California Medical License Initial Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sss2g2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I could get some help here. Currently a PGY3 finishing up residency out of state applying for California Medical License. Have several job offers lined up and I'm not sure what to tell them regarding my licensing. Do we not get the license until we finish residency? There is a form to submit for the application by the residency program/director that says to not fill out prior to 30 days before the end of completion. That means the earliest it can be filled out is June 1. Can any PGY3 who has recently applied for their full license explain the process?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recall having to wait to get a form filled out, but I was in fellowship so perhaps the form you're referring to was only required by residency and now fellowship directors. I started applying for my license in January, and I think I got it by February. I wish the DMV was as efficient.

If the form can't be filled out until 30 days prior to completion of residency, then it can't be filled out until then. But you can fill everything else out/submit it, and they'll process as much as they can up unto a certain point, and then your application will get held while they wait for the remaining documentation. But then once they get that they can pick up where they left off.

I assume you have or will shortly pick a job? If so, their onboarding office will help walk you through this. They will know exactly what to do.

Yup that’s exactly what’s going on. Thank you. Something just recently opened up and worried I won’t get the licensing in on time from the horror stories I’ve heard of waiting 6+ months

Yup that’s exactly what’s going on. Thank you. Something just recently opened up and worried I won’t get the licensing in on time from the horror stories I’ve heard of waiting 6+ months
I heard those too, but I think that's more likely to be people that have had privileges at multiple hospitals. I was surprised at how quick CA was, at least in my case. I can walk in and out of the DMV in few midwestern states with new license/plates in 30 minutes but in CA it's a half day affair. Yet somehow they got me my medical license quickly.

Your new places will want you to work day 1. But they want you more than you want them, so if there's a licensing delay they'll likely work around you. I remember at least two attendings in residency that literally sat around doing nothing because they were still waiting for some final license (I think they were waiting for a fluoroscopy license? They were hired for 100% interventional positions. Also knew a surgeon who was on staff for a month or two before her final licensing/certifications/hospital privileges all came through.

It takes time. So you just prep what you can and let the chips fall where they may.

Speaking of which, if you need hospital privileges, start applying for those as early as possible as well.

I thought California only required 1 year of ACGME training. Are you sure the form doesn't say to fill out within 30 days of completion of your PGY-1 year?

You must have 12 months of ACGME residency for US graduates or 24 months of ACGME residency for international graduates for your initial license. However, when you renew your license, you must have 36 months of ACGME residency in order to renew in California.