Calculus based physics or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam26880

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok..so here's the situation. I've taken one physics class and that was Physics II when I graduated with my masters in Computer Science. Physics I wasn't available that semester and they let me take Physics II which was Calculus based. Now I need one more semester of physics to apply. Does it have to be calculus based also or can I take a regular physics class? Do you think dental school will actually care about that? Should I take an easier level physics class when I already have taken a higher level one?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ok..so here's the situation. I've taken one physics class and that was Physics II when I graduated with my masters in Computer Science. Physics I wasn't available that semester and they let me take Physics II which was Calculus based. Now I need one more semester of physics to apply. Does it have to be calculus based also or can I take a regular physics class? Do you think dental school will actually care about that? Should I take an easier level physics class when I already have taken a higher level one?

Thanks

I'm an engineering student and I would take the calc based one because of my background. For you, I'd take the easiest physics to meet the requirements. No reason to sweat through that class...

I haven't had ANYTHING like that come up during my interviews. Dental schools don't have time to look at your stuff that closely. Don't fret over it.

Non-calculus based physics should suffice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it depends on the schools you are applying. Some dental schools require General Physics 1 and 2, which are calculus based physics courses.

yeah, general physics is calc-based. college physics is trig-based.

my advice:take the easiest physics...dental schools only care about the GPA, baby!!

jb!

I am a tutor for Physics and I see the material for both calc and trig/algebra based physics. The calc is actually easier to understand. If you have any calc knowledge (all you need to know is how to do basic integration/diff) you can do the calc based.

As far as what do the schools want, I have asked 3 sets of admissions staff and they all said either is fine, as long as you take the accompanying labs.

Hope this helps!!