California Dental Post-Bacc '08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShowMeYourGrill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here apply for the dental Post-Bacc this year or in previous years? or anyother school?

I was wondering how it was like, and how was the interview process. Did the program take you into the dental school once you completed the post-bacc?

(sorry if this is a repost, I've searched and read all the other posts, can't seem to find the direct answers in the other posts)

Members don't see this ad.

hi!!

I only know of 4 dental post bacs, UCSF, UCLA, USC and loma linda.

They are all very different!
Ucla makes you wait a years before u can apply to dental school and you dont need to be a previous applicant. On the other hand, you do take classes with dental students, they pay for you classes, and get to go to a conference to present your research
USC: you dont have to wait a year and they usually accepted their postbacs for the upcoming cycle although its not guaranteed. They wont pay for all of your classes. You are able to hold a job while in the program. It is the most relax of all the postbac programs.
Loma Linda: They hold spots for their postbacs and biodents for their upcoming class but not for all of them. You get a free computer and free housing. They pay for your classes but on the other hand, you need to know someone in order to get in.
UCSF: You have to pay for you own classes and preference is given to students who had interview but had been rejected before or so they claim.

I hope that helps!!1

Many of the CSU's have informal post-bac programs, allowing one to take many upper division/grad science classes for cheap.

No interviews necessary, and fairly easy to get admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hysteria24,

Which CSU's? Do you know if Sonoma State has one?

UC Berkeley Extension also has an evening post-bacc program.

Hey "bitterness"

You seem to know about all of this so much more than me. I have done all that you said. I called up all the schools and talked to them, they didn't go much into detail on the rules and scheduling. I just got mailed the apps and applied to UCLA, USC, and Loma Linda.

I just received an interview offer from UCLA. Which program did you get into? Do you have an interview tips? I just got a date confirm and no other detail about the interview process.

Regardless, I hope one of these programs takes me in.

and for anyone else. UCSF has their dental post-bac info online, i think they're joint with UOP. The 3 in So. Cal I had to call directly to get information.

Hey there!

that was pretty quick! They make it seem harder than it is.
I cannot tell you that much about the interview process, I know for a fact that at the UCLA interview its the deans and proffessor (or somebody important) that interviews you.
If you have any deficiencies in your transcript just be prepare to have an good excuse for them. I have heard bad stories during the interview process regardless they got in. The fact that u just called and they offer you an interview means they dont have as many applicants which is good!

The coordinator at UCLA is a really cool guy he will do anything to help u.

Good luck!!!

so I was just PMed a question.
[.....he/she told me to call up UCLA and inquire about the post bac program. It sounds like you've already done that. I wanted to get your advice about calling them. Well, when you called, did you know what specific programs to ask about? And would you mind telling me about the applications that were sent to you....]

here's my reply if others were having the same question:

np, it's very relaxed, you just call up UCLA SOD and then tell them you would like infromation about their dental post-bac program. then they transfer you to the Program Representative, and thats it. you can only get the application from talking to them, i think.

app was 11pgs long. same stuff as AADSAS, essays, statement of intent, LOR's (2), transcripts from college and HS. and thats it. Deadline was this past April 11th, so you won't be able to get a new app anytime soon.

Bitterness,

I called last month and had to quickly get the app. and all the requirements needed together, and sent it off a week ago before deadline.

can you clarify about the 1yr wait? so I can't apply to the 2009 cycle while in the program? I would have to wait for the 2010 cycle? and then since taking classes with the 2012 class, would the posb-bac graduated just be bumped to 2nd yr with that class b/c of the 1yr hold out, (if I understood it correctly).

hey!

Nope, your acceptance in the UCLA postbac program doesnt guaranteed a space in the UCLA Dental program. They do make you wait a year, so if you are a postbac 09 you will apply at the end of your postbac for dental application cycle 10. They do that because they want that all the classes and research that you have done is included in your application and they also, write letters of recommendations for you. This program is definitely worth it if your GPA very weak and waiting an extra year wont kill you.

Is the UCLA program called "rap"? I thought that was for premeds?

I don't think this one was called "rap", this one seems to be straight dental and no premed.

Hey, seems like the interview process is going at UCLA. did you hear from USC or Loma Linda?

Also, does anyone know how many ppl they are going to interview and how many people they will accept into the program at UCLA.