1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Calculus requirements??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DoctorSaab, Sep 28, 2002.

1. DoctorSaab

DoctorSaab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello,

I am a freshman right now in college. My major is Biology, and also doing Pre-Med/Pre-Dentistry.

My advisor told me I needed only 1 semester of calc. It's called Calc 211 here. Anyway, I'm taking that right now. However, after taking this class, I will not be able to take any more calculus because if I wanted to take more, I would have had to first take Calc 229. And to the Math departments rules, a person cannot take Calc 211 and 229, and get a credit from each. The calc class after 229 is Calc 230. I won't be able to take Calc 230, because I haven't taken Calc 229, and much of the principles come from Calc 229 rather than 211. Those principles will be needed to succeed in Calc 230.

I have been told by the Math Department that if i want to take Calc 229, then I will need to withdraw my credit for 211, and then take 229. In this manner, I will lose a semester, and all that time late at night that i spent doing all that homework and sacrificed my sleep!

So I think I got screwed. Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you think a semester of Calc, and a semester of Statistics would be enough to meet Pre-Med/Pre-Dentistry requirements?

Thanks.

2. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

I'm under the quarter system, so I don't know how well it would fit with the semester system. I've found that 2 quarters of calc and 1 quarter of stats met most if not all the requirements. for reference, 3 quarters = 2 semesters. and not all schools required math, but I think it is pretty much expected that you take it. talking to your premed advisor might be the best course of action.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. phil413ru

phil413ru Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should be fine with just one semester calc. Most schools do not even require calc, and those that do usually require only a semester (through differential calc). Unless you want to go to Harvard/Duke/Cornell/John Hopkins (all require entire single-variable calc-2 semesters) I would just stick with the semester. Plus, stats will be more applicable than intergral calculus. Good Luck!;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...