Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mikehussey

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For people who used the Kaplan Book, was the Math section, especially the Calculus part, sufficient enough to get you a good score? Also the book didn't talk about the trig functions and unit circle, does that mean we don't have to study for it?
 
I took the Kaplan course and we went over trig functions and unit circle in class. Overall, I was extremely satisfied with Kaplan, however, I feel math is the weakest area of their program. I consistently scored in the 90+ percentile in the quantitative section on all of my practice exams, yet < 50 on actual test day. Luckily I was >90 in every other section and ended up with a 95 composite. I would highly recommend supplementing your kaplan materials with an additional math prep source. Hope this helps... ~Z
 
It depends on how much you already know/retained from your calculus class. I did well on the QA section using only Kaplan. I don't remember trig functions/unit circle being emphasized topics on the PCAT.

Try doing some practice questions to get a sense of how comfortable you are with the material.
 
PharmHealth_KI brings up a good point - your existing skill set plays a big part too...

I took calculus as an undergrad 15+ years ago, and didn't Ace it back then. But like I said, I was crushing the Quantitative section on the practice tests, so I feel like Kaplan gave me a false sense of confidence in that regard. But that's just my experience...