Calculus Vs DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pulltoothad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am undergrad student with 3.24 GPA. This is my last quarter at UCI and am taking 12 units.
Here is my huge dilemma. I took the first quarter of calc my freshman year ( i got an A in it). It has been 4 years since then, and now I DONT REMEMBER ANYTHING FROM FIRST CALC!!!! I know dental schools don't require second quarter of calc, but i need to take it to graduate. I am stuck between these two choices. please help me pick one:

1) I drop calc, and study hardcore for DAT, and take it in June-July!
Keep in mind, if I do this I will not have my bachelor degree by the time I submit my application. ( i will take cacl sometime in fall or second summer session)

2) Keep Calc, study hard for it and get an A :).... then start studying for DAT in june and take the DAT sometime in August-September! ( this way i will have a B.S. by the time I apply, but my they wont get my DAT scores until September, which is late)?

Note: I still havnt taken physics either, because it was not part of my major. I will take them next fall.
:( I just read this and realized I am in deep S***T with such GPA and situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I am undergrad student with 3.24 GPA. This is my last quarter at UCI and am taking 12 units.
Here is my huge dilemma. I took the first quarter of calc my freshman year ( i got an A in it). It has been 4 years since then, and now I DONT REMEMBER ANYTHING FROM FIRST CALC!!!! I know dental schools don't require second quarter of calc, but i need to take it to graduate. I am stuck between these two choices. please help me pick one:

1) I drop calc, and study hardcore for DAT, and take it in June-July!
Keep in mind, if I do this I will not have my bachelor degree by the time I submit my application. ( i will take cacl sometime in fall or second summer session)

2) Keep Calc, study hard for it and get an A :).... then start studying for DAT in june and take the DAT sometime in August-September! ( this way i will have a B.S. by the time I apply, but my they wont get my DAT scores until September, which is late)?

Note: I still havnt taken physics either, because it was not part of my major. I will take them next fall.
:( I just read this and realized I am in deep S***T with such GPA and situation.

You know you don't need to have your degree completely finished when you apply, right? Schools have different deadlines for when your classes need to be complete, but generally its not until summer before you plan to enter dschool (ie. summer next year for you). Taking the DAT early is important, so I would worry about that and then just make sure you have everything in line to finish up your bachelor's before dschool.

september dat is late. I know you'll hear stories here and there about people who applied in october and november and still eventually got accepted, but overall, your odds of getting an acceptance are higher when you are an early applicant (June-early July).

I think you should go with the earlier DAT option. You don't have to have your B.S degree by time you apply

Members don't see this ad :)
guys, but I am getting my BS in 5 years...and if i drop calc and take it later, it will look like i got my bs in 5 years and one quarter. lol
yet I have well over 240 quarter units. ( i changed my major my sophmore year and have many electives)... so it is not like I was taking 8 units per quarter

High DAT score > Course Load

1 extra quarter will not hurt you.