*** calculus ii - summer time ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lunasly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in a situation where I think I am in trouble. I won't bore you with the details and I'll make this post quick.

I am a freshman right now I am thinking I want to major in human physiology and anatomy. Now the problem is that because I am in a bachelors of Science program, I am required to take both calc I and calc II. I enjoy math, but I am not good at it. I am taking 19 credit hours next semester if I was to take calculus II and it would just be brutal. I am pretty sure it would kill my GPA.

Now I have to take chemistry II this summer for sure. If I don't I won't be able to continue on with my other upper level biology and chemistry courses. However, I am also thinking of taking calculus II over the summer with chemistry II. The problem is that it is a gamble. Based on summer 2010's time table, calculus II was run on Wednesdays at the same time as chemistry II. However in the summer 2009, 2008, and 2007 they ran at different time. You see, because I am planning to travel in the summer before my third year will mean that if I get screwed for calculus this summer, I will have to take it in the summer before my last year. That is 2 years and 2 semesters from the last time I took calculus and I might just forget a lot of it.

What do you guys think? Take the gamble? If everything works in my favour it will hopefully mean a nice GPA.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recommend general chemistry over the summer nor do I recommend calc. You'd be better of taking 2-3 general education requirements over the summer ( not difficult at all) and leaving calc 2 and chem 2 for the fall or spring. However if you're doing calculus based physics you might have to do calc 2 over the summer or better more take out 2 electives out of the spring and substitute them for calculus and do them over the summer.

Thank you for the reply I greatly appreciate it.

However, I do not have a choice about chemistry. I am taking Chemistry I in the winter and if I don't take chemistry II in the summer I can continue with my biology or chemistry courses in the fall of my sophmore year. However, because calculus is very difficult, I thought it would be better to do it in the summer. It is not a compressed course and runs for an entire 4 months of the summer. Chemistry on the other hand is a 2 month course instead of 4 month s which begins in the middle of the summer until the end. So it should not be too difficult especially if those are what I am mainly focusing on.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only problem I really see is you'll be forced to take orgo in the summer. This is unless your biology courses require chemistry 2, which is unlikely and if it is a problem I'm sure you can opt to take another class which doesn't require it ( like genetics or micro which I think almost every biology major is forced to take no matter what).

Hmm I don't see how I would have to take Orgo in the summer. Based on what my advisor said, as long as I take chem II in this summer, I will be right on track. :O

Take them both this summer.

I agree with Serenade. Many students are unprepared for the pace of a summer course - you typically put 4 months worth of class into 2 months. Even if you are only taking one or two classes, this can be difficult. My recommendation is to go sit down with your advisor and plan out the entire rest of your college career (or just the required classes for your major). Usually you can be a semester or two late starting pre-requisites for your major and still graduate on time. For example, I was a chemistry major and I started chem during spring semester of my freshman year. I didn't take summer classes, and it caused no problems for me. Your situation won't necessarily be the same, but it is worth it to sit down with your advisor and make sure you need to take the summer class before you do it.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I will talkto my advisor and set out a plan for the next few years. :) Thanks!@