can you work in california as a pharmacist with a dwi conviction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpilllilpill

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is you would have to go before them given that. CA Board is inefficient at the best of times, but with a case like yours, you'd have to spend about a year or two petitioning as you would have to petition prior to the CPJE and when you license there. Also, with terminations from both major companies, you are radioactive to Safeway or Sutter in Nor Cal (Sutter has an internal policy never to hire terminated pharmacists) and unlikely to get a job at Kaiser or the UC systems.

If anyone traces the history of this account, either this is the most entertaining self-inflicted shaggy dog story I have read in some time, or it's a troll with a great sense of humor. Fired from CVS, fired from Walgreens, and a likely board sanctioned record. Might as well complete the trifecta and get fired from Walmart next in Susanville.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Your story just keeps getting more interesting with every post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alcohol or stolen prescription Percocet? I'm sure the BOP will ask, so you might as well tell us.

Reactions: 1 users
When I was in pharmacy school, we took this professional practice class, which was mostly a few months of NAPLEX/MJPE review. I remember the professor [who may have also been a lawyer...pharmacy school is fuzzy] telling the class that you had to disclose any convictions to the Board and this included DUIs. Half the class groans audibly. As far as I know, they all got licensed. Note: This was a state where drunk driving was far more socially acceptable than it is in California.

When I was in pharmacy school, we took this professional practice class, which was mostly a few months of NAPLEX/MJPE review. I remember the professor [who may have also been a lawyer...pharmacy school is fuzzy] telling the class that you had to disclose any convictions to the Board and this included DUIs. Half the class groans audibly. As far as I know, they all got licensed. Note: This was a state where drunk driving was far more socially acceptable than it is in California.
Did you go to school in Wisconsin?

does anyone know?
Certainly entertaining. Lord999 has hit the nail, right on the head!
If most of your thread starters contain, even a little bit, of truth, you, bro, need to find another line of work. Are you open to suggestions?
Having been a pharmacist for 37 years, I just can't see why State Boards have any say in any activity, not related to your work?
Why would a DUI, totally unrelated to your work, land you in trouble with the board? Or, domestic violence, or shoplifting or other misdemeanors?
I know a pharmacist that went in front of the Georgia Board of Pharmacy for non-payment of Child Support (a huge amount). Just don't understand their jurisdiction reach!

Reactions: 1 user
The answer is you would have to go before them given that. CA Board is inefficient at the best of times, but with a case like yours, you'd have to spend about a year or two petitioning as you would have to petition prior to the CPJE and when you license there. Also, with terminations from both major companies, you are radioactive to Safeway or Sutter in Nor Cal (Sutter has an internal policy never to hire terminated pharmacists) and unlikely to get a job at Kaiser or the UC systems.

If anyone traces the history of this account, either this is the most entertaining self-inflicted shaggy dog story I have read in some time, or it's a troll with a great sense of humor. Fired from CVS, fired from Walgreens, and a likely board sanctioned record. Might as well complete the trifecta and get fired from Walmart next in Susanville.
i have not been fired from walgreens

I know a pharmacist with DUI who works in a retail store no one wants to work in California

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a pharmacist with DUI who works in a retail store no one wants to work in California
did they get the dui as a pharmacist or as an intern or as an applicant. i believe they go easier on you from undergrad and being an intern versus when youre an actual pharmacist

Didn't cali revoke the license (or at least deny) of the guy selling counterfeit t-shirts?

That being said I live in the conservative (ish) south where I know 3 people with MJ convictions that never lost their license.

So YMMV

I'm not familiar with your history like Lord is. But a couple of things, 1) CA is the hardest state in the US to get licensed in. Given that you already have "baggage", trying to get into CA is a bad idea. 2) what is your home licensing state? That is where you should be working at. If your license has been revoked/suspended/probationed in your home state, that will follow you to any state you try to move to. So you need to make amends in your home state. 3) Most states have substance use programs for professionals. So yes, you can work as a pharmacist even if you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse, but they will likely require you participate in their program. 4) while there are exceptions to everything, most places that have fired you will not rehire you. To get an exception, you need to know someone high up in the company *and* have a several year work history without any problems since then. If you were on the verge of being fired, but quit before being fired, most likely it will be marked in your file to treat you as if you had been fired. 5) I've never heard of someone losing their license, or even getting in trouble with the board for a simple DUI. Obviously, if your DUI was due to illegal drugs, that is different from being due to alcohol, legal drugs, lack of sleep, etc.

Didn't cali revoke the license (or at least deny) of the guy selling counterfeit t-shirts?

That being said I live in the conservative (ish) south where I know 3 people with MJ convictions that never lost their license.

So YMMV
MJ convictions are different than DWI convictions

inhalant. difluoroethane. i.e.computer cleaner
I recently had a dude die from that - you don't even have to huff much, it is the adrenaline surge you get when getting caught - then your heart does the v-fib thing - be careful

I recently had a dude die from that - you don't even have to huff much, it is the adrenaline surge you get when getting caught - then your heart does the v-fib thing - be careful
I was enjoying this troll post until now.

Reactions: 1 users
The practice of pharmacy nowadays is so conducive to developing a substance abuse problem you'd think the boards wouldn't even bat an eye....

Status
Not open for further replies.