California law question regarding script clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rolltide23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was working through question sets and came across this:

A patient comes into the pharmacy with a new prescription for triamcinolone 0.1%. The pharmacy technician realizes that triamcinolone comes both as a cream and an ointment. The technician phones the physician's office to ask for clarification on the prescription. The nurse checks the patient's chart and tells the technician that the physician prescribed the ointment. Which of the following is the MOST APPROPRIATE action of the technician?
A. Do not fill the prescription because the physician was not notified.
B. Do not fill the prescription because the cream is most commonly dispensed.
C. Fill the prescription since the order was clarified by the technician.
D. Fill the prescription once the pharmacist clarifies the order with the physician's office.

The answer is D. So I just wanted to double check: does this mean in California, technicians are not able to call the doctor and clarify prescriptions? Only the pharmacist or intern can do that?

I am from out of state and also didn't work in retail during school so I'm trying to get all these things straight. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, technician ONLY can call for refill when there is no change in the prescription. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Was working through question sets and came across this:

A patient comes into the pharmacy with a new prescription for triamcinolone 0.1%. The pharmacy technician realizes that triamcinolone comes both as a cream and an ointment. The technician phones the physician's office to ask for clarification on the prescription. The nurse checks the patient's chart and tells the technician that the physician prescribed the ointment. Which of the following is the MOST APPROPRIATE action of the technician?
A. Do not fill the prescription because the physician was not notified.
B. Do not fill the prescription because the cream is most commonly dispensed.
C. Fill the prescription since the order was clarified by the technician.
D. Fill the prescription once the pharmacist clarifies the order with the physician's office.

The answer is D. So I just wanted to double check: does this mean in California, technicians are not able to call the doctor and clarify prescriptions? Only the pharmacist or intern can do that?

I am from out of state and also didn't work in retail during school so I'm trying to get all these things straight. Thanks!

I havn't passed my CPJE, but I am pretty sure only Pharmacist and Interns can change/clarify a script. I'm not too sure a technician can call for a refill. I remember reading it in the CPJE book. I went to school in IL just an fyi