Cali and Texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoMatterWhat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the Northeast. Should I even try to apply for some schools in CA and TX?? or do they heavily favor in-states that someone from OOS would need ridiculously high stats to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from the Northeast. Should I even try to apply for some schools in CA and TX?? or do they heavily favor in-states that someone from OOS would need ridiculously high stats to get into?

I can't say for sure about CA schools, I think they are similar but maybe not quite as hard as TX for OOS students.

Public Texas schools are required to have 90% of their matriculants be Texas residents. For example, according to MSAR Texas A&M had 465 OOS apply for 20 interviews and 16 acceptances. There were 134 in-state acceptances. UT-Houston has even bleaker stats for OOS students: 698 apply for 80 interviews and only 21 acceptances, while admitting 208 in-state students. All the other schools are similar.

Baylor is not a private school so they don't have the 90% rule... its only an 80% rule (or is it 70%?) for them.

However, TMDSAS has really cheap application fees, so even though it's a long shot it only costs a few hundred dollars to apply to every single Texas school (other than Baylor, which uses AMCAS). And most of them either have no secondary or cheap secondaries, too.

To get into CA schools from oos, you will definitely need well above average stats and/or ECs. The public schools that take a decent # of oos students are UCLA, UCSD, & UCSF.

USC is probably your best bet, b/c it is private and doesn't really favor in-state.

Also, if your christian, maybe loma linda is a good option. However, make sure you look into their code of conduct first.

While Texas schools are required to ACCEPT 90%, I believe UT-Southwestern is more OOS friendly than the other schools.

Also, Baylor is required to accept 70% in-state, while the actual number that matriculate there varies.

I would recommend definitely applying to Baylor (just for the chance of getting the sweet tuition deal) and applying to Southwestern if you feel you would be competitive, otherwise it might be a waste of time and $.