beaneek

IU 2009
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
Optometrist
does anyone know why Berkeley requires students to take calc 2? Does anyone know if there is a lot of calculus involved in Geometric Optics?

Rosanna

Not rejected by the CIA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Status
Optometrist
Hello:

Berkeley generally has more prerequisites required than other schools. As for the exact reasons why 3 quarters of calculus is required is unknown to me. I believe NEWENCO is the only other optometry school that requires 3 quarters. I actually took 2 quarters of calculus and 1 quarter of statistics and that was fine when I applied two years ago.

In general, Dr. Van Sluyters has told me that Berkeley requires a lot of science prerequisites (Biochemistry, Anatomy, Microbiology, Physiology, etc.) because you will not be taught those subjects in our program. Some of those subjects may be asked on the NBEO so you will need to review it before. So, the professional program here is really focused on the visual system. Other optometry schools will have you taking Anatomy, Physio, and Biochem as part of their curriculum since they do not require it as a prerequisite.

From what I can remember, the first year geometric optics class had literally no calculus involved.

Best wishes,

Rosanna

-------------
From UCBSO's website:

Why are UCBSO's pre-optometry prerequisites more extensive than other schools and colleges of optometry?

By requiring our applicants to complete human anatomy, human physiology, microbiology, and biochemistry lecture and laboratory courses prior to admission, you can begin your professional education at a much higher level than at other schools. From the start you will focus your studies on optometry, with clinical training beginning on the first day of the first semester in a five-credit preclinical lecture and laboratory course. By the end of the first semester, you will have learned to perform — and will have passed rigorous proficiency tests on — case history, visual acuity testing, cover testing, pupil testing, keratometric measurement of the cornea, retinoscopy, subjective refraction, biomicroscopic examination of the anterior segment, binocular indirect and direct ophthalmoscopy of the retina, and much, much more.

hoosier1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Status
Hey, does anyone know why only one quarter of calc is required for some schools (4 qrtr units). It doesnt make any sense cuz I just found out that a prerequisite for starting the General physics is finishing the entire calc series. Does it mean they wont count the extra calculus classes into our GPA?

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
I think the optometry schools generally include every class taken in your GPA, although some also look at pre-req GPA's individually, usually to compare how much they differ from the total.

OP
beaneek

beaneek

IU 2009
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
Optometrist
cpw said:
I don't remember there being ANY calculus in OD school at all. Nothing harder than basic alegebra and some geometry.
Phew, good to know..(I thought I was going to have to do some major reviewing!!)

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
It blows that Berkeley has such an extensive list of pre-requisites. I was interested in their program, but even applying means another year of under-grad. It seems the net education gained is about the same as at any other school, but Berkeley has under-grad. pick up some of the slack that most other optometry colleges pick up themselves. Is that incorrect?

iVision

SCCO c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Status
Optometry Student
Commando303, I'm not sure what your question is asking, but I think you're wondering why Berkeley requires all these pre-requisites when other optometry teach these subjects in their curriculum. It's not that they're "slacking". Admission's perspective for their extensive pre-requisite requirements is why should they teach a course that can be taught at any undergrad institution? Berkeley reasoning is to focus on clinic as well as optometry/vision-related courses that only their program can teach rather than spending time teaching something that can be taught well in a good undergrad program.

EyEnStein 07

Senior ɸ Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
East Coast
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey, does anyone know why only one quarter of calc is required for some schools (4 qrtr units). It doesnt make any sense cuz I just found out that a prerequisite for starting the General physics is finishing the entire calc series. Does it mean they wont count the extra calculus classes into our GPA?
1 year of calculus is only a pre-req for the calculus based physics course. There is certainly (or should be) another physics course at your school that is algebra based.

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
NYC
Status
Optometry Student
1 year of calculus is only a pre-req for the calculus based physics course. There is certainly (or should be) another physics course at your school that is algebra based.
Not to mention the pre-reqs are slightly different for every university.