California Health Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Text from site (not mine):

Health professionals, California needs you!
California is preparing for an increase in the number of people who urgently need health care in our communities during the COVID-19 outbreak. To meet this moment, we’re opening additional health care sites to treat people affected by COVID-19 and to relieve the pressure on our health care system by providing care for non-COVID-19 cases.

To ensure adequate staff for health care sites throughout California, we’re calling on healthcare providers, behavioral health professionals, and health care administrators to register today.

We need:

• Physicians (MD, DO), including medical students
  • Pharmacists
  • Dentists
  • Nurse practitioners
  • Physician assistants
  • Nurses (RN, LVN, CNA), including nursing students
  • Behavioral health professionals (psychiatrist, psychiatric technicians psychologist, psychiatric nurse practitioner, LCSW, LMFT, LPCC)
  • Respiratory therapists
  • Paramedics
  • Medical assistants
  • Emergency medical technicians
You will be paid and will be given malpractice insurance coverage. Locations will vary, but we will try to match your geographical preferences.

You have the opportunity to play a critical role in responding to this public health emergency in your region. To care for Californians who need your help, please sign up.

Step 1 – Are you eligible?
To be eligible for COVID-19 emergency medical staffing roles, you must:

• Be 18 years of age or over
  • Be eligible to work in the United States
  • Have a valid driver’s license or passport, and a social security card
  • Have a valid California License for clinical practice (if you are a MD, DO, etc.)
  • OR are a medical resident or nursing student
  • Have no negative licensure/certification actions (for licensed/certified professionals)
Step 2 – Register in the California Health Corps system
Both licensed professionals and students will have to register. This is the system we’ll use to verify your medical license (if you have one) and identify your deployment preferences.

Register now

Step 3 – Once verified, we will ask you to submit an application
This process may require you to fill out additional paperwork to complete the hiring process.

Step 4 – Once you’ve applied
We will review your skills, experience, location preferences and interests to see where you match our placement needs.

Step 5 – Finalize hiring and placement process
You will be hired at time of placement. Bring a formal valid driver’s license and a social security card to provide at time of hire.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Questions/comments from me:

1) CalMatters blog addresses questions/concerns

California starts recruiting retired and student doctors, nurses to handle surge in severely sick people | CalMatters

2) Site says licensed clinicians can apply, but the application has a drop down enabling you to pick "not licensed" so I feel that an out-of-state pharmacist can apply. In a true surge, license requirement can probably be waived if they're doing that for students.
We've contacted CalMatters to see how they envision medical student participation. At this point it's quite unclear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Do you think they provide housing for interested parties who are licensed in CA but do not reside there?

Also the VA has a posting for 120-day positions due to COVID. However, they can't even start looking at applications until the position closes at the end of April, so what's the point if you can't even get these people hired until June at the earliest?

25,000 people registered so far, not sure of the breakdown between professions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

We've contacted CalMatters to see how they envision medical student participation. At this point it's quite unclear.

BRN released its guidelines for student nurses, I imagine it would be sort of similar to physicians (I guess just think back to what you were decently capable of as an MS-3 and MS-4).

My guess is a lot of VS, triage, initial histories, etc... RN students would be starting IV’s and drawing labs, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I believe unemployed pharmacists and students might be needed as organ donors....

Reactions: 3 users
I tried to register for this, but in the demographic info section, it doesn't let you choose any other state besides CA as your state of residence... so unless I'm missing something, it looks like out-of-state applicants aren't eligible.

I tried to register for this, but in the demographic info section, it doesn't let you choose any other state besides CA as your state of residence... so unless I'm missing something, it looks like out-of-state applicants aren't eligible.
probably yes.

Questions/comments from me:

1) CalMatters blog addresses questions/concerns

California starts recruiting retired and student doctors, nurses to handle surge in severely sick people | CalMatters

2) Site says licensed clinicians can apply, but the application has a drop down enabling you to pick "not licensed" so I feel that an out-of-state pharmacist can apply. In a true surge, license requirement can probably be waived if they're doing that for students.

Do you think they will waive CPJE when it gets worse? And issue a permanent CA rph license for helpers?
I would move to help out if I could get a CA lic without testing...

Do you think they will waive CPJE when it gets worse? And issue a permanent CA rph license for helpers?

They might as well hand out pharmacist licenses. Pay $200k, here's your PharmD! Pay $1000, here's your license! Why waste all those years on faculty and infrastructure?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

There is no shortage of pharmacists. We are not exactly in the front line right now.

From what I have been hearing, retail is getting less business after the initial surge.

I'm from the southeast, and I attempted to complete the application to work with the CA Health Corps. last night. The issue I ran into is that when filling out the demographic information, the form already has CA pre-selected as the applicant's state of residence, and there's literally no way to select a different state. I'm assuming that this is their way of conveying that they only want to work with pharmacists who are already based in CA.

I'm from the southeast, and I attempted to complete the application to work with the CA Health Corps. last night. The issue I ran into is that when filling out the demographic information, the form already has CA pre-selected as the applicant's state of residence, and there's literally no way to select a different state. I'm assuming that this is their way of conveying that they only want to work with pharmacists who are already based in CA.

Possibly, I think they were waiting to see who was in-state and available first before having to pull in from outside.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no shortage of pharmacists. We are not exactly in the front line right now.

From what I have been hearing, retail is getting less business after the initial surge.
3M filing unemployment in March, what do you think it's gonna happen to retailers?

Somewhat related, today NABP announced an online program to temporarily become licensed in another state:

Although CA is not currently listed in states accepting the "NABP Passport":

• Love
Somewhat related, today NABP announced an online program to temporarily become licensed in another state:

Although CA is not currently listed in states accepting the "NABP Passport":

We already have a bunch of pharmacists in California! No need to import more. We shouldn’t be taking pharmacists from other states.

Individual state licenses are a relic anyway. We should already be able to move from state to state without a hassle anyway. I hope this sticks around permanently.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Individual state licenses are a relic anyway. We should already be able to from state to state without a hassle anyway. I hope this sticks around permanently.

Then there won’t be many pharmacists in fly over states.

Also the VA has a posting for 120-day positions due to COVID. However, they can't even start looking at applications until the position closes at the end of April, so what's the point if you can't even get these people hired until June at the earliest?

No, that's been changed to revolving. This was a direct order from USH to fix. That said, HR can still screw this up hard.

No, that's been changed to revolving. This was a direct order from USH to fix. That said, HR can still screw this up hard.

Just curious, what does revolving mean? That they're able to begin the hiring process for specific applicants without having to wait until after the announcement closes?

Just curious, what does revolving mean? That they're able to begin the hiring process for specific applicants without having to wait until after the announcement closes?
Correct, they are definitely not waiting to closing. They are reviewing applications as they come in as there is no quota for the round end.

Correct, they are definitely not waiting to closing. They are reviewing applications as they come in as there is no quota for the round end.

I actually submitted my application about a day ago. I kind of doubt I'll be considered for a position since I haven't graduated and therefore don't have a license yet (I just uploaded one of my state intern licenses to fulfill the step of uploading something in the licensure section - it wouldn't let me submit my application without uploading something in the space).

I actually submitted my application about a day ago. I kind of doubt I'll be considered for a position since I haven't graduated and therefore don't have a license yet (I just uploaded one of my state intern licenses to fulfill the step of uploading something in the licensure section - it wouldn't let me submit my application without uploading something in the space).

Yes because they want licensed pharmacists. That is why it did not let you apply without uploading.

Yes because they want licensed pharmacists. That is why it did not let you apply without uploading.

In that case, I guess I'll just have to hope that they'll still be actively hiring this summer after I've gotten licensed.

I signed up a few days ago but no follow up yet.
I live in CA with an active license.

Supposedly IL is going to do something similar, but I haven't seen anything official (just rumor.) IL has lengthened everyone's licenses for 6 months (pharmacist licenses originally all expired March 31st.)