7 on 7 off schedule Pros/Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApplyIce98

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! PGY-1 Pharmacy Resident here. I'm about 2 months out from finishing my residency and wanted to know more about what it's like working a 7 on 7 off schedule! I have heard that it's really what you make out of it, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences or insight that they would like to share!

NOTE:
- Something I am worried about is how working a 7 on 7 off schedule would affect my social life and the ability to have a family down the road.
- I'm also worried about how working a 7 on 7 off schedule would affect me financially and the possibility of building a secure financial future.
- Lastly, I'm also interested in hearing about how working the overnight shift during your "On" week affects you during your "Off" week where you're probably staying awake during the day!

A little bit about me for reference!
- I'm 24, single, and have no current family obligations
- I do want to travel as I have not left the country since I was born
- I would like to maintain a general fitness schedule
- I have lots of hobbies that I would like to get back to. Wondering if that would be easier with a 7 on 7 off or a 9-5 work schedule.
- I currently have a small social network, and I'm wondering that if I'm traveling all the time how that would help or hurt me making more friends

You don't have to answer all of these questions! Any insight you have is already super helpful!

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can’t speak to a 7 on 7 off but in my interactions with pharmacists that do it and my cousins who are physicians who do it, I’ll provide some thoughts. Take it with a grain of salt as I’ve never done 7 on 7 off. This is just what I hear.

Travel: you have an entire empty week that you can go wherever you like. My cousin traveled the world this way while they were still single.

Social life: my two cousins that did 7 on 7 off as single people both used their week offs to socialize inside in the winter months (they live in a large metro area in the northeast). Both met their spouses this way.

For the ~3 years of my career I had a schedule that allowed me to travel and socialize a little bit like above. I have a 3 day work/4 days off one week and 5 day work/2 day off the other. I’d recommend enjoy your 20s, look at getting married in your early 30s. Everyone’s answer is different for marriage but I feel this worked out for me.

I’ve done 7 on 7 off for 10 years and still like it. First 5 years I was single with no kids so the off week consisted of random travel and working relief jobs and got my student loans paid off. The switch to my off week isn’t terrible, wake up at like 4-5am some days so I just stay awake all day then my sleep is back to normal. Fitness wise I work out before going into work on the first few days of my 7. The last few days of my on week I’m more energized right after work so I’ll go ahead and workout. Socially, if there’s anything I want to do during the day with friends like the lake, game, or whatever then I just sacrifice less sleep and wake up after around 4 hours of sleep. I now I have a wife and kids so it’s getting harder, I don’t work relief anymore since I paid off my loans and it’s getting harder to flip back and forth.

I’m a 7 on 7 off-er in retail doing overnights mostly, picking up shifts (daytime and night time) when I feel like it…

Pros: flexibility & adaptability...like others have mentioned the 7 day off cycle can allow you to socialize, travel, focus on fitness, earn more money by working more/side hustle if into that. Higher pay, overnight differential is nice. One of the biggest advantages for me personally is avoiding politics, micromanagement, and peace/quiet (I’m definitely an introvert)

Cons: can be difficult on some stamina-wise switching sleep schedules frequently & overall adapting to the nighttime lifestyle (annoyances like having to know when places open and close, knowing when to schedule errands). Initial startup/setup costs can be high (lifestyle is easier if you own a home, can do laundry whenever, can make a home gym, setup a bedroom which is friendly/designed to sleep during daytime with black out blinds/proper air conditioning/cooling for hotter months)

Maintaining fitness goals on work weeks is tough and some compromise is required (I cut back with 30-40 minute sessions on work weeks and allow myself to focus on off weeks doing 2+ hours exercise/day…personally I love it because it makes lifting weights feel that much more special after 20+ years of lifting)

being single is a huge advantage…most with families, relationships tend to struggle greatly from my experiences

feel free to DM me if you have any personal questions about lifestyle of 7-on, 7-off and overnight lifestyle (close to a decade experience with now)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve done it few times in my career, but no longer than an year at a time
My thoughts
Pros
1. You have 7 days off, which allows you to do many things that are typically difficult to do when you have a full time job (travels, artistic projects, binge playing video games, etc.)
2. You can pick up a part-time job on your off week. I’ve personally never done it, but I know many pharmacists who do this. Work a few shifts on your week off to make extra money

Cons
1. Very little flexibility on your week on. Obviously it’s very difficult to get a shift covered on overnights, so if you are kind of person who has lots of personal commitments, then it may not work
2. Overall negative effect to your body. While I never felt/got sick from doing overnights, science has shown that working overnights is not good for your body, especially if you are planning to do it for an extended period of time

Reactions: 1 user
I am 63yo, Pharm.D. + PGY-1 for 37 yrs, been doing 7/7 for over 28 years, days, evenings, and nights. This schedule was what got me into hospital. Back when your week was Mon-Sun, with OT kicking in on Fridays! All the above comments are so true.
A few things were left off;
7/7 is mostly relegated to Staffing, if you want Clinical, that would be Mon-Fri, + 4th weekend deal.
No chance of advancement within the pharmacy, if you planning on that.
Now most 7/7 are relegated to overnights (my experience chasing 7/7) the unicorn 7am to 7pm is gone, or if you find one, will go away soon.
Social life, I wouldn't know, got married 4th year of Pharmacy school.
Family life, raised 3 kids, did all the dad things, but you need a stay at home wife. She would have to do more of your share. It would definitely not be fair to the kids if you both work.
Health: 7/7 overnights does take a toll. Your circadian rhythm will always be way off. Your body will never " get used to" sleeping days, don't let anyone tell you differently.
longterm, burning the candle at both ends will burn you out. I know many pharmacists who have worked 7/7 nights, and tried to keep up with daily activities with "normal" people!
Also working every other weekend sucks.

I've been working 7 on/7off for 4 years. I loved it. So much free time during the week off that I can work at my indy store or travel and when I take a week off it turns into 3 weeks off so that is really good for international travel.

I'm being forced to switch to 11pm-7am 4 days a week and every other weekend. (management doesn't want to pay overtime to cover our vacations apparently). I'm not looking forward to the change at all, I stayed on overnights instead of moving to days/evenings because of the 7 days off. Now, I don't really have the ability to staff my indy or go away traveling every week and definitely no more automatic 3 week vacation.

I've been working 7 on/7off for 4 years. I loved it. So much free time during the week off that I can work at my indy store or travel and when I take a week off it turns into 3 weeks off so that is really good for international travel.

I'm being forced to switch to 11pm-7am 4 days a week and every other weekend. (management doesn't want to pay overtime to cover our vacations apparently). I'm not looking forward to the change at all, I stayed on overnights instead of moving to days/evenings because of the 7 days off. Now, I don't really have the ability to staff my indy or go away traveling every week and definitely no more automatic 3 week vacation.
With an abundance of pharmacist candidates, most every employer is moving away from 7/7. After all why would they do anything that would benefit the employee. I remember a very honest hospital pharmacy manager telling me, 20 years ago, that if it was up to her, all of the pharmacist would work 8 hrs a day. This was back when most of us, and techs too, had 7/7.

yeah forgot to mention that having a good relationship with your opposite/partner is pretty crucial for getting you coverage for things like sick time and covering each others vacation (realistically, daytime typically are not willing to cover overnights...the few who do almost immediately regret it after one shift after he/she realizes how nice it is to have staff & delegate). Covering vacation for your opposite/partner is a win-win strategy for picking up some more cash too

Yes, 7-on, 7-off does take tons of commitment/responsibility (not calling out on whims & entitlement BS). NoT fOr PhArMaCy PrInCeSseS!

I love 7on/7off. The week off is the best. You only work half the year, and if you go on vacation you get 3 weeks off in a row! But it's not completely a week off cause you need a day or two to adjust. Usually after my last shift I take a short nap in the morning then wake up for the afternoon, and fall asleep at normal hours. When I have to work, I only nap 1-2 hours before my first shift and that can be rough. Sometimes I don't even sleep before my first shift cause I'm not tired, so I end up staying up 24 hours and then crash when I get home.

It's nice having a weekday off to do errands and stuff. You avoid the huge crowds at places like Costco. You can go to doctor/dentist appointments without using PTO. This can also be kinda lonely cause everyone's at work during the day. Before kids I had so much free time I didn't know what to do. I would travel a lot, visit friends, go to the gym, etc. I picked up some dayshifts and worked a per diem job to help pay off student loans, but that got old quick.

Now that I have kids I never pick up any extra. I'd rather spend time at home with them. If you have kids with 7on7off and your spouse works, you might have to pay for full time daycare even though they only go every other week. Or if you get a nanny then it'll be hard to find one who is willing to do the every other week schedule. If the grandparents help then you don't need to worry about that.

Worst things are working every other weekend and long term health. I still try to make it to social events on my work week if they're in the afternoon or early evening. Sometimes I don't sleep much to spend time with the kids, like 3-4 hours on my work nights. I know it's unhealthy but they're only young once.

With an abundance of pharmacist candidates, most every employer is moving away from 7/7. After all why would they do anything that would benefit the employee. I remember a very honest hospital pharmacy manager telling me, 20 years ago, that if it was up to her, all of the pharmacist would work 8 hrs a day. This was back when most of us, and techs too, had 7/7.

So what's the incentive to work overnights then? Just the 10% differential? When everyone is 8 hours a day, overnight just becomes a rite of passage to get to day shift instead of being a niche choice for some pharmacists who are willing to put up with working nights in exchange for the long time off.

Reactions: 1 users
When your day shift is pretty much toxic, it's much easier to work nights. Fewer employees. Much less drama. No management to worry about. I'll NEVER go back to day shift. I was doing 7 on 7 off. Had its pros and cons. But the other night pharmacist went on vacation and never came back, That was the end of 7 on 7 off as no one wants to do it. So now I'm (4) 10 hour days. No weekends. No holidays.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

So wait, you're working 32 hours a week overnight now then instead of 35. Are you still getting paid 40 hours?

Cause if not, that sounds god awful.

Members don't see this ad :)
So wait, you're working 32 hours a week overnight now then instead of 35. Are you still getting paid 40 hours?

Cause if not, that sounds god awful.

It's being changed to 11pm-7am (4 weekdays a week) and every other weekend. Works out to 75 hours biweekly. 10% differential on top. That's it, that's the only perk other than less work to do compared to day shift and less traffic to get to work.

• Hmm
When your day shift is pretty much toxic, it's much easier to work nights. Fewer employees. Much less drama. No management to worry about. I'll NEVER go back to day shift. I was doing 7 on 7 off. Had its pros and cons. But the other night pharmacist went on vacation and never came back, That was the end of 7 on 7 off as no one wants to do it. So now I'm (4) 10 hour days. No weekends. No holidays.

Who covers the other 3 nights?

I started 7 on 7 off at my previous hospital then went to days at my current hospital for 5 years and chose to move back to 7 on 7 off. It really boils down to getting a sleep schedule down that maximizes your 7 on part. I get off at 7:30 am and usually go to the gym/run errands etc until about noon. Then I go to bed, wake up at 8 pm and at work at 9:30 pm. Having only 2 days off on the weekend goes by in the blink of an eye. But 7 on 7 off, when you take a week off its really three weeks off so international trips are much easier. Plus it typically comes with much better pay.

Reactions: 2 users
Who covers the other 3 nights?
The daytime pharmacists rotate through those other three days. We have enough other pharmacists that they only have to take a turn every 5 weeks or so.... They also are asked to volunteer to cover night shift vacations..... Their thinking is if that if they lose me, they all go back to having to be on call, which apparently sucked for them. So they suck it up and pitch in.

Make sure you look into whether you earn pto.

I’ve recently learned that there are hospitals where you don’t - they just count the 7off as vacation.

That is ridiculous! You’re still working full time and its their responsibility to provide you time off.

• Wow

I’ve recently learned that there are hospitals where you don’t - they just count the 7off as vacation.

That is ridiculous! You’re still working full time and its their responsibility to provide you time off.

Wtf, that's messed up.

And for some you accrue PTO, but it is contingent on your partner covering your shifts...

• Wow
That sounds terrible. So basically if one person were to take a week off, the other would work three weeks straight…

Would it be 1.5x pay? That wouldn't be so terrible if you don't mind working that much.

That sounds terrible. So basically if one person were to take a week off, the other would work three weeks straight…
That’s how it goes usually…once my partner had to take an emergency trip across the world (family related emergency). I ended up working 12 hours/night for a month straight…good $$$, bad work life balance for a while
I’ve had to do month straight stints a few times now for various reasons

• Wow

Allina in MN works that way, their union is so stupid, lol.

Actually, that's part of the "exempt" issues for the FLSA. There is absolutely no requirement at the federal level for an exempt position to provide you with PTO or sick leave. That's why several states, even Red ones, mandate it.

From a management standpoint, if you really need reliable personnel in shifts, you do 7/7 even if it doesn't make economic sense. The idiots who tried to do a 8 hour overnight found themselves saddled with outrageous overtime and Board complaints quickly due to how the regulations work in most states operate for involuntary night work.

Op, if you have no kids, it's pretty much up to you. If you want a partner or kids, it's not an easy lifestyle and the costs usually outweigh the benefits (unless you work two different 7/7's to never be home like some of my colleagues do).

In AZ, I'm curious if the Yuma/JC Lincoln overnight pharmacist dropped dead yet? He did a double 7/7, one in Deer Valley and the other in Yuma for 25 years at the time I knew him.

• Wow
In AZ, I'm curious if the Yuma/JC Lincoln overnight pharmacist dropped dead yet? He did a double 7/7, one in Deer Valley and the other in Yuma for 25 years at the time I knew him.
Wtf, he had no life?

That's not exactly close... Did he have a house in each city?

That's not exactly close... Did he have a house in each city?
No, he had a house in Yuma and a pied-a-terre a short walk from JC Lincoln. He left his family every other week.

Wtf, he had no life?

It was my understanding that he married badly, and it was his way of keeping himself out of the house. I met his wife and his two daughters several times, and I completely agree with the assessment. He was one of the most competent and efficient pharmacists I ever knew, I learned quite a bit from him professionally that I still teach some of his techniques in practical today. Amazingly, his daughters turned out well both on a personal and professional basis.

I think he was the fourth highest paid pharmacist in the state at the time (something like $210k or so in 2004 when the average retail salary was $43/hour and the average hospital was $34/hour in the area), because hospital paid about 25% less than retail and the three above him were retail maniacs. It was sustainable for him.

Allina in MN works that way, their union is so stupid, lol.

Actually, that's part of the "exempt" issues for the FLSA. There is absolutely no requirement at the federal level for an exempt position to provide you with PTO or sick leave. That's why several states, even Red ones, mandate it.

From a management standpoint, if you really need reliable personnel in shifts, you do 7/7 even if it doesn't make economic sense. The idiots who tried to do a 8 hour overnight found themselves saddled with outrageous overtime and Board complaints quickly due to how the regulations work in most states operate for involuntary night work.

Op, if you have no kids, it's pretty much up to you. If you want a partner or kids, it's not an easy lifestyle and the costs usually outweigh the benefits (unless you work two different 7/7's to never be home like some of my colleagues do).

You know what it seems like to me. Ever since our original director got a promotion and our pharmacy manager has been made the junior director, there have been changes here and there happening, first on the day shift with leaving minimal people working in central and creating tasks for pharmacists to go upstairs, etc. I personally think the pharmacy budget is tied to the director's annual bonus and overtime probably fks their budget.

There is not that many cons IMO. The only con is that you are not off every weekend.

I am a hospitalist who works 7 on/off (7am to 7pm on my contract). My job might not be like a pharmacist job as far as flexibility, but having a whole week off allows me to do a lot. I used to do the M-F 8am-5p when I was a RN and there is no way in hell I would work that kind of shift again.

It helps also that I am home by 4:30 pm on 3 out of these 7 days and ~6:15 pm on the other 4 days.

I have a family and my spouse who is a stay at home spouse loves my schedule

Last edited:
There is not that many cons IMO. The only con is that you are not off every weekend.

I am a hospitalist who works 7 on/off (7am to 7pm on my contract). My job might not be like a pharmacist job as far as flexibility, but having a whole week off allows me to do a lot. I used to do the M-F 8am-5p when I was a RN and there is no way in hell I would work that kind of shift again.

It helps also that I am home by 4:30 pm on 3 out of these 7 days and ~6:15 pm on the other 4 days.

I have a family and my spouse who is a stay at home spouse loves my schedule

In the hospital world, if you aren't in management, you're gonna be working every other weekend anyway. Becuase of that, 7 on/7 off is much better than the 8 hour day schedule of Monday-Friday (pick one day off) then work the weekend, then Monday-Friday (pick one day off) and off that weekend. And usually it is impossible to get a 3 day weekend on this schedule by taking off the Friday before your weekend off or the Monday after your weekend off. One of the schedules they are suggesting to me is Monday-Thursday, off Friday, work the weekend, off Monday, Tuesday-Friday. It's terrible IMO.

In the hospital world, if you aren't in management, you're gonna be working every other weekend anyway. Becuase of that, 7 on/7 off is much better than the 8 hour day schedule of Monday-Friday (pick one day off) then work the weekend, then Monday-Friday (pick one day off) and off that weekend. And usually it is impossible to get a 3 day weekend on this schedule by taking off the Friday before your weekend off or the Monday after your weekend off. One of the schedules they are suggesting to me is Monday-Thursday, off Friday, work the weekend, off Monday, Tuesday-Friday. It's terrible IMO.
If shifts are that way, I don't understand why wouldn't anyone go for the 7 on/off.

Yeah if they make it unfair or unpleasant, just don't do it. I can't imagine people actually agreeing to work some of these situations (like no PTO or only if you cover your partner's shift, etc.). Who would agree to that?

If shifts are that way, I don't understand why wouldn't anyone go for the 7 on/off.

That's the whole thing. We're already 7 on/7 off and we don't want to switch to this stupid schedule but management thinks this schedule will be better off for them because it will be easier to cover our vacations. Most days will be 2 rph and 3 rph on some days. So they think that if one of us goes on vacation, they don't even have to cover the shift, they'll just operate 1 short for that week because it honestly can be done with 1 rph, and it has been done with 1 rph for many years.

Once and if me and the other 7 on/7 off guy leave, the shift is gonna turn into a ****show. They will have to hire new people, take 3 months training them, cover the shift with people from the afternoon crew, therefore forcing overtime and then because it's a ****ty schedule, the overnight shift is just gonna become something people do to get their foot in the door instead of being something people stay long term. The other 7 on guy has been here over 10 years. I was seeing myself working here for the next 20 years but now I'm already looking for other options.

I asked the union if me and the other overnight guys should threaten to quit at all together. They said we can but to be prepared for them to call the bluff. That's one thing about this union that I dislike. They provide great benefits like medical, dental, tuition reimbursement, and pension but when it comes to playing hardball with management, they aren't good. On top of that, I don't think the union likes 7 on/7off. They say that if you work more than 37.5 hours in seven days, then that needs to be paid overtime, regardless if you are working 0 hours the next week, so it could be that management is like, **** it we aren't paying 37.5 hours in overtime every week.

Last edited:
I'd certainly threaten. If you simply lie down and take it who know how many other ways they can come up with to creatively screw you over? I've always done things from the perspective of "there has to be something in it for me". More, $$$, more time off, more convenient, etc. I treat myself like a commodity. If my employer wants to lose my competence and experience, they deserve what comes next.

That's the whole thing. We're already 7 on/7 off and we don't want to switch to this stupid schedule but management thinks this schedule will be better off for them because it will be easier to cover our vacations. Most days will be 2 rph and 3 rph on some days. So they think that if one of us goes on vacation, they don't even have to cover the shift, they'll just operate 1 short for that week because it honestly can be done with 1 rph, and it has been done with 1 rph for many years.

Once and if me and the other 7 on/7 off guy leave, the shift is gonna turn into a ****show. They will have to hire new people, take 3 months training them, cover the shift with people from the afternoon crew, therefore forcing overtime and then because it's a ****ty schedule, the overnight shift is just gonna become something people do to get their foot in the door instead of being something people stay long term. The other 7 on guy has been here over 10 years. I was seeing myself working here for the next 20 years but now I'm already looking for other options.

I asked the union if me and the other overnight guys should threaten to quit at all together. They said we can but to be prepared for them to call the bluff. That's one thing about this union that I dislike. They provide great benefits like medical, dental, tuition reimbursement, and pension but when it comes to playing hardball with management, they aren't good. On top of that, I don't think the union likes 7 on/7off. They say that if you work more than 37.5 hours in seven days, then that needs to be paid overtime, regardless if you are working 0 hours the next week, so it could be that management is like, **** it we aren't paying 37.5 hours in overtime every week.
Is it easy to find a 7 on/off as a pharmacist?

That is the default setting for hospital medicine so almost all hospitalist jobs are 7 on/off. I would say the majority of them don't give PTO or vacation pay.

• Sad
When I interviewed for my overnight shift, they received many applications and interviewed 5-6 others. This was a few years ago. So I'd say it's easy to replace an overnight pharmacist.

That is the default setting for hospital medicine so almost all hospitalist jobs are 7 on/off. I would say the majority of them don't give PTO or vacation pay.
Having been a Hospital Pharmacist for about 27 of my 37 years, and having chased 7 on / 7 off for 3 decades, I can tell you no two hospitals approach this shift the same way. My experience is only here in Georgia, but 4 different large hospital systems. The basis of all the variants on 7/7 is supply and demand. Management structures these shifts based on how easily they can get pharmacist. Thirty years ago, 7/7 was readily available, offered at very favorable schedules. There was even a Baylor Plan (none of you yung'uns have ever heard of this) where a pharmacist would work 2 X 16 hr shifts (32hrs) on Sat-Sun and get paid as full time. That is 2 days on, 5 days off!!!!
Having chased 7/7, day-shift is almost non-existent. Gone because of an abundance of R.Ph.s willing to do anything for a hospital job. My last job, 2013-2020 was 7/7 from 7am to 6:30 pm. Then Covid happened, an over-supply of Pharmacist, and I was told we would have 10hr shifts X 4 days.
The exact thing happened at my previous job, going to 10hr and then to 8hr shifts.
So I took off, became a Travel Pharmacist, at an ALL-Covid Hospital, 7/7. Covid exited, I had a tough time finding 7/7 in a large market like Metro Atlanta. Finally got a job 7/7 overnights.
Working overnights isn't for everyone, it takes a particular skill set and mind set. Everyone thinks it's easy transition from days, it isn't.

Having been a Hospital Pharmacist for about 27 of my 37 years, and having chased 7 on / 7 off for 3 decades, I can tell you no two hospitals approach this shift the same way. My experience is only here in Georgia, but 4 different large hospital systems. The basis of all the variants on 7/7 is supply and demand. Management structures these shifts based on how easily they can get pharmacist. Thirty years ago, 7/7 was readily available, offered at very favorable schedules. There was even a Baylor Plan (none of you yung'uns have ever heard of this) where a pharmacist would work 2 X 16 hr shifts (32hrs) on Sat-Sun and get paid as full time. That is 2 days on, 5 days off!!!!
Having chased 7/7, day-shift is almost non-existent. Gone because of an abundance of R.Ph.s willing to do anything for a hospital job. My last job, 2013-2020 was 7/7 from 7am to 6:30 pm. Then Covid happened, an over-supply of Pharmacist, and I was told we would have 10hr shifts X 4 days.
The exact thing happened at my previous job, going to 10hr and then to 8hr shifts.
So I took off, became a Travel Pharmacist, at an ALL-Covid Hospital, 7/7. Covid exited, I had a tough time finding 7/7 in a large market like Metro Atlanta. Finally got a job 7/7 overnights.
Working overnights isn't for everyone, it takes a particular skill set and mind set. Everyone thinks it's easy transition from days, it isn't.
That 7 on/off (7a-7pm) hospitalist job is godsend IMO. I think it's a much better schedule for even people with a family, though some may disagree.

Wow you are doing overnights at your age! I don't think I can handle it in my 40s.

Wow you are doing overnights at your age! I don't think I can handle it in my 40s.
Hey, you are only as old as you feel, AND I feel like a 92yo!
Seriously, I keep in real good shape, I walk 50 miles a week. I play tennis regularly. But you are right, overnights does take a toll out on your system. Definitely not optimum, I am looking to give up 7/7 and go days. I only have about 4 years left to full retirement age. Finding a regular hours job is much harder at my age.

Not so much in my area. Most hospital pharmacies in my area are union and the union demands overtime for all hours above 37.5 hours/week so the hospitals get rid of 7 on/7 off to avoid paying overtime.

We do get PTO and vacation pay.

I don't know if its easier to transition from overnight to days though. I cannot deal with the politics, rules and drama of day shift.

Really? You think you will stop working overnights when you are in your 40’s? I am 39 now, have been doing overnights for 15 years and have been contemplating days but the day shifts suck too and i think overnights are overall better.

Not so much in my area. Most hospital pharmacies in my area are union and the union demands overtime for all hours above 37.5 hours/week so the hospitals get rid of 7 on/7 off to avoid paying overtime.

We do get PTO and vacation pay.
Our hospital got around this by starting the 7 on rotation on Wednesday. So it's 3 days on 1 week, then 4 days on the other week.

Really? You think you will stop working overnights when you are in your 40’s? I am 39 now, have been doing overnights for 15 years and have been contemplating days but the day shifts suck too and i think overnights are overall better.

I'm not sure. I've been getting tired lately. Can't do this forever.

I'm not sure. I've been getting tired lately. Can't do this forever.
Forever, is a very negative way to look at working our profession. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. There is a beginning, and there is an end, that has been my attitude about work. I don't live to work, I work to live.
I can keep saying this BS forever!!!!