mizzoudude

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
I am new to SDN and am sorry if I post this message twice:
I am graduating from the University of Missouri-Columbia in May ('05) with a 3.29 in bio (undergrad) with a 27 MCAT. I applied to many schools and got rejected by all. I hate Missouri's cold weather and am looking to move to Calfornia. I plan to work there for a year, as by June I will be a certified polysomnography tech...thereby working for a year and establishing residency. Scripps, Mills, USC, SFSU, CSU-Hayward are all listed as top schools in Cali....anyone have any experience with a post bacc in Cali?? I want to definately increase my MCAT score (as it is not great), slightly improve my GPA (as I know it is hard to get a GPA back up) and also show adcoms that I can do well in hard courses. Or should I also retake prereqs? I have good EC's, shadowing, and work experience (as a house orderly and neurodiagnostic tech). Please give me some advice and opinion as if I am taking the right route?

jays2cool4u

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
NW DC
Status
Podiatry Student
mizzoudude said:
I am new to SDN and am sorry if I post this message twice:
I am graduating from the University of Missouri-Columbia in May ('05) with a 3.29 in bio (undergrad) with a 27 MCAT. I applied to many schools and got rejected by all. I hate Missouri's cold weather and am looking to move to Calfornia. I plan to work there for a year, as by June I will be a certified polysomnography tech...thereby working for a year and establishing residency. Scripps, Mills, USC, SFSU, CSU-Hayward are all listed as top schools in Cali....anyone have any experience with a post bacc in Cali?? I want to definately increase my MCAT score (as it is not great), slightly improve my GPA (as I know it is hard to get a GPA back up) and also show adcoms that I can do well in hard courses. Or should I also retake prereqs? I have good EC's, shadowing, and work experience (as a house orderly and neurodiagnostic tech). Please give me some advice and opinion as if I am taking the right route?
You might want to sit tight or go east. From what I have read in the forums, establishing residency in California might not be a good idea. California is probably the most competitive state in the U.S. for med. school admission.

OP
M

mizzoudude

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Please let me know why Cali is the hardest state to get into med school is...is it because of the poplation and the sheer amount of people who apply? I really want to move out there and achieve my goals of becoming a physician. Please anyone with experience with California post bacc experience, post something. It will give me info/support/advice/etc. I am starting to work a lot and save money to move. I would appreciate any further information. Thank you all.

imrep1972

10+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
mizzoudude said:
Please let me know why Cali is the hardest state to get into med school is...is it because of the poplation and the sheer amount of people who apply? I really want to move out there and achieve my goals of becoming a physician. Please anyone with experience with California post bacc experience, post something. It will give me info/support/advice/etc. I am starting to work a lot and save money to move. I would appreciate any further information. Thank you all.
I attended a State school for my post bacc... with very few exceptions i would recommend against that (I would not go to Hayward) because they typically are looked down upon. The other schools you mentioned I do not know specifically but I have heard similar things about them.

California is the hardest state to get into med school from because there is something like 50 million people in the state and only a few schools. If you look at stats for many schools across the country that take out-of-state students, California is almost always at or near the top of the list of states students are from.

If you truly want to do med school, I would recommend getting in anywhere you can (translation, don't get hung up on post-bac and med school *in* Cali) and focus more on residency and practice in California down the road. That is when you will have more time/money to be able to enjoy where you live, anyway.

One other thing: if you plan to practice in Cali, be prepared to make less money (as a general rule) and have a higher cost of living. That is, unless you are willing to live and practice in "less desirable" parts of Cali - ie. Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto, etc. I know of Primary docs who are making as little as $70K out here, and $100K for IM/FP is considered a good income in most metro areas. Meanwhile, a house in OC *averages* $500K and is more expensive in LA or SF.

wannabedoc34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
I suggest you go to either NY, Texas or Ohio. They got tons of med schools to choose from! Stay away from California (atleast for now).