Cali community programs vs OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Somewhatmaybe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Just need some help with ranking. I am originally from California and I want to go back for residency and work. I was lucky enough to get 6 interviews on the West Coast: USC, Loma Linda, UC Davis, Santa Barbara, Harbor-UCLA, and OHSU. I was wondering if I want to get back to California is it better to rank the Cali Community programs higher than OHSU, even though OHSU is more academic.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in those specific areas, like stay in Santa Barbara after completing residency, it would make sense to go there over more academic names outside of California. If you're aiming for California broadly, and thus just trying to be the most marketable candidate in general, I would rank OHSU over Harbor and Davis.

I would agree USC is the most prominent academic program, but any particular reason why you put LLU and Santa Barbara above Davis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, that wasn't in the order of how I was going to rank it.
This is my rank order so far:
1. USC
2. Loma Linda
3. UC Davis
4. Santa Barbara
5. Harbor-UCLA
6. OHSU

Davis is fine, I'm just not a fan of the area. Honestly would rather live in Oregon. Harbor I've heard some negative rumors about, could be totally false - I didn't actually interview there.

I would agree USC is the most prominent academic program, but any particular reason why you put LLU and Santa Barbara above Davis?
It was more of a location reason. I'm from Southern California and have family in LA, so I wanted to stay closer.

Davis is fine, I'm just not a fan of the area. Honestly would rather live in Oregon. Harbor I've heard some negative rumors about, could be totally false - I didn't actually interview there.

I also got the impression that Harbor is not set up to provide top-notch education, but their graduates have gone on to some fantastic fellowship programs. I don't know what to think.