You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
can you work in california as a pharmacist with a dwi conviction?
Started by bigpilllilpill
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
The answer is you would have to go before them given that. CA Board is inefficient at the best of times, but with a case like yours, you'd have to spend about a year or two petitioning as you would have to petition prior to the CPJE and when you license there. Also, with terminations from both major companies, you are radioactive to Safeway or Sutter in Nor Cal (Sutter has an internal policy never to hire terminated pharmacists) and unlikely to get a job at Kaiser or the UC systems.
If anyone traces the history of this account, either this is the most entertaining self-inflicted shaggy dog story I have read in some time, or it's a troll with a great sense of humor. Fired from CVS, fired from Walgreens, and a likely board sanctioned record. Might as well complete the trifecta and get fired from Walmart next in Susanville.
If anyone traces the history of this account, either this is the most entertaining self-inflicted shaggy dog story I have read in some time, or it's a troll with a great sense of humor. Fired from CVS, fired from Walgreens, and a likely board sanctioned record. Might as well complete the trifecta and get fired from Walmart next in Susanville.
Your story just keeps getting more interesting with every post.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alcohol or stolen prescription Percocet? I'm sure the BOP will ask, so you might as well tell us.
When I was in pharmacy school, we took this professional practice class, which was mostly a few months of NAPLEX/MJPE review. I remember the professor [who may have also been a lawyer...pharmacy school is fuzzy] telling the class that you had to disclose any convictions to the Board and this included DUIs. Half the class groans audibly. As far as I know, they all got licensed. Note: This was a state where drunk driving was far more socially acceptable than it is in California.
Did you go to school in Wisconsin?When I was in pharmacy school, we took this professional practice class, which was mostly a few months of NAPLEX/MJPE review. I remember the professor [who may have also been a lawyer...pharmacy school is fuzzy] telling the class that you had to disclose any convictions to the Board and this included DUIs. Half the class groans audibly. As far as I know, they all got licensed. Note: This was a state where drunk driving was far more socially acceptable than it is in California.
Close enough.Did you go to school in Wisconsin?
Here I was thinking DUIs were the state sport of Wisconsin alone. I remember meeting a guy from there who casually said he was on his third DUI. Was bewildered when I asked more questions about that.Close enough.
Certainly entertaining. Lord999 has hit the nail, right on the head!does anyone know?
If most of your thread starters contain, even a little bit, of truth, you, bro, need to find another line of work. Are you open to suggestions?
Having been a pharmacist for 37 years, I just can't see why State Boards have any say in any activity, not related to your work?
Why would a DUI, totally unrelated to your work, land you in trouble with the board? Or, domestic violence, or shoplifting or other misdemeanors?
I know a pharmacist that went in front of the Georgia Board of Pharmacy for non-payment of Child Support (a huge amount). Just don't understand their jurisdiction reach!
i have not been fired from walgreensThe answer is you would have to go before them given that. CA Board is inefficient at the best of times, but with a case like yours, you'd have to spend about a year or two petitioning as you would have to petition prior to the CPJE and when you license there. Also, with terminations from both major companies, you are radioactive to Safeway or Sutter in Nor Cal (Sutter has an internal policy never to hire terminated pharmacists) and unlikely to get a job at Kaiser or the UC systems.
If anyone traces the history of this account, either this is the most entertaining self-inflicted shaggy dog story I have read in some time, or it's a troll with a great sense of humor. Fired from CVS, fired from Walgreens, and a likely board sanctioned record. Might as well complete the trifecta and get fired from Walmart next in Susanville.
Did you go to school in Wisconsin?
I assumed New Mexico.
Mother of God...
I know a pharmacist with DUI who works in a retail store no one wants to work in California
really? so my career isnt over? ive been trying to find what profession to go into in place of pharmacyI know a pharmacist with DUI who works in a retail store no one wants to work in California
did they get the dui as a pharmacist or as an intern or as an applicant. i believe they go easier on you from undergrad and being an intern versus when youre an actual pharmacistI know a pharmacist with DUI who works in a retail store no one wants to work in California
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you considered bartending? Bartenders out my way make $50 an hour easily.really? so my career isnt over? ive been trying to find what profession to go into in place of pharmacy
Didn't cali revoke the license (or at least deny) of the guy selling counterfeit t-shirts?
That being said I live in the conservative (ish) south where I know 3 people with MJ convictions that never lost their license.
So YMMV
That being said I live in the conservative (ish) south where I know 3 people with MJ convictions that never lost their license.
So YMMV
yet.....i have not been fired from walgreens
does anyone know?
So this woman just had her license suspended. California pharmacist sentenced to 15 years in prison, $11.1 million in restitution for defrauding Amtrak and military health care plans | AMTRAK Office Of Inspector General
It looks like the suspension can (will?) be lifted when the felon is no longer incarcerated.
really? so my career isnt over? ive been trying to find what profession to go into in place of pharmacy
I don't know the details nor your personal situation. But they're out there
Have you considered bartending? Bartenders out my way make $50 an hour easily.
What am I doing making $40/h working 30h/week getting yelled at by Karen every 5 minutes for not having Adderall in stock
detailsWhat am I doing making $40/h working 30h/week getting yelled at by Karen every 5 minutes for not having Adderall in stock
I'm not familiar with your history like Lord is. But a couple of things, 1) CA is the hardest state in the US to get licensed in. Given that you already have "baggage", trying to get into CA is a bad idea. 2) what is your home licensing state? That is where you should be working at. If your license has been revoked/suspended/probationed in your home state, that will follow you to any state you try to move to. So you need to make amends in your home state. 3) Most states have substance use programs for professionals. So yes, you can work as a pharmacist even if you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse, but they will likely require you participate in their program. 4) while there are exceptions to everything, most places that have fired you will not rehire you. To get an exception, you need to know someone high up in the company *and* have a several year work history without any problems since then. If you were on the verge of being fired, but quit before being fired, most likely it will be marked in your file to treat you as if you had been fired. 5) I've never heard of someone losing their license, or even getting in trouble with the board for a simple DUI. Obviously, if your DUI was due to illegal drugs, that is different from being due to alcohol, legal drugs, lack of sleep, etc.
MJ convictions are different than DWI convictionsDidn't cali revoke the license (or at least deny) of the guy selling counterfeit t-shirts?
That being said I live in the conservative (ish) south where I know 3 people with MJ convictions that never lost their license.
So YMMV
inhalant. difluoroethane. i.e.computer cleanerAlcohol or stolen prescription Percocet? I'm sure the BOP will ask, so you might as well tell us.
I recently had a dude die from that - you don't even have to huff much, it is the adrenaline surge you get when getting caught - then your heart does the v-fib thing - be carefulinhalant. difluoroethane. i.e.computer cleaner
I was enjoying this troll post until now.I recently had a dude die from that - you don't even have to huff much, it is the adrenaline surge you get when getting caught - then your heart does the v-fib thing - be careful
This response made me laugh more than I should. Ya. I am going to hell.I was enjoying this troll post until now.
The practice of pharmacy nowadays is so conducive to developing a substance abuse problem you'd think the boards wouldn't even bat an eye....
Get some help my dude. Not even kidding.i dont care if i die. i want to die
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ok seriously, I do not know you, but reach out to a loved one and seek the help you needi dont care if i die. i want to die
We take threats of self-harm seriously.
Referrals have been made.
We wish OP well.
Referrals have been made.
We wish OP well.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 560
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K