This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zwitter_ion

Reaction score
Hello! I've applied for the 2023 dental school cycle and got waitlisted. I'm trying to figure out what I should do if I don't make it in, and what I heard is that some reapply after doing post-bacc. I wanted to ask what should reapplicants do to prepare for the next cycle? Would the best option be to apply to a science-related grad program, continue with undergrad courses, or dental work experience? Any insight is appreciated!

Date of submission: 8/25/2022
Overall GPA: 3.83
Science GPA: 3.76
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.43
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

Second Attempt (10/14/22):
AA: 26
Biology: 27
GC: 28
OC: 23
PAT: 20
QR 23
RC: 28
Survey of Natural Sciences: 26

State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended: UT Austin
Major: Nutrition BSA
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
Family Dentistry- 64 hrs
Endodontics- 30 hrs
Pediatrics- 26 hrs

Volunteering Experience:
Texas Predental Society- 70 hrs
Park Manor Nursing and Rehab- 30 hrs
Mu Delta Alpha Community Service- 62 hours
Letters Against Depression- 72 hours
UT Farm Stand- 21 hrs

Employment:
Freshman Research Initiative Peer Mentor (1/22-6/22), Medical Scribe (4/23-present)
Research: FRI Practical Sensors. Presented at research forum (4/22/22)
Ice cream for anemia. Presented at Interprofessional Health Showcase (4/29/22)
Molecular mechcanisms of pulmonary injury.
Other Extracurriculars: Texas Pre-Dental Society, Mu Delta Alpha, Longhorn Gaming, Women in Gaming
Leadership: MDA Public Relations Director, Mental Health Ambassador, Public Relations Director for Longhorn Gaming
Relevant Honors or Awards: Presidents Honor Roll (2/01/20)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
First DAT attempt
AA: 21
Biology: 22
GC: 21
OC: 17
PAT: 22
QR 20
RC: 26
Survey of Natural Sciences: 20

Was a little shy and timid during interviews.

School list:
UT Health at San Antonio School of Dentistry
UT Health at Houston School of Dentistry (waitlisted)
Texas A&M School of Dentistry
Woody L. Hunt School of Dental Medicine (rejected)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would need a better idea of your app to see if there were any red flags you didn’t notice. Would you mind filling out a formal WAMCs and re-edit this post or reply to this comment with the post. There could be a multitude of things about your app and we aren’t getting the full picture to give you good advice.

No need to go on unnecessary goose chases of raising your GPA if that isn’t the problem after all

Reactions: 1 users
Would need a better idea of your app to see if there were any red flags you didn’t notice. Would you mind filling out a formal WAMCs and re-edit this post or reply to this comment with the post. There could be a multitude of things about your app and we aren’t getting the full picture to give you good advice.

No need to go on unnecessary goose chases of raising your GPA if that isn’t the problem after all
this^

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Gotcha, it's my first post so forgive if I forget to format the post correctly.

Hello! I've applied for the 2023 dental school cycle and got waitlisted. I'm trying to figure out what I should do if I don't make it in, and what I heard is that some reapply after doing post-bacc. I wanted to ask what should reapplicants do to prepare for the next cycle? Would the best option be to apply to a science-related grad program, continue with undergrad courses, or dental work experience? Any insight is appreciated!

Date of submission: 8/25/2022
Overall GPA: 3.83
Science GPA: 3.76
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.43
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

Second Attempt (10/14/22):
AA: 26
Biology: 27
GC: 28
OC: 23
PAT: 20
QR 23
RC: 28
Survey of Natural Sciences: 26

State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended: UT Austin
Major: Nutrition BSA
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
Family Dentistry- 64 hrs
Endodontics- 30 hrs
Pediatrics- 26 hrs

Volunteering Experience:
Texas Predental Society- 70 hrs
Park Manor Nursing and Rehab- 30 hrs
Mu Delta Alpha Community Service- 62 hours
Letters Against Depression- 72 hours
UT Farm Stand- 21 hrs

Employment:
Freshman Research Initiative Peer Mentor (1/22-6/22), Medical Scribe (4/23-present)
Research: FRI Practical Sensors. Presented at research forum (4/22/22)
Ice cream for anemia. Presented at Interprofessional Health Showcase (4/29/22)
Molecular mechcanisms of pulmonary injury.
Other Extracurriculars: Texas Pre-Dental Society, Mu Delta Alpha, Longhorn Gaming, Women in Gaming
Leadership: MDA Public Relations Director, Mental Health Ambassador, Public Relations Director for Longhorn Gaming
Relevant Honors or Awards: Presidents Honor Roll (2/01/20)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
First DAT attempt
AA: 21
Biology: 22
GC: 21
OC: 17
PAT: 22
QR 20
RC: 26
Survey of Natural Sciences: 20

Was a little shy and timid during interviews.

School list:
UT Health at San Antonio School of Dentistry
UT Health at Houston School of Dentistry (waitlisted)
Texas A&M School of Dentistry
Woody L. Hunt School of Dental Medicine (rejected)
your second dat is awesome!
apply early and then practice on your interviewing skills

you may want to apply to some OOS schools that offer IS tuition after the first year
because, as you know, it is VERY tough to get into texas schools

you probably would have gotten into schools this year if you had a better list

Gotcha, it's my first post so forgive if I forget to format the post correctly.
no need to apologize for being new
your post is entirely different when you include all the info...

Only thing that stands out to me is the medical scribe portion which makes me think you still thought about pursuing medicine before dentistry, which adcoms could be weary about. But considering you got a couple interviews, then it's most likely your interviewing skills.

Absolutely do not need to do a post-bacc or retake DAT. You need to apply to more schools, keep the texas schools on your list, and apply regionally. Tennessee, Alabama, Creighton, UF. You could stop at 8 schools, but 4 is a risk since there's not a lot of room for error.

Use your schools resources for mock interviews, I'd imagine UT to have some type of place for that. Working on your reapplication while you wait, I would get some more hours volunteering with the less fortunate: food bank, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, etc...

Overall app is solid, just think you have to work on your interviews. Good luck this cycle!

Metrics-wise, especially for Texas, you should be fine. Can you get feedback before sending in a new TMDSAS? I suspect it's your interviewing skills too. You don't need to spend more money on a new DAT, and it's arguable how postbac classes will move the needle. You don't really need an SMP. You are well advised to rewrite all your essays except for the Institutional Actions/Background Check essays.

This might be one instance where applying to private OOS would help you, especially if the Texas schools use your reapp status against you somehow. It would require you doing some networking with OOS schools, and lucky for you... the virtual ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair is coming up!

The only thing that caught my eye was the August submission and the BCP GPA. For the BCP GPA, your DAT score proves that you have a strong grasp of the sciences. A few things come to mind if you don't get off the waitlist.....

1. Apply earlier. I submitted my either in June/July.
2. Re-examine your personal statement in case
3. Go through your interview again and see if there are some things to improve on.

Again, your stats are solid, better than mine when I was applying to the Texas schools.