Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikehussey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who used the Kaplan Book, was the Math section, especially the Calculus part, sufficient enough to get you a good score? Also the book didn't talk about the trig functions and unit circle, does that mean we don't have to study for it?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Kaplan course and we went over trig functions and unit circle in class. Overall, I was extremely satisfied with Kaplan, however, I feel math is the weakest area of their program. I consistently scored in the 90+ percentile in the quantitative section on all of my practice exams, yet < 50 on actual test day. Luckily I was >90 in every other section and ended up with a 95 composite. I would highly recommend supplementing your kaplan materials with an additional math prep source. Hope this helps... ~Z

It depends on how much you already know/retained from your calculus class. I did well on the QA section using only Kaplan. I don't remember trig functions/unit circle being emphasized topics on the PCAT.

Try doing some practice questions to get a sense of how comfortable you are with the material.

PharmHealth_KI brings up a good point - your existing skill set plays a big part too...

I took calculus as an undergrad 15+ years ago, and didn't Ace it back then. But like I said, I was crushing the Quantitative section on the practice tests, so I feel like Kaplan gave me a false sense of confidence in that regard. But that's just my experience...