics. I found calc based physics to be easier.

Reactions: 1 users