Calculus based physics or not?

Started by sam26880
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sam26880

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ok..so here's the situation. I've taken one physics class and that was Physics II when I graduated with my masters in Computer Science. Physics I wasn't available that semester and they let me take Physics II which was Calculus based. Now I need one more semester of physics to apply. Does it have to be calculus based also or can I take a regular physics class? Do you think dental school will actually care about that? Should I take an easier level physics class when I already have taken a higher level one?

Thanks
 
ok..so here's the situation. I've taken one physics class and that was Physics II when I graduated with my masters in Computer Science. Physics I wasn't available that semester and they let me take Physics II which was Calculus based. Now I need one more semester of physics to apply. Does it have to be calculus based also or can I take a regular physics class? Do you think dental school will actually care about that? Should I take an easier level physics class when I already have taken a higher level one?

Thanks

I'm an engineering student and I would take the calc based one because of my background. For you, I'd take the easiest physics to meet the requirements. No reason to sweat through that class...

I haven't had ANYTHING like that come up during my interviews. Dental schools don't have time to look at your stuff that closely. Don't fret over it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say it depends on the schools you are applying. Some dental schools require General Physics 1 and 2, which are calculus based physics courses.
 
yeah, general physics is calc-based. college physics is trig-based.

my advice:take the easiest physics...dental schools only care about the GPA, baby!!

jb!
 
I am a tutor for Physics and I see the material for both calc and trig/algebra based physics. The calc is actually easier to understand. If you have any calc knowledge (all you need to know is how to do basic integration/diff) you can do the calc based.

As far as what do the schools want, I have asked 3 sets of admissions staff and they all said either is fine, as long as you take the accompanying labs.

Hope this helps!!