California controlled substances schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positivesign

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know that in some states, certain controlled substances can be placed in the higher category than the DEA schedule. My question is specific for California. Pregabalin is C-V but interestingly enough it showed up on CURES report I ran....I work on the inpatient side so actually not too familiar with CURES so forgive me if I'm tripping on this. I thought CURES report only showed C II-IV but why is pregabalin showing up? Is it C IV in California? Where do you find state-specific references? I tried reading HSC § 11057 but it did not mention pregabalin :(

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely some chains also report schedule V as required in other states. As they should anyway. Wouldn't you want to know about serial abusers of promethazine with codeine when they come in with a non-sensical Rx for Tylenol #3 for cough (no I am not ****ting you; this ancient hospitalist actually wrote for this indication one time along with an Rx for codeine/guaifenesin)

Now that I think about it I bet you $10 chains aren't reporting all butalbital-containing products

Most likely some chains also report schedule V as required in other states. As they should anyway. Wouldn't you want to know about serial abusers of promethazine with codeine when they come in with a non-sensical Rx for Tylenol #3 for cough (no I am not ****ting you; this ancient hospitalist actually wrote for this indication one time along with an Rx for codeine/guaifenesin)

Sure, in this case the information was actually helpful for ER doc to know that pt had actually ran out of med. We just happened to run it because the pt walked into ER for a Lyrica refill that he could not get from his pharmacy or the primary care. That raised red flags so the ER doc ran the report and asked me some questions so I had to run it and see it too....but I thought it was interesting because I assumed it would not show up until I ran it.

Members don't see this ad :)
HSC doesn't list non-narcotic C-V either, like Vimpat, pregabalin (those are the only ones commonly used in outpatient)

What I hate the most is that Rite Aid and many independents do NOT report prometh/codeine (C5). It drives me nuts since a pt can get it at different pharmacies all the time.