Calculus...Do you have to take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMike

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a non-trad I was a business major and do not have a very high math background. All I have is pre-calc with my first degree. The university I am taking pre-reqs at is stressing that I take Calculus (since it is a pre-req to Chem II, orgo, etc).

Anyone just done pre-reqs and not taken math?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard, Calculus is something that you might want to consider. The school you go to will depend on whether it is necessary or not. Some medical schools require it, while others do not. However, if it is a prereq to Orgo, so you may have to take this course. I know at Penn's Post Bac the only prereq that is a math is Algebra and Trig for Physics. Some of my friends, who are in med school/Residencies have suggested the notion of taking calc, but I guess it depends on the person and program.

Check the requirements of the schools you plan on applying to, they should be on their websites. Some "recommend" calculus, few require it, but if in doubt, contact the schools and see what they say. Requirements are fairly standard as a year of biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry and physics with labs, but they can vary widely - some require calculus, some require biochemistry, some require other classes. Check ahead and save yourself some cash if none of the schools you are looking at require it.

Members don't see this ad :)
very few schools require a full year of calculus (harvard and WUSTL come to mind), and several require a semester. if you're looking to skip it, buy the MSAR and be careful where you apply.

and psychNstein, go make your own thread.

Sorry, new at this... My apologies for infiltrating! Thank you for the kind reminder schrizto. I guess I'll just start another thread...?

Last edited:
Im in the same position as you buddy. I am REALLY hoping to avoid calculus en route to med school. From what Ive gathered, about 10% of med schools require at least one semester of calculus (so if you dont take it, those schools will not be options for you). A good chunk of the others schools recommend it- now what "recommend" means, is up for interpretation. My guess is that if you are a strong applicant that they would otherwise offer an acceptance to, Id doubt that your not having taken this "recommended" course, would alter their decision.

A more realistic concern is whether or not calc is needed in order for you to take another pre-rec (specifically, phsyics). At my school, they offer both algebra based, and calculus based physics. However, there are some schools which only teach calculus based physics. In this case, I think it would be impossible to do well in such a course without a good background in calc.
So- you need to find out if your school offers algebra based physics.

Lastly, someone else mentioned that Orgo might require Calc. Ive not heard this concern before. I havent taken Orgo yet, so Im not the best person to discuss this with, but I was not under the impression that Orgo required math skills beyond basic arithmetic and perhaps some basic algebra. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Good luck-SH