What gpa would you say makes a URM competitive for Texas MD and top 25 schools ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxMed55

Reaction score
Im currently planning to apply this cycle and been having a tough semester in my coding classes and may have a slight drop in my gpa and was wondering if a above a 3.7 would still keep me competitive for the texas med schools and top 25 schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

Look at MSAR. There are people who get in with that GPA to all texas med schools and top 25s. It’s below the median for some, so you likely need to be above MCAT median or have something else that helps you stand out for those schools

Reactions: 1 user
Please note that the upcoming SCOTUS ruling will likely take away the use of race/ethnicity in admissions decisions. We don't know how this will change policies for medical school, but be aware.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please note that the upcoming SCOTUS ruling will likely take away the use of race/ethnicity in admissions decisions. We don't know how this will change policies for medical school, but be aware.
I am aware but I doubt it will change anything for this cycle. I was just curious on how my gpa stood.

I am aware but I doubt it will change anything for this cycle. I was just curious on how my gpa stood.

SCOTUS decisions tend to be immediate (i.e. abortion, gay marriage). That's of course out of anyone here's control and the exact scope of the ruling is unknown.

With current policies, a 3.7 is more than fine. Honestly a 3.5 probably won't close any doors outside of the T5. A high MCAT score will also make up for deficiencies in GPA more than the other way around.

at present URM is roughly equivalent to +5 LizzyM score which is worth enough to take a 3.7 to a 4.0 and a 510 to a 513. Or a 3.7 to a 3.9 and a 515 to a 518

That puts you below median for t5 schools but still competitive

The page you linked to says nothing of the sort. Perhaps you’re conflating it with this, the relevant part of which reads as follows:

LizzyM Score = 10*GPA + MCAT

The page you linked to says nothing of the sort. Perhaps you’re conflating it with this, the relevant part of which reads as follows:

He may have been thinking of the WARS score. There's a slider for URM/not that adds a bunch of points.

He may have been thinking of the WARS score. There's a slider for URM/not that adds a bunch of points.
I was referring to the MCAT itself (a 508 becomes the equivalent of a 513) for military personnel.
Naturally, this is a approximation of the "boost" given to military, not UiM. They don't actually go into the application and change the score!
The "boost" will vary by school (depending on the weight they assign this experience), just like everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was referring to the MCAT itself (a 508 becomes the equivalent of a 513) for military personnel.
Naturally, this is a approximation of the "boost" given to military, not UiM. They don't actually go into the application and change the score!
The "boost" will vary by school (depending on the weight they assign this experience), just like everything else.
Crossed signals. I misinterpreted and thought they were talking about one of the scores which gives a +x boost specifically for URM status (which would be WARS).

I didn't link a page. The forum must be doing some auto hyperlink or whatever. Use the search feature and you can see this is a common +5.

Im currently planning to apply this cycle and been having a tough semester in my coding classes and may have a slight drop in my gpa and was wondering if a above a 3.7 would still keep me competitive for the texas med schools and top 25 schools ?
You'll be fine boss, I was WAAAY less than that for my GPA, my MCAT wasn't great either, and I managed a T25. You'll be competitive as long as you do decently well on MCAT.

I think the difference will be how much MONEY is being offered. applying to T25 and TMDSAS you'll have great schools to choose from, but the cherry on top will be a sweet financial aid package on top of that.

You'll be fine boss, I was WAAAY less than that for my GPA, my MCAT wasn't great either, and I managed a T25. You'll be competitive as long as you do decently well on MCAT.

I think the difference will be how much MONEY is being offered. applying to T25 and TMDSAS you'll have great schools to choose from, but the cherry on top will be a sweet financial aid package on top of that.
yeah my main motivation for top 25 isn't so much about prestige but the opportunity of getting better aid. I love my state school despite being hard. Thank you for your comment this process and this semester has definitely made me question my worth.