California DEA process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowwhat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping some one here could help me with the DEA process in California. I currently have my personal DEA number as I am moonlighting during residency. The DEA says that once I officially move to California to give them a call and they will update my DEA number to reflect my new location in California. No need for a new application or fee. I hope this is true.

My problem is that in order to get credentialed at the hospital I will be working at I need to have a California DEA which means I have to wait until July when I can finally switch my DEA number to a California location. So probably another 6-8 weeks until I am credentialed. Which means wont be able to start until maybe September? As much as I would love a 2 month vacation I really do need the income and ability to start working in July/August.

Any one else had similar problems? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping some one here could help me with the DEA process in California. I currently have my personal DEA number as I am moonlighting during residency. The DEA says that once I officially move to California to give them a call and they will update my DEA number to reflect my new location in California. No need for a new application or fee. I hope this is true.

My problem is that in order to get credentialed at the hospital I will be working at I need to have a California DEA which means I have to wait until July when I can finally switch my DEA number to a California location. So probably another 6-8 weeks until I am credentialed. Which means wont be able to start until maybe September? As much as I would love a 2 month vacation I really do need the income and ability to start working in July/August.

Any one else had similar problems? Any advice would be much appreciated.

You can apply for a second DEA number tied to California. You'll have to pay the registration fee, but it's worth it, instead of having lost income over a 2 month period.

The CA license took much longer. Once license came through, the DEA switch was virtually immediate. Got the head ED administrator from my hospital to call the DEA people. Didn't have another problem after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply for a second DEA number tied to California. You'll have to pay the registration fee, but it's worth it, instead of having lost income over a 2 month period.

I guess I have to bite the bullet then. Was hoping there would be another way around this. Seems like the DEA knows we cant get credentialed immediately and rather than waiting 2 months would be willing to drop another $600 bucks. Frustrating.

Can I apply for DEA before getting a job or I must have a employer to get DEA license? Also other than dental license and DEA what other licenase i would need in CA? Please help.

Can I apply for DEA before getting a job or I must have a employer to get DEA license? Also other than dental license and DEA what other licenase i would need in CA? Please help.

No, you don't need an employer to get a DEA. Otherwise there wouldn't be self employed physicians in CA.

Also, none of us are dentists, so I don't know the rest of your question.