Calculus Based Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veyep

Got Books?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys

I have algebra based physics, is harvard the only school that requires cal based physics? Do you know of any other schools? I am wondering if I should take two calc based physics or my one year algebra base would do it!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Classical physics was built on geometry, but our modern interpretation of it is built on the calculus that came with Newton, Leibniz, Lagrange and Hamilton. Acceleration, velocity and force are derivatives; impulse and moments are integrals. I've never felt you can separate physics and calculus, so I'd say take the calculus based on these snobby, philosophical grounds.

As for medical school both are probably fine. I had no idea Harvard required calc-based physics-good for them.

Penn State requires calc-based physics for all science majors.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT doesn't go beyond general physics however as mentioned before, modern physics is based on calculus so if you really want to learn physics, I suggest calc-based. Calc-based physics doesn't involve too much calculus either from what I understand..

Hello Guys

I have algebra based physics, is harvard the only school that requires cal based physics? Do you know of any other schools? I am wondering if I should take two calc based physics or my one year algebra base would do it!

thanks

oh god..don't do it

Calculus based physics is not all that much different from algebra based physics. The only things that I saw were a couple vector equations and parameters of certain vectors. Honestly, the only time we would apply calculus is when instructors talk about 3-dimensionality. However, in introductory calculus based physics, you are mainly doing problems in 2 dimensions. :thumbup:

Taking a calc-based physics might help you understand the concepts better. Some teachers go beyond the calculus and dip into diffy q. Why? Because they can, and it's fun.The MCAT only has algebra-based physics, so for this test and for most schools, you'd just be over killing it.

Hello Guys

thanks

Don't take risks you don't have to take. It's a different thing If you are a physics or math major or someone who likes math a lot. Personally, I would not do this If I were you. You have to figure out if you can handle it with all your other courses as well. Physics and orgo are one of those courses that become your life during that semester. Consider things carefully and avoid making some knee-jerk decision.

Calc based physics is really not that hard; it's just 1-2 more steps of calculation. Not a difficult class.

Take calc-based physics if you want to get a solid understanding of the material. If all you care about is doing well on the MCAT and fulfilling a prereq (and there's nothing wrong with this), algebra-based would work just fine.

With that being said, I really enjoyed calc-based physics. But I'm a math/physics type of person and not everyone likes that stuff as much as I do (understandably).