Cali dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alekshura2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My number one choice dental school is obviously my state school, U of M. But, i know i have to have some back up schools. My top back up schools are Loma Linda and U of P dental school. They are both located in California. What is the ratio of a non resident getting into one of those cali school. I am asking this question because I have heard that most cali schools show a lot preference to cali residents, is that true?

Are there many people on this forum who have gotten into a cali dental school being a non resident of the state?
Would appreciate your participation, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are private schools, and neither show preference to California residents. Pick yourself up an ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hardly call UOP as a backup school seeing how selective they are in choosing who to interview. I would say the same with Loma Linda because they are a very religious school requiring a pastor's letter and favor SDA.

It appears you are making those assumptions based on gpa/DAT so let me warn you ASDOH will not be an easy backup school despite their record because they are probably the most community service oriented school meaning w/o any service u will be rejected as other posters on sdn have recently mentioned. My point is you can't assume a backup school solely on stats.

I would hardly call UOP as a backup school seeing how selective they are in choosing who to interview. I would say the same with Loma Linda because they are a very religious school requiring a pastor's letter and favor SDA.

It appears you are making those assumptions based on gpa/DAT so let me warn you ASDOH will not be an easy backup school despite their record because they are probably the most community service oriented school meaning w/o any service u will be rejected as other posters on sdn have recently mentioned. My point is you can't assume a backup school solely on stats.

Maybe i should have said that UOP is one of my schools that i would really like to go to, not a backup school.

What makes you think that i am making my assumptions based on gpa/DAT. I have a very competitive GPA for those schools, and have a ton of community and extra curr activities. Why Loma Linda? I grew up in a christian family, and my life really revolves around my church. It would be awesome to be part of Loma Linda for that reason. Why UOP? Many of my friends and family live in that area and the 3 year program also sounds good. So those are my two top choices, that is if i don't get into my state school.

I think Loma Linda will be really hard to get into, even if you are Christian. They actually have preference for Seventh-Day Adventists.

UOP is the premier dental school America, and by extension, the universe. The faculty is top-notch, and what's better, approachable. The admin is competent and helpful- amazing! - and are happy to answer your questions on the phone. This is important. A good administration won't improve your experience in dental school that much, but a bad one can make your life a living hell :mad:. The facilities are constantly updated, and top notch. The curriculum is tailored for dentists--why would you want to get extensive training on the anatomy and physiology of the spleen? The school does not have many post doc programs. This results in D2 and D3's seeing very complex cases that would be normally sent to the post doc progs at other schools ie. you get more experience. The school is private and it's finances are in good order, unlike another school in SF :laugh:. The campus is located in a great neighborhood in one of the best cities in the world. And the year you save makes the overall cost of school manageable. Woop woop, UOP 2013! :love:

UOP is the premier dental school America, and by extension, the universe. The faculty is top-notch, and what's better, approachable. The admin is competent and helpful- amazing! - and are happy to answer your questions on the phone. This is important. A good administration won't improve your experience in dental school that much, but a bad one can make your life a living hell :mad:. The facilities are constantly updated, and top notch. The curriculum is tailored for dentists--why would you want to get extensive training on the anatomy and physiology of the spleen? The school does not have many post doc programs. This results in D2 and D3's seeing very complex cases that would be normally sent to the post doc progs at other schools ie. you get more experience. The school is private and it's finances are in good order, unlike another school in SF :laugh:. The campus is located in a great neighborhood in one of the best cities in the world. And the year you save makes the overall cost of school manageable. Woop woop, UOP 2013! :love:

Second that, class of 2013:laugh::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I think Loma Linda will be really hard to get into, even if you are Christian. They actually have preference for Seventh-Day Adventists.

This is true. Seventh-day Adventist applicants face about a 1 in 6 odd, vs the approximately 1 in 40 odds that non-Adventists face. But still, 75-80% of Adventists do not get accepted (These are direct quotations from an LLU professor who is active on the forums here - Hi, Dr Mitchell!), so it's not a free-for-all for Adventists either. Most everyone who gets in, as I would imagine is the case at any other dental school, has more or less earned his/her place there (I say most because there are the cases of well-connected but slovenly folk and the like who may have had advantages over well-deserving others).