Calculus for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brienene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone weigh in on how much calculus you really need (i.e., one semester, two semesters, etc.) for the MCATs? Otherwise, is it just a good knowledge base for physics?

Also, when choosing among genetics, biochem, and microbio, which one offers best preparation for the MCAT (post-intro bio)?

Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

brienene said:
Can anyone weigh in on how much calculus you really need (i.e., one semester, two semesters, etc.) for the MCATs? Otherwise, is it just a good knowledge base for physics?

Also, when choosing among genetics, biochem, and microbio, which one offers best preparation for the MCAT (post-intro bio)?

Thanks for your help!!

No calculus is necessary, just know your algebra!

Biochemistry or Genetics are both helpful. Microbiology is not. I suggest that you take Biochemistry and then teach yourself genetics. All you really need to know about genetics are the 4 basic modes of inheritance (Aut. Dom, Aut. Rec, X Rec, and X Dom).

Just read that chapter out of any biology textbook and then do a bunch of pedigree practice problems before the MCAT.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck.

brienene said:

Thanks for your help!!
there was absolutely no calculus. that level of math is too hard to expect from american students :rolleyes: . it didnt help on physics. all the math is arithmetic and algebra, i think just algebra 1 at that.

i guess i would say genetics helped the most out of those. in the last few years theyve increased the content of dna and such, while cutting back some on orgo i believe.

brienene said:

Thanks for your help!!

You don't need calculus for the MCAT. All the math is easily doable without.

I think biochem might be the best prep. Be sure to pay attention to the genetics in your basic bio class and study it if it's been awhile. Genetics questions are common and generally seem to include some mix of standard Punnet squares, a pedigree from which you need to determine whether a trait is dominant, recessive, or sex-linked, and perhaps a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium question. I recommend test prep! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Back to topic,
I though algebra was more important than Calculus?
Why do they make us learn math anyway, one does not need to know math to become a doctor??

No calculus on the exam.

genetics on the MCAT is quite simple but be sure you can do a pedigree forwards and backwards. I had 2 on mine and one I saved for the end because I did it wrong and got confused. took me about 3 minutes to complete it for some reason.

flip a coin on biochem/ microbiology. i am currently taking both courses required for my major. So far it seems biochem goes into greater detail on more MCAT related subjects than microbiology.

Any bio you encounter on the MCAT requires ONLY introductory bio 1 and 2. Don't let words you are not familiar with or have not seen before fool you. Take the MCAT topic list and look it over.

JustR said:
Back to topic,
Why do they make us learn math anyway, one does not need to know math to become a doctor??

i always encourage learning as much math as possible...but then again, i am an engineer :cool:

brienene said:

Thanks for your help!!

Everyone has already beaten the first question to death, and they're right. No calc on the MCAT. But you should probably still take calc anyway b/c some schools require it. Also, if you can take calc-based physics at your school and you are comfortable enough with the math to earn a good grade in the class, then IMHO you should take the calc-based physics b/c it's a more rigorous course. Ditto for biochem and genetics; you should probably take them, because some schools require or recommend these courses, but you do not need them for the MCAT. If you want to take an advanced science course for MCAT purposes, I'd actually recommend some kind of physiology course. It seems like a lot of gen bio courses gloss over that material. I know that mine did.

gujuDoc said:
No I agree with you. I am by no means an engineer, but I am taking Calculus II and it makes a lot more sense then algebra.

JustR,

Once you've taken calculus, you'll find that it is actually easier then algebra when you get the topics down because it makes solving problems quicker on some level because there are less steps.

I think it's impossible to pass calc I without having a solid algebra base. I also think that the emphasis on calculus in most univeristies is quite overrated. While it is certainly useful for various applications in the engineering, business, statistics, medical, and tech fields, I think requiring 2 semesters of algebra and one of trig would go much further to strenghten the math skills that most people will find useful in the day to day trials of their careers.

JustR said:
Back to topic,

Math is the international language of science and is absolutely necessary to understand everything that can be quantified. Without math, we would fail to understand most of nature.

Calculus is a simplified way of looking at all of physics and parts of other fields.

Algebra is required for Calculus but Calculus can be understood without Algebra (albeit at a much slower rate).

McGillGrad said:
Math is the international language of science and is absolutely necessary to understand everything that can be quantified. Without math, we would fail to understand most of nature.

Totally. Math is the most precise way of expressing relationships between two or more quantities. I should say, probably the fastest, most efficient way as well. Imagine if we had to qualitatively state every relationship: "and if the temperature is held constant, and the pressure increases, then blah blah..." Basically, we'd be resorting to written logic.

McGillGrad said:
"Calculus is a simplified way of looking at all of physics and parts of other fields.

Algebra is required for Calculus but Calculus can be understood without Algebra (albeit at a much slower rate)."

I wouldn't go so far as to say calculus is a simplified way of looking at things. What calculus does is allow one to find the rate of change of quantities which vary with time. This is useful because frankly, the graphs of most functions out there (whether in pure math or the physical sciences) are simply not linear. Integration is also quite useful. On another note, I don't think calculus can be understood without algebra. You do so much factoring, synthetic division, using the quadratic formula, etc... I would go so far as to say calculus is excellent practice for the MCAT, because it'll definitely sharpen your basic math skills fast.

McGillGrad said:

Calculus is a simplified way of looking at all of physics and parts of other fields.

Algebra is required for Calculus but Calculus can be understood without Algebra (albeit at a much slower rate).

I can't do math and I make A's in medical school.

OSUdoc08 said:
I can't do math and I make A's in medical school.

Math includes everything from adding/subtracting to 'advanced derivatives of zero'. So you can do math, just not complicated math.

McGillGrad said:
Math includes everything from adding/subtracting to 'advanced derivatives of zero'. So you can do math, just not complicated math.

BINGO.

The forum discussion is aimed at whether or not calculus is useful for the MCAT and medical school.

It is in fact useless for medical students AND clinical physicians.

gujuDoc said:
I think you may have misunderstood the other poster.

I think the point they are driving home is that while it is not necessary, it does teach you a different way to look at things and to critically analyze things, etc. etc. etc. It also simplifies certain prereq classes in a way too by explaining where a lot of the formulas for different physics equations come from.

So again, NOT NECESSARY, BUT HELPFUL sometimes.

Well I can agree that it can be helpful for some people. It wasn't helpful for me. I didn't want to know or care where the physics equations came from. I also took non-calc based physics for a reason.

I have been taking a lab with emphasis on writing publishable reports. Our TA makes us go through a propagation of error in measurements which requires partial derivatives.

I could see where calculus could be applicable if you are interested in doing research.

BrettBatchelor said:
I have been taking a lab with emphasis on writing publishable reports. Our TA makes us go through a propagation of error in measurements which requires partial derivatives.

I could see where calculus could be applicable if you are interested in doing research.

I agree. It could be applicable if you are doing research. Most medical students plan on being clinical physicians and not research physicians.