Cali programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mailee88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to meet many residents during my interview at Stanford. Wanted to see if anyone else interviewed there and had a chance to talk to them. I really like what I saw during my day there but didn't have the luxury to talk to anyone. Please let me know if you have any insight into this! Also, what do you think about a very strong community program vs. an completely academic one if you want to do a fellowship. I mean, all the big name programs like Boston and CHOP are community. So, I don't know. what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford SHmaford....You gotta go to UCLA or CHOLA!

mailee88 said:
I mean, all the big name programs like Boston and CHOP are community. So, I don't know. what do you think?

Boston and CHOP are not community, they are university-based. CHOP is University of Pennsylvania and Boston's combined program is Harvard (Boston Children's) and Boston University (BMC).

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked my Stanford interview. I think that their research is incredible (if you like that kind of thing), but that their community is also strong, since they rotate not only at Stanford, but also down in Santa Clara.

shellfish said:
Boston and CHOP are not community, they are university-based. CHOP is University of Pennsylvania and Boston's combined program is Harvard (Boston Children's) and Boston University (BMC).

Actually, CHOP is its own institution. It is not part of the University of Pennsylvania. However, they do have an "affiliation" with each other. Sort of like the community hospitals you rotate at in addition to your university hospital. Nevertheless, I would not consider CHOP a community hospital, even though it is not part of a university.

I don't know about Boston Children's, but I think they have the same set-up.

oops, my mistake! i assumed it was upenn because it's on the penn campus (i used to go to school there and volunteered at chop) and it's listed as university on freida. i assumed boston's was university-based because i used to work there and all the residents had a harvard email address.

anyway, to get the original poster's question, it seems that every residency claims (whether university or community) claims that their residents get their top choices for fellowships. the percentage of residents going into fellowship appears comparable as well.

GeneGoddess said:
I really liked my Stanford interview. I think that their research is incredible (if you like that kind of thing), but that their community is also strong, since they rotate not only at Stanford, but also down in Santa Clara.

Did you get a chance to meet some residents during lunch? How do they interact? Were they pretty happy with the program?

mailee88 said:
Did you get a chance to meet some residents during lunch? How do they interact? Were they pretty happy with the program?

I met tons of residents at morning report, at lunch, and at the social. They were all happy and friendly. I got a good feel from them.

I interviewed at 4 LA programs, but as an East Coaster, I don't know the word on the street. Can anyone give me the scoop about CHOC, CHLA, USC, UCLA.

Specifically,

CHOC- how is this program regarded? is the no uni affiliation a problem?

USC- general impressions?

UCLA- the recent merger with cedars sinai- how has this affected the residency program?

CHLA- way too much tertiary? (I like tertiary, though)

Any advice would be most appreciated.

CHOC - nice, free standing Children's Hospital, good lectures, some residents seemed happy, others seemed disgruntled, pretty busy hospital, the OC is nice

CHLA - lots of tertiary care, tons of lectures, good comradrie among residents, big program (27/class), in LA, traffic, 100% board pass rate x 5 years, attendings very nice :)

USC - a little scary from the outside, old hospital, but residents were some of the happiest, lots of hands on, high volume, nice attendings

UCLA - don't know :rolleyes:

UCLA - In terms of the merger with Cedars-Sinai I would say that it has only helped the program. It added a component of primary care that may have been lacking a little before and the teaching from Dr. Miller at C-S is supposed to be excellent! Maybe one downside is that the program is a little bigger and there is some more commuting time involved.

Anybody have any thoughts on Davis? :cool:

shellfish said:
oops, my mistake! i assumed it was upenn because it's on the penn campus (i used to go to school there and volunteered at chop) and it's listed as university on freida. i assumed boston's was university-based because i used to work there and all the residents had a harvard email address.

anyway, to get the original poster's question, it seems that every residency claims (whether university or community) claims that their residents get their top choices for fellowships. the percentage of residents going into fellowship appears comparable as well.

actually, shellfish, you are correct. CHOP and boston children's are in fact university programs. all faculty at CHOP are professors at penn med, and all faculty at boston are professors at harvard med. it's just a matter of financial logistics that they're not technically owned by penn or harvard, respectively. in CHOP's case, i suspect it's because they are financially much stronger than the rest of the penn health system, so i can imagine that they wouldn't want their finances enmeshed with those of HUP or want to cede control to them in any way. and in boston, none of the harvard hospitals is owned by harvard--they're all separate but affiliated institutions.