California law question: Address on controls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work for a Walgreens in California. My Pharmacy manager seems to think that all controls need to have the address on the front of the prescription.

From what I can tell, the law only says that it must have the address on the prescription. We put a backtag on each prescription and it has the patient's address from their profile. I belive this would meet the requirement for California law. My Manager seems to think a sticker doesn't count.

Who is right?

Members don't see this ad.

I work for a Walgreens in California. My Pharmacy manager seems to think that all controls need to have the address on the front of the prescription.

From what I can tell, the law only says that it must have the address on the prescription. We put a backtag on each prescription and it has the patient's address from their profile. I belive this would meet the requirement for California law. My Manager seems to think a sticker doesn't count.
Who is right?

CVS has the same requirements as far as requiring the address to be written on the actual face of the prescription to be 'acceptable'. Maybe the back-tag is "legal", maybe it's not, but as far as from a corporate standpoint (at least CVS) is concerned it must be on the face of the prescription. My guess is that Walgreens is the same, but perhaps Lnsean or wagrxm2000 can back me up on this one?

"(2) The prescription shall also contain the address of the person for whom the controlled substance is prescribed. If the prescriber does not specify this address on the prescription, the pharmacist filling the prescription or an employee acting under the direction of the pharmacist shall write or type the address on the prescription or maintain this information in a readily retrievable form in the pharmacy."

the answer to your question is that it is not required by BOP. However, it is required to be "readily retrievable". The best way to make it readily retrievable is to write it on the front of the RX bc your tech may put the wrong backtag on the RX and your pharmacy's system may get hacked by russians, who will delete all records.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Who is right?

You are right as far as the law is concerned. You don't even need the address anywhere on the actual rx. Company policy is another story.

Nothing addresses front versus back. But seeing that a prescription can be considered a legal document it would not be the usual course of practice to place required information on the back of the paper when there is no need to put any of the basic elements of a valid prescription on the back (there should be enough space on the front).

Yeah **** you Kaiser.