Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krazed_Medic

Registered Banned User
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, i need to know if taking calculus is important for med. school. This meaning, if i don't take it, will it keep me from getting into med school. The only reason I'm asking this question is, I am behind on science classes. I haven't taken any this first year because of work constraints. And, lucky for me, calculus isn't on my major. I'm not afraid of math stuff, just don't care to take more than i have to take. Thanks!:D :cool: +pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

most schools do not require calculus but it is recommended. I know a few MD schools do but I'm not sure about DO. To be sure you should check the websites of schools you are interested in, they usually have a list of requirements.

Taking calculus won't hurt you. If I were in your shoes I would take every class that I thought would help me get into medical school. You must do everything the school recommends doing. Most school look for any reason to deny an application due to the number of qualified applicants, therefore it would be to your benefit to take those classes that are not required. They will show an admissions committe your dedication to do whatever it takes to get into medical school... above and beyond the other qualified applicants. That being said, I took calculus and was accepted to several schools. Calculus is pretty cool... JUST DO IT!

Best Wishes,
JJ

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree. Do more than what is just "required," if possible. However, only do that if you know you can get an ok grade in the classes. I got a B in calc I and i'll probably get the same in calc II. Those are ok grades, so it was probably to my benefit to take them. One of my friends, on the other hand, got a C- in precalc. There's no way she would take the risk of calculus.

I agree with the above posters. I was asked in my interviews what classes I took and enjoyed above and beyond the minimum med school requirements. Take any courses and do any EC activities that will help your cause.

Thanks for the replies. It's a big help. This place is priceless!!!
Thanks again!

I have a question along theses lines as well. I'm a psych major, so i only have to go up to pre-calculus and a year of statistics. after taking a year of stats, is it really necessary to take calc 1? i mean, i'll prob take calc anyways during a summer term, but i'm interested in some feedback.:confused:

FutureM.D.

From the Western Website: (http://www.westernu.edu/comp/admissions.htm#Application)

"Applicants applying for admission to the DO program must meet the following minimum academic requirements at the time of application:

A grade point average in science of 2.50 and an overall GPA of 2.50.
A minimum of 90 semester hours, from a regionally-accredited college or university.
Application may be submitted prior to taking the MCAT.
The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is a requirement. The MCAT exam must be taken prior to January of the entering year.
All applicants must complete eight (8) semester units of:

Biology
Inorganic Chemistry (with lab)
Organic Chemistry (with lab)
Physics
and six (6) semester units of:

English
Behavioral Science "

So no math requirement there!

and from the Touro Website: (http://209.209.34.25/webdocs/admissions/tucominfo.htm)

4 semester units of Math/Comp. Science is required

Hope this helps! I totally recommend that you hit up specific admissions counselors for their opinions... At Touro email Steven Davis and at Western email Gloria Garcia... they have been totally helpful to me!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

In Texas, every single school requires calculus, or stats. I got into med school the year they changed this and luckily I never took the stupid course. I am in the top 10% of my class and I have yet to see any math that is difficult. Calculus is something someone dreamt up to punish undergrad students. Algebra is actually useful. Med schools are funny though, as some have very minimal pre-reqs, with others having more rigorous ones. Org, Physics, Bio, and Chem are the basics of every program's pre-reqs, but the others are variable.

I think Calculus is a weed out course. Seriously. All of the physicians and pharmacists I have asked say you'll never need it in medicine.
My university has a transfer program with KCOM, and they insist that KCOM requires it. I called KCOM and asked, and they said that my university requires it, not them. They said it is definitely not a prereq, and totally not necessary and thought it was weird that I was even asking.
HTH

Yeah I ran into a similar issue between what my school says the state MD school requires and what the school says itself that it requires. According to my premed advisor Colorado needs one semester of Calc and recommends two, but now I've found out that they only recommend both Calc I and II but it's not required. Unfortunately one semester is required for my bio degree :(

--Jessica, UCCS