Calculus based Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whodatdoc31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the prereq for Calculus based physics is calculus II but I hear that you can make it with just Calc I. Has anyone heard or done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure, but you don't need calc-based physics for medical school or the MCAT. Algebra-based physics is perfectly fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my school, calc I was required. The professor often added math all the way up to diffy q so people get screwed anyway.

I know that the prereq for Calculus based physics is calculus II but I hear that you can make it with just Calc I. Has anyone heard or done this?

I believe there's some integration (which is generally Calc II) somewhere in there. It's been awhile but I don't remember heavily relying on calculus unless it was for a specific type of problem.

Not sure, but you don't need calc-based physics for medical school or the MCAT. Algebra-based physics is perfectly fine.

At my undergrad, all prehealth people take calc based physics. i was told by an advisor "it will help you with the MCAT" but you know more than me of course cuz youre pretty much in med school. :luck:

I believe there's some integration (which is generally Calc II) somewhere in there. It's been awhile but I don't remember heavily relying on calculus unless it was for a specific type of problem.
Moment of inertia is thing I can think of in Physics 1 that might require integration.

Moment of inertia is thing I can think of in Physics 1 that might require integration.

You are correct, sir.

Just grabbed my old physics book off the shelf and there's also the work equations in there.

Integration can be used pretty liberally--any time you deal in things larger than point sources (charges, mass), you'll likely bust out integrals.

I'm sure you just need basic calculus skills such as derivative and single integration maybe double for physic cal based

For me, the only calculus used in physics I was "the derivative is the slope" and "the integral is the area under the curve" for graph problems. Physics II requires actual integration.

As far as the MCAT is concerned I know that trig-based physics is all that is needed, but have heard that calc-based provides you with a better understanding which helps a great deal on the MCAT instead of just pure memorization of formulas

Honestly and unfortunately, it's about the A. Go for the A. For me, that meant non-Calc based Physics.

Edit: I'll still answer. According to my engineering friend, you'll be able to make it through Physics I fine, but Physics II will require some Calc II based concepts. To note, this is highly dependent on your institution because each school can disperse the information however they please.

Last edited:
I got lucky and my calc based physics was little more than algebra based physics with a 5 minute derivation at the beginning of every lecture.