Cali Derm due to Unique extracurricular. Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

filmMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only an M2 so forgive my relative ignorance on the subject.
I attend a mid tier medical school, not in California, but I have a strong desire to return to the state for residency.

So far my classes are going fairly well. School does not officially rank preclinical, however I know I'm at least in the top 3rd of the class due to a scholarship invitation and am currently honoring Pharm and Path. I have a couple unique extracurriculars which I think make me stand out, but also are the reason I need to return to Cali. First I'm in the midst of pre-production on a film (low budget ~200k), but we plan on shooting it in June with name actors and possibly even distribution (we have connections...)
Second I'm a fairly accomplished fashion photographer. I've been in some magazines (not Vogue/Elle, but decent ones that people in the business would know) and I was working full time as a photographer before attending medical school with clothing companies that you can find in Nordstrom/other high end department stores.

So with all that, here's my question:
California, for me, is pretty much non-negotiable. I know that seems crazy, but due to my other careers I need to be in California (I know I won't have much time, but in the film business it's critical to be able to at least show your face every once in a while). It has already been damaging enough to my reputation to be gone for 3 years of medical school (I figure 4th year aways will let me have some face time), and I can't continue that for another 4.

According to FREIDA there are 5 programs I will be able to apply to: UCI, UCLA, Harbor, USC, Kaiser.

Assuming I do well on Step I. Is SoCal derm a realistic possibility? I got invited to a long term research honors program for the duration of medical school and I would like to do my project in derm resulting in more publications. However if chances are extremely slim then I would rather focus on another specialty which is more realistic for California.

According to the Derm match guide. Serious extracurriculars make you stand out, however would my Film EC be viewed as a lack of interest in medicine? Would programs take that into consideration as a strong desire for me to be in California?

Additionally, I'm willing to take a year off starting fall 2014 to do derm research at UCLA or USC. However, I obviously wouldn't bother if I bomb step (<240) because that would be a waste of time. I would like to start approaching PIs at USC and UCLA now, and looking at research opportunities, but I don't feel it is prudent to commit to anything before I get my step score back. Should I look to do research Summer 2015 (beginning of 4th year instead)?

Sorry for the wall of text. It's a complicated situation, I think. I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldn't hurt to start asking. California is notoriously difficult to crack without connections so it would definitely be worthwhile to pursue research there

I hope you match derm. I'm tired of hearing about Rodan + Fields, and I feel you're just the sort of chap to knock them off their skin throne. Haha, I said skin throne.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.
Sorry for the lateness of my response and thanks so much for all of your responses. Yes, location in my scenario trumps all. UCSD is definitely not ideal, but I'm absolutely adding it to my list of considerations. A 3 hour drive is much better than a 5 hour plane flight.
I guess as a couple follow up questions I wanted to ask (especially if there are any USC/UCLA residents here):

1. Would these respective committees look down on my artistic aspirations? Is that something that I should mention? I feel like to someone that is from many other parts of the country a film/photo career would be interesting, however in LA film people are everywhere. Would I be looked down upon/placed at a disadvantage/have my commitment questioned?

2. By contacting researchers now I would essentially be committing myself to my year off during my 2nd/3rd year. I'm a little hesitant to do this until I get my Step score back (as I mentioned if I bomb Step 1, there's no point... right?). Would a break between 3rd/4th year be viewed in a negative light?

3. I have one California derm connection which I am trying to foster. My school is odd in that it is split into various campuses. My particular campus has very little going on in terms of Derm research. I'm attempting to work with a mentor from another campus to do some research. Hopefully I'll get accepted via this research scholarship and get a good letter of rec there. Other than that and taking a year off, how would you all recommend making connections?

Thanks again!

Hi.
Sorry for the lateness of my response and thanks so much for all of your responses. Yes, location in my scenario trumps all. UCSD is definitely not ideal, but I'm absolutely adding it to my list of considerations. A 3 hour drive is much better than a 5 hour plane flight.
I guess as a couple follow up questions I wanted to ask (especially if there are any USC/UCLA residents here):

1. Would these respective committees look down on my artistic aspirations? Is that something that I should mention? I feel like to someone that is from many other parts of the country a film/photo career would be interesting, however in LA film people are everywhere. Would I be looked down upon/placed at a disadvantage/have my commitment questioned?

2. By contacting researchers now I would essentially be committing myself to my year off during my 2nd/3rd year. I'm a little hesitant to do this until I get my Step score back (as I mentioned if I bomb Step 1, there's no point... right?). Would a break between 3rd/4th year be viewed in a negative light?

3. I have one California derm connection which I am trying to foster. My school is odd in that it is split into various campuses. My particular campus has very little going on in terms of Derm research. I'm attempting to work with a mentor from another campus to do some research. Hopefully I'll get accepted via this research scholarship and get a good letter of rec there. Other than that and taking a year off, how would you all recommend making connections?

Thanks again!

1. No. I don't think so. I think derm (like any specialty) is looking for people who have interesting angles which they want to use their medical degree. It might be more appropriate if your film career is somewhat related to medicine or derm though (no sure if it is?)

2. I wouldn't contact anyone unless you're actually interested in taking a research year. I also would think hard to yourself about your motivation for taking a research year (i.e. as part of your career, do you want to do clinical research? do you want to basic science research?). If the answer to those questions is "not really", it might hard to market the value of that year to a residency committee if you don't plan on using that experience. Also, I think this decision should be irrespective of board scores. If you're thinking derm, just make sure you're get an adequate score on practice exams before you take Step 1. If you prepare, you can certainly get "in range" for a typical derm applicant. Despite what a lot of people think, I think derm programs look for much more than Step 1 scores in order to select students who are actually genuinely interested in the field. As one of my attendings point it, "I think there are lot of people who "suddenly" become interested in dermatology after they get their Step 1 score back. I try to avoid these people."

3. Doing an away rotation during 4th year is one way to go. Some programs really value their away-rotaters as they've gone above and beyond to demonstrate they really want to go someplace. Also, just contacting program directors early and letting them know of your interest probably can't do anything to hurt. Many might even provide some personal guidance even from a cold contact.

You also have a lot of interests that seem non-medicine. Almost to the point where you'd be willing to sacrifice specialty choice for your film interests. Another thing to consider, is...is residency even right for you at all? I've heard of and know a few people in similar situations, who end up choosing a "cushier" residency only to end up cutting down on practice hours when they're out as a clinician and eventually just taking their other passion up as a full-time career. There's nothing wrong with this and certainly not applying to residency will give you much more geographic flexibility than going through the Match.

I'm reading our residency apps right now and the honest answer is probably that the experience you mentioned make very little difference. The average applicants (I'm only reading 1/9 of our pools) have over 240, AOA, honor around half of their clerkships. Get there and you still have to do research, get well written letters of recommendation, and not write a stupid (or worse, egomaniacal) personal statement. I think the bar is very very high this year.

If you want to go to Cali, spend time doing research there. Preferably at least a year.

Just my 0.02