California licence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icandoit_7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I understood that the FCVS will send the the Medical diploma and the transcript to the medical board of California. There is a forum called certification of medical education that needs to be submitted directly from medical school. Are there any other forms that needs to be submitted from medical school.?

Also, I will soon be PGY3, when am I supposed to apply for California license? , I am doing my residency in Florida .

Anyone tried FCVS for licensing ?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

If you are an AMG, I don't think you need to use FCVS. Save that $375! Just fill out the paperwork you need and ask your medical school to send your transcript and your residency program to send the GME certificate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I understood that the FCVS will send the the Medical diploma and the transcript to the medical board of California. There is a forum called certification of medical education that needs to be submitted directly from medical school. Are there any other forms that needs to be submitted from medical school.?

Also, I will soon be PGY3, when am I supposed to apply for California license? , I am doing my residency in Florida .

Anyone tried FCVS for licensing ?

Thank You
Hi! I was wondering if you ever got the answer the when you are supposed to apply for a California license if you did your out of state residency as an AMG? The whole process seems confusing...

I have not because I am IMG still waiting on FCVS first but then I will apply as soon as I get it.
For California license,There’s online application and high fees in addition to a paper needs to be notarized and mailed to MbC

Hi! I was wondering if you ever got the answer the when you are supposed to apply for a California license if you did your out of state residency as an AMG? The whole process seems confusing...
At least 6 to 9 months before you plan to start using it. It takes a while for them to process the initial license.

At least 6 to 9 months before you plan to start using it. It takes a while for them to process the initial license.

Mine was a little more than a month. If you are a US grad without a criminal history, your rate determining step is the background check and your residency program/med school sending the paperwork. Try to get a live scan (MUCH faster).

Mine was a little more than a month. If you are a US grad without a criminal history, your rate determining step is the background check and your residency program/med school sending the paperwork. Try to get a live scan (MUCH faster).
That is a big change from previous. I was a us grad in residency with a clear background and I did live scan. Applied in january for july when I needed to have a full license and the people processing applications took all the applications for folks who needed it for residency and fast tracked them for approval just days prior to july 1. Perhaps they are better staffed now?

It only took me about two months or so to get my full CA license once I had everything in. Was actually about the same hassle as the other states I was licensed in. But I’ve heard others had more issues.

Still, I’d recommend people apply far in advance for any state licensing, particularly if they’ve worked at a number of different hospitals. Particularly for a state like CA that’s known for a baseline level of government/bearocratic dysfunction.

It only took me about two months or so to get my full CA license once I had everything in. Was actually about the same hassle as the other states I was licensed in. But I’ve heard others had more issues.

Still, I’d recommend people apply far in advance for any state licensing, particularly if they’ve worked at a number of different hospitals. Particularly for a state like CA that’s known for a baseline level of government/bearocratic dysfunction.

I think that boards get much busier at certain times of the year (Spring/Summer). I have two state licenses that were both issued pretty quickly (CA 5 weeks, FL 4 days), but I applied for both in November when it’s probably slower.

I think that boards get much busier at certain times of the year (Spring/Summer). I have two state licenses that were both issued pretty quickly (CA 5 weeks, FL 4 days), but I applied for both in November when it’s probably slower.

That would make sense. I think I applied around Nov/Dec as well, anticipating a long processing delay and a start time around July.