• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Expiring DEA

msgsk

Feb 16, 2014
Quick question for others who have gone through this: I moved states. I had to get another DEA because you have to have one for each state you practice in. My prior state's DEA is about to expire. I have no intent on practicing there any longer and have let my license expire as well. Do I need to do anything with this or just let it naturally expire without any intervention on my part? Just want to make sure there's no disruption to my current practice/DEA...

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
When moving to a new state, I've always kept the federal DEA current and let the old state DEAs expire. If you're not going to prescribe ever again in your former states, I don't know why you'd have to do anything but let them expire.

NYEMMED

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2010
  1. Attending Physician
Similar question:

I do locums. I have to renew a DEA for a state I’m currently not practing in but may in the future.
In the renewal you have to put in a practice location in that state, but I currently don’t have one... So is it not renewable until I do locums there again?

About the Ads

msgsk

Feb 16, 2014
I’m aware you can transfer an existing DEA but at the time I was practicing in two states. Now I won’t be. I have a DEA for the state I need. Should I just let the other one expire naturally or do I need to contact anyone or do anything to make sure it’s cancellation doesn’t restrict practice in my current state.

And I’m not a dispenser. I work in an ER like (almost) everyone else here. I’m referring to the DEA license you have to get to work in any state just like the state license.

Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
I’m aware you can transfer an existing DEA but at the time I was practicing in two states. Now I won’t be. I have a DEA for the state I need. Should I just let the other one expire naturally or do I need to contact anyone or do anything to make sure it’s cancellation doesn’t restrict practice in my current state.

And I’m not a dispenser. I work in an ER like (almost) everyone else here. I’m referring to the DEA license you have to get to work in any state just like the state license.
Not every state has one. Also, if you are writing scripts, you're a dispenser.

When you keep saying "DEA", it is not clear.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.