Calculus vs. Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loveherstory90

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m a post-bacc pre-dent student taking my prerequisite courses and I see that one of the dental schools I want to apply to indicates you can either take Calculus or Statistics. My question is which one is better to prepare to the DAT and/or dental school? Also which one is easier? I have taken a pre-calc course a long time ago and I’ve also had a psychology statistics course awhile ago so I kind of understand both of them a little. I’d rather go for the easier option tho.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't really need calculus or statistics for DAT. Just know algebra really well, as well as geometry. There might be few statistics concepts, but easy as just knowing what mean, median,mode, and standard deviation is, which is all taught in high school algebra. DAT math isn't very advanced, it's the timing that is hard.

Stats all the way for me. Easier than calculus in my book. I don't think it will sway the admissions committee one way or the other either. I took a calculus class once in college, never came upon it again after that semester. Stats on the other hand has shown up in my life from time to time (research, etc.)